[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL adding new fantasy game with $1 million prize

BillyBalata

NEW YORK (AP) — The NFL wants to add even more fans to the millions already following the sport — and is willing to pay $1 million to do it.

The league will run an ad during the Super Bowl introducing the "Perfect Challenge," a deceptively simple new fantasy game.

Each week, participants must pick an eight-player lineup out of the entire NFL. If every selection earns the most fantasy points at their position in a given week, the owner wins $1 million.

The lineups must feature one quarterback, two running backs, two wide receivers, one tight end, one kicker and one defense/special teams unit. The game is free.

For a sense of the difficulty of picking the perfect lineup, consider that last season 16 different kickers earned the most points (including ties) for at least one week under the standard NFL.com scoring system.

Yes, the hugely popular NFL believes it's missing out on potential fans, so it's making a splash with the $1 million prize. An estimated 15 million to 20 million people already play fantasy football, but then again, last year's Super Bowl was watched by 111 million viewers.

Regular fantasy football requires the organization to set up a league at the start of the season and the commitment to attend a draft and update a lineup every week. The Perfect Challenge requires less time and knowledge, and fans can play as many or as few weeks as they'd like.

For those avid fans already hooked on fantasy, it's an opportunity to compete for something even if that team they drafted in early September is already eliminated from playoff contention.

"Male, female, younger, older — this appeals across the board," said Jeff Berman, the NFL's digital media chief. "Obviously having the prize component gives an extra reason."

The league's hope is that the people who play fantasy for the first time through the Challenge start paying more attention to the sport — maybe they watch the Thursday night game on NFL Network, or buy official merchandise.

"Bringing new players into the fold is good for football overall," Berman said.

Organizations can offer $1 million prizes in initiatives like this with the help of the insurance. For the NFL, having to distribute the big payday would carry the kind of buzz the league wants from this program.

"We'd be thrilled for somebody to pick the perfect lineup and win the prize," Berman said. "That would be a terrific outcome."

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

fwiw, week 1 top scorers were (using SOFA scoring)

Brady

Ray Rice

Tolbert

Welker

Calvin Johnson

Scott Chandler

Akers

Bears and Ravens

It's the Tolbert and Scott Chandlers of the world that make the odds of anyone ever getting it right loooooooooooooong

fwiw, week 1 top scorers were (using SOFA scoring)

Brady

Ray Rice

Tolbert

Welker

Calvin Johnson

Scott Chandler

Akers

Bears and Ravens

It's the Tolbert and Scott Chandlers of the world that make the odds of anyone ever getting it right loooooooooooooong

I'd put money that everyone who plays will be out of the running after the first week.

You'd have better odds on the lottery.

I was taking this as a flippant comment, but actually, it's true.

Mathematically speaking, I believe the odds are way longer than the lottery. Care to demonstrate anyone? :wacko:

Mathematically speaking, I believe the odds are way longer than the lottery. Care to demonstrate anyone? :wacko:

The factors you would have to figure in just to come up with a reasonable number are ridiculous.

Assume there are 32 QB capable of being #1, 48 RBs, 96WRs, 48TE, 32K, 32 D, then odds would be something like 1 in 1,811,939,328 of getting them all right.

So the chances are much slimmer than a typical lottery, but at least you can't "lose".

Why? Every week is a new game, so you have just as good (or bad) a chance the next week.

My bad, I first read it as having to pick the top scoring players all 16 weeks to win the million. So, potentially they could give out as much as $16 million, correct? That I might try, but the odds on winning are still nuts.

My bad, I first read it as having to pick the top scoring players all 16 weeks to win the million. So, potentially they could give out as much as $16 million, correct? That I might try, but the odds on winning are still nuts.

No. Potentially they could pay out a bajillion dollars. If every owner picked the same lineup and those starters were the highest scorers at their position that week, then each owner would get $1MM.

Almost ,,, there is 17 weeks of play :wacko:

No. Potentially they could pay out a bajillion dollars. If every owner picked the same lineup and those starters were the highest scorers at their position that week, then each owner would get $1MM.

Almost ,,, there is 17 weeks of play :wacko:

I'm having a bit of an off day it seems. :tup:

The numbers that would drop out by week 3 would be staggering.

I had the exact same thought, once a person playing doesn't have the top scoring line-up in a given week the contest is over for them. How long will people last? But its free to play, and cheap to insure for the NFL (maybe low 6 figures if not less depending on the odds of somebody actually winning).

Hmm, I read it the same way, thinking somebody had to get it right all 17 weeks to win. (And that may be what the fine print really says.) Or maybe the contest is over after they give away the first million dollar prize.

Hmm, I read it the same way, thinking somebody had to get it right all 17 weeks to win. (And that may be what the fine print really says.) Or maybe the contest is over after they give away the first million dollar prize.

Each week, participants must pick an eight-player lineup out of the entire NFL. If every selection earns the most fantasy points at their position in a given week, the owner wins $1 million.

:wacko: From the 3rd line of the OP.... seems self explanatory to me as it says in a given week if every selection earns the most fantasy pts. they win the million

Edited by Sunday Couch Potatoe

This.

Think about the potential for fraud if enough skill players got on the same page?

And this is most definitely a weekly contest based on what it reads. This will be fun with a high ceiling for all of us geeks.

This.

Think about the potential for fraud if enough skill players got on the same page?

And this is most definitely a weekly contest based on what it reads. This will be fun with a high ceiling for all of us geeks.

:wacko:

You're kidding, right?

Regardless of what you think of the game itself ... you have to admit that it's great to know that the NFL thinks so highly of Fantasy Football that they are using it as their main vehicle to create a broader base of veiwers.

It may or may not work but, their intensions speak highly of our passion.

:wacko:

I really, really doubt they "think highly" of it; the only thing they think (know) is that it's a big business, and any FF gimmick which might draw more attention to them/the league is a good thing. As always, it's all about money.