[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Joe Paterno is at death's door

Menudo

Yep

What's also amazing is that you won't allow people to have a different opinion than yours. You also have no idea what happened. So, either you or wrong or I am wrong on what we THINK happened. We both are looking at this from the same biased perspective. You have your opinion of how he should be viewed and I have mine. Neither of us knows for sure what happened. So to pile on to people that believe he deserves the scorn he is getting is just as bad as what you are accusing the haters of.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And you are usually above this type of name calling. Pretty much shows you that you aren't thinking clearly. Especially when you align yourself with the guy you did.

I didn't call anyone any names. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

not sure if he's passed or not, but I do believe he made his peace with the Lord, and at the very moment he did that, his slate is wiped clean and God forgave him and instantly hit the reset button. What a comforting feeling that is:)

What makes you believe he did that? He might have but I don't know what lead to this post.

not sure if he's passed or not, but I do believe he made his peace with the Lord, and at the very moment he did that, his slate is wiped clean and God forgave him and instantly hit the reset button. What a comforting feeling that is:)

:wacko:

I didn't call anyone any names. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

QUOTE (BeeR @ 1/21/12 10:06pm)

Pointless to get into the scandal bit already been bantered back n forth ad nauseum. Most of the witch burning mob isn't interested (if even capable) of rational discussion or thought anyway.

Horribly sad end to an amazing career and amazing man, despite whatever failings he had or mistakes he made. Shame that he didn't have time to address any of this further. Thoughts and prayers to his family.

Can't wait for the no-class jabs from the assorted losers on this site. 3...2...1...

Menudo "Yep"--------------------

Yes you did...and your earlier comments don't sound like someone that feels like everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Edited by caddyman

[/b]

QUOTE (BeeR @ 1/21/12 10:06pm)

Pointless to get into the scandal bit already been bantered back n forth ad nauseum. Most of the witch burning mob isn't interested (if even capable) of rational discussion or thought anyway.

Horribly sad end to an amazing career and amazing man, despite whatever failings he had or mistakes he made. Shame that he didn't have time to address any of this further. Thoughts and prayers to his family.

Can't wait for the no-class jabs from the assorted losers on this site. 3...2...1...

Menudo "Yep"--------------------

Yes you did...and your earlier comments don't sound like someone that feels like everyone is entitled to their opinion.

No, I didn't call anyone any names. I said "yep" to Beer's comment that it is pointless to argue, as no one is changing anyone's opinion. I highlighted the other part, as I did expect some comments lacking class considering the situation.

Listen, this is a man that I respected a great deal. Living 20 minutes from State College, and attending hundreds of football games and wrestling matches. I'm of the opinion that Joe Paterno is not only a good man, but, a phenomenal man. I believe that he felt he reported the incident to the proper authorities, but, as he even admitted, he should have done more. What speaks loudly to me is the comments from his former players and assistant coaches. To a man, they absolutely love him. It goes further than most coach/player relationships. They all speak of how he continued to follow-up with them about their lives, and he took great pride in their successes. They all also speak of how he always cared more about them as a man than as a football player. The respect and admiration they all feel for this man comes through as clear as can be. I happen to trust their opinion of the man, as they knew him better than you or I ever did.

I do apologize for my initial defensive reactions. A man that I think a lot of was close to death, and I may not have handled myself in the best manner.

RIP joe paterno. :wacko:

Bringing uP the incident is pretty dumb right now, no matter what side you land on.

Agree with you and others who said this. I should have just brought up his condition and stated my feelings about him.

Regardless of how many people think/guess he handled things when times were bad...there is no question he was exceptional at many other times of his life, and should be celebrated for it. Many people are able to overcome bad things in their life by doing good things later in life...should Paterno be held to a different standard, just because the (alleged) bad thing happened after 50 years of doing good?

My heart goes out to the PSU and Paterno families...RIP.

Regardless of how many people think/guess he handled things when times were bad...there is no question he was exceptional at many other times of his life, and should be celebrated for it. Many people are able to overcome bad things in their life by doing good things later in life...should Paterno be held to a different standard, just because the (alleged) bad thing happened after 50 years of doing good?

My heart goes out to the PSU and Paterno families...RIP.

This. Nicely said Swammi.

RIP Joe. :wacko:

Bringing uP the incident is pretty dumb right now, no matter what side you land on.

Well, since he died, a discussion of his legacy will now naturally ensue. And a part of that discussion is that little boys may have been molested because of his failure to act.

The magnitude of that failure and overall importance to his legacy is up to the individual.

I think this article says it pretty well: :wacko:

"When time does what it does, and the full measure is taken, Joe Paterno’s legacy will be a fine and remarkable thing. It will be very close to what the great man hoped and dreamed during his decades as a college professor whose discipline happened to be football.

Paterno was a winner, on the field and in almost every area that mattered.

He was not perfect, which was true before the terrible Jerry Sandusky story broke. That dreadful scandal may have robbed Paterno of the appropriate end to his coaching career, and almost certainly sped up the end of his life, but it will not ultimately rob him of his reputation. That was built carefully, brick by brick, over decades of hard work, uncommon decency and unyielding integrity. It is a sound structure that was rocked, but not destroyed, by the hurricane that has blown through State College since November.

Death and mercy came to Joseph Vincent Paterno Sunday. Surrounded by his beloved wife Sue and their family, the coach was carried off on the phantom shoulders of the hundreds, even thousands, of young men whose lives he enriched over six decades at Penn State.

Death comes to us all. It is mercy when it eases pain too great to bear. For Paterno, the pain of what transpired over the past few months was surely as great as the cancer that officially claimed him. He is free from that pain now.

There was pain over the loss of his job, of course, and over the inability to leave it on his own terms after such a long and stellar career.

But his deepest pain was for the university to which Paterno devoted his life. To say he was the Nittany Lions football coach would be to say Steve Jobs worked in computers, or that Walt Disney was a cartoonist. The man was larger than the university where he worked, than the sport that he coached.

That was both his greatest achievement and, in the end, part of his downfall. If you appreciated Paterno for assuming his position as a much needed conscience of college sports, and for his singular status as the most important man in Happy Valley, then you had to be disappointed by his failure to meet his own standards when confronted with Sandusky’s heinous alleged behavior.

This is not a contradiction. Indeed, you got the distinct impression that Paterno was disappointed in himself. He said in an early statement that he wished he had “done more.” His interview with Sally Jenkins of the Washington Post last week – which turns out to be his final say on the matter – was tinged with sadness and with regret. If you cared about Paterno, if you believed in him, you detected sorrow in every word.

This is the third and final time Sandusky’s name will appear in this column. It is unfortunate that his name is linked with Paterno’s at all. There is no getting around the connection – not after the breathtaking sequence that began with the release of the grand jury report, the dismissal of Paterno, the housecleaning in the PSU administration, the revelation that Paterno had lung cancer and now, with shocking finality, his death.

For decades, Paterno made time stand still in State College. His team dressed and (sometimes to its disadvantage) played as if the calendar still said 1965. Paterno conducted himself like a courtly gentleman of some previous era. He wore the same thick glasses, sported the same thick black hair, ran onto the field in the same high-water khakis.

Nothing ever changed. And then everything did. Suddenly, cruelly.

It is possible to believe that Paterno could not continue representing Penn State as its head coach and also believe that he’d done so with great distinction for an incredibly long time.

It is possible to believe he should have done more when confronted with real evil and also believe that he was a good and decent and admirable human being.

It is impossible to turn back time and give everyone involved a do-over. Joe Paterno, the man, is gone now. It is sadly true that much of what he believed in and represented was already gone from college sports and society at large. But quite a bit of what remains does so because he instilled it in lives he influenced directly and indirectly, in former players and Penn State alums and those who admired him and his teams from afar.

Joe Paterno was a force for good for most of a long and wonderful life. When the full measure is taken, that will outweigh the terrible events of these last few months.

Penn State already has hired a new football coach. It will never have another soul. That was Paterno. That is Paterno. Time will take care of the rest."

Edited by Menudo

but it wasn't a scandal. Cheating on his wife is a scandal. Children getting raped is one of the most horrible crimes of all crimes. I don't know the facts and certainly not the truth on Paterno's involvement or not in this. If one or more child was molested, then it's far more horrible than a scandal.

No argument there. I think those convicted of committing horrible acts on children should be given life in prison at a minimum.

And a part of that discussion is that little boys may have been molested because of his failure to act Jerry Sandusky is a pedophile.

fixed for accuracy.

A quick search will tell you that I raosted Paterno for his failure to act, and felt it was 100% right that he should be canned.

But please, get serious....little boys were not raped because of Joe Paterno.

but it wasn't a scandal. Cheating on his wife is a scandal. Children getting raped is one of the most horrible crimes of all crimes. I don't know the facts and certainly not the truth on Paterno's involvement or not in this. If one or more child was molested, then it's far more horrible than a scandal.

I respect Joe Paterno for what he did for Penn State and the coach that he was. And it is never easy to see an icon of his stature die, especially considering the circumstances that were brought to light the last six months of his life. This can't be easy for his family.

But I would also say this, Joe Paterno was an icon of the school, of even college football, and affected many people in his life. To say that he did what he was supposed to do and contacted campus police and that was all that he was required to do is unbelievable to me. If Joe Paterno is the icon oft mentioned, he then commands a certain amount of prestige and power, none of which methinks he threw around to get to the bottom of the allegations when they first came up. As a caring person and new father, if this same information were laid at my doorstep, I'd move heaven and earth to get to the bottom of it and make sure it stopped and hang those individuals involved.

It is for that reason that I, a casual fan of college football, can easily turn the other cheek to Joe Paterno.

What I find most interesting is how quickly his health failed and then he died, so soon after getting canned. It's a phenomenon that's not uncommon, people dying shortly after retiring or losing a spouse. Amazing how the mind and body are connected -- you lose the will to live and it's like a light switch gets turned off inside.

I couldn't give a wet fart about his legacy. I hope there is swift justice for Sandusky and those kids can find a semblance of a life.