[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

More Thursday night games

BillyBalata

Meh, I'll enjoy the games. I just hope they work with the schedules to make sure they fit the teams and the players. Ideally I'd like to see a Thursday night game for a team coming off a bye week or some such. I don't really like team's playing poorly because they are on short rest but we'll see how it goes.

Commissioner Roger Goodell announced Friday that Thursday night NFL Network games will expand from eight to 13 in 2012.

NFL Network will carry Thursday night games from Week 2 to Week 15. Goodell also revealed that all 32 teams will be guaranteed at least one prime time game over the course of the season. As long as fantasy owners have access to the internet and/or Twitter, injury updates shouldn't be a concern for early-season Thursday games.

Ideally I'd like to see a Thursday night game for a team coming off a bye week or some such. I don't really like team's playing poorly because they are on short rest but we'll see how it goes.

+1

This past year, the Eagles played a 4:15 home game against the Patriots (essentially a Sunda Night game by the time it ended at 7:30), then had to travel to Seattle to play a Thursday night game. One day of rest, one day of practice, one day to travel....didn't seem right, and not surprising the Eagles got smoked.

Commissioner Roger Goodell announced Friday that Thursday night NFL Network games will expand from eight to 13 in 2012.

NFL Network will carry Thursday night games from Week 2 to Week 15. Goodell also revealed that all 32 teams will be guaranteed at least one prime time game over the course of the season. As long as fantasy owners have access to the internet and/or Twitter, injury updates shouldn't be a concern for early-season Thursday games.

So with the season opener also a Thursday night game, there is Thursday action every week leading up to Week 16.

And :wacko: to every team getting in the prime-time spotlight....solid for their fan bases to get to experience some under-the-lights energy.

+1

This past year, the Eagles played a 4:15 home game against the Patriots (essentially a Sunda Night game by the time it ended at 7:30), then had to travel to Seattle to play a Thursday night game. One day of rest, one day of practice, one day to travel....didn't seem right, and not surprising the Eagles got smoked.

Did the Pats not play the previous sunday also?

Excellent, there was some talk of this with the recent new TV deals, but no exact numbers.

Also very happy to see that all teams will get a chance to play in (but not host) a prime time game.

As far as scheduling and trying to make sure the teams playing have rest, its just not possible. Unless they are going to spread the bye weeks out across nearly the whole season (2 teams off for 16 weeks). Even then it would still be extremely complicated. There will be many times a team plays on Sunday (whether 1PM or 4PM not much diff) and then play on Thursday, and one of those teams will have to travel. The best scenario would be to make those Thursday games always be teams that are very close to each other (CLE-PIT, NYG-PHI, DET-CHI, etc.) so that teams do not have long travel days, time changes etc.

Of course those people who still don't have NLFN will not get the extra 5 games a year and still say that they'ren ot missing anything.

Read this on another forum a portion of the press release, so basically teams will NOT be coming off a bye when they play on Thursday

"The expansion of the package assures that every NFL team will have at least one game during prime time television hours. In addition, every club will play on one Thursday following a Sunday game."

Edited by stevegrab

Did the Pats not play the previous sunday also?

:wacko:

my point was that the Eagles had 3 days to travel across the country to play the Thursday night game in Seattle after a late game Sunday.

Not sure what that has to do with the Pats :tup:

ETA: FWIW, San Fran had to do the same thing this year: played Week 11 at home, then traveled across the country to play a Thursday game at Baltimore (which they too lost).

To the original point, it would benefit every team if they didn't have to travel across the country for an match-up on a short week. You would think the schedule-makers could figure this out.

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

Well ain't that just spiffy! :wacko:

On the plus side (I guess), at least my leaguemates will now get their lineups in each week without having to remember when Thursday games begin and missing the first one.

Wonder how Directv feels about this.

:wacko:

my point was that the Eagles had 3 days to travel across the country to play the Thursday night game in Seattle after a late game Sunday.

Not sure what that has to do with the Pats :tup:

ETA: FWIW, San Fran had to do the same thing this year: played Week 11 at home, then traveled across the country to play a Thursday game at Baltimore (which they too lost).

To the original point, it would benefit every team if they didn't have to travel across the country for an match-up on a short week. You would think the schedule-makers could figure this out.

Plus you know SF played a 1pm PST (4pm EST) game then lost an additional 3 hours on their plane ride out east to play a good Baltimore team - an even bigger screw job to SF...would be nice if they could be more considerate of the teams having to fly coast to coast.

KO'd

I love it, as long as it isn't in my city. Had an over three hour commute home from work that day (usually takes 35-40 minutes) and missed most of Seahawks/Eagles game because of it. Certain cities can probably handle it, but putting that many cars onto the Seattle freeways during the rush hour commute was an absolute disaster. I'm sure nobody will listen, but there was quite a local uproar asking for it to never happen again.

I love it, as long as it isn't in my city. Had an over three hour commute home from work that day (usually takes 35-40 minutes) and missed most of Seahawks/Eagles game because of it. Certain cities can probably handle it, but putting that many cars onto the Seattle freeways during the rush hour commute was an absolute disaster. I'm sure nobody will listen, but there was quite a local uproar asking for it to never happen again.

No there wasn't.