[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Josh Hamilton

i_am_the_swammi

SI reporting that Hamilton relapsed this past week, and was seen in the wee hours of the AM drinking at a local bar. His issues were the reason Tampa cut ties, as well as the Reds....and Texas has said numerous times that they will have a zero-tolerance policy if he were to slip-up again.

That being said, he was no where near an MVP-caliber player in the past, and it wasn't so tough a decision to let a good-but-not-great player walk. I wonder if the Rangers will stick to their guns and release him from his contract?

Be an interesting next few weeks to see how this plays out

Report: Rangers slugger Hamilton has alcohol-related relapse

DALLAS (AP) -- Texas Rangers outfielder and recovering drug addict Josh Hamilton scheduled a news conference for Friday amid reports that he had a relapse this week when he drank alcohol at a Dallas-area bar.

The team did not disclose the reason for the 1 p.m. CST news conference, but it comes less than 12 hours after The Dallas Morning News reported that Hamilton was drinking at the bar on Monday. The newspaper cited unidentified "individuals familiar with the episode" in its report late Thursday.

In a statement to the newspaper, the Rangers said they were "aware of a situation, but we don't have further comment at this time."

In a tweet on her account, Hamilton's wife, Katie, wrote: "Truly appreciate all the encouraging & supportive tweets we've been getting. God is Faithful and forgives- so thankful that you all are."

The 30-year-old player was suspended for more than three years for drug and alcohol use while in the Tampa Bay organization. He missed the entire 2004 and 2005 seasons. He won the AL MVP in 2010.

This was Hamilton's second known alcohol-related relapse in three years. In January 2009, he drank to excess in a bar in Tempe, Ariz. Before that, Hamilton said he hadn't taken a drink of alcohol since Oct. 6, 2005.

When the Rangers acquired him from the Cincinnati Reds on Dec. 21, 2007, they were aware of Hamilton's off-the-field problems and had a zero-tolerance policy regarding his drinking.

He is tested for drug use three times a week and has had an accountability partner to support him in his recovery - though that job is now vacant.

Hitting coach Johnny Narron filled the role before he left in November for Milwaukee. Narron joined the Rangers when Hamilton was acquired four years ago in a trade from Cincinnati. His primary role was to support the former No. 1 overall draft pick, who rebounded from his substance-abuse problems to become one of the top players in baseball.

The Rangers announced last month that Hamilton's father-in-law had been hired as a staff special assistant to be the accountability partner. But Michael Dean Chadwick has since decided against accepting that position because of "family considerations."

Hamilton can become a free agent after this season and has said he will not negotiate an extension after he reports to spring training. He had planned to leave for spring training on Feb. 17, a full week before the full-squad reporting date in Arizona.

He won't be going anywhere. But this incident did cost him some serious $$.

I agree. As bad as it sounds, this is a good thing for the Rangers. I don't think teams are going to step up and offer Hambone the money that his agent is telling him he should get. He'll realize that his best spot is in Texas, and I'd be more than shocked if someone did having a bigger offer next year.

That sucks to get ratted out in your hometown.

He was drinking in a very public place with no regard for who may see him. The disease is strong and this is further proof of that. As DA said this slip cost him big money. I wish him the best in getting back on track. Also no I don't see the Rangers cutting ties. They have really seemed to embrace him in his recovery and I don't see that changing with this situation. The consequences will be seen in his guaranteed money, or lack there of.

eta; As I understood the original story he ratted himself out and called a team mate to get him out of the situation. By the time Kinsler was able to get there he had too much in him and compounded the problem by going back out for more.

Being in recovery myself I can assure you that no one feels worse about this than Hamilton himself and not as much for the lost revenue as you may think.

Edited by tbimm

Is it really about baseball at this point? The man is in recovery and needs help. The disease is strong and most cannot fight it alone. The big money means nothing if a person is in a drunken stupor or wastes all the cash getting drunk.

I wish Hamilton the best in his personal battle and if in the process he succeeds on the baseball diamond so be it.

No offense, but disease? Cancer is a disease. ALS is a disease. Addiction is a weakness.

Now, that said, I wish anyone fighting addiction the best and hope they are able to win their battle(s).

and you are a dick, no offense.

He was drinking in a very public place with no regard for who may see him. The disease is strong and this is further proof of that. As DA said this slip cost him big money. I wish him the best in getting back on track. Also no I don't see the Rangers cutting ties. They have really seemed to embrace him in his recovery and I don't see that changing with this situation. The consequences will be seen in his guaranteed money, or lack there of.

eta; As I understood the original story he ratted himself out and called a team mate to get him out of the situation. By the time Kinsler was able to get there he had too much in him and compounded the problem by going back out for more.

Being in recovery myself I can assure you that no one feels worse about this than Hamilton himself and not as much for the lost revenue as you may think.

Kinsler was unaware that he had drank, but talked Hamilton into going home. Hamilton went back out after Kinsler dropped him off. I wonder if he's having issues at home. Hambone lives in Westlake, and he was drinking in Dallas... They're no where near each other. It would make sense after his father in law signed on with the rangers to be his accountability partner, then quit a few days later...

As far as Hamilton and FA next year... No other teams are going to put up a big contract, and then hire on an accountability partner, they just won't. Hamilton needs the Rangers as much as the Rangers need him.

Even before this happened, I stated that the Rangers are better off without him after 2012. We can find another outfielder that can hit and play defense to pay big money to. He is getting to the age where he can no longer play CF without hurting himself (see Ken Griffey, Jr.)

Tell me where you're going to find a replacement that is half as productive as Hamilton... You won't. Like it or not, when he's on the field there isn't a better player in the league. Josh Hamilton=Roy Hobbs. One of the top five every day players that I've witnessed in my lifetime. Hamilton has 3 elite years left, and if Texas has to pay for five years, do it. This window is open, and Hamilton is a key cog... Well, do it as long as Kinsler is tied up first.

Why? Because I am not afraid to hold people accountable for the choices they make?

I won't go as far as calling you a dick but I will say that you are rather uninformed on the subject of addiction. Addiction has been written about in the medical circles going back at least into the 1930's.

Let's keep in mind that what Hamilton did this past week isn't even a story if he was not an addict. Therefore the very public way that he has to deal with having a # of drinks on a Monday night is how he is being held accountable for his past actions. If I go out tonight and do the same thing he did I will have people I will be accountable to, mainly myself.

I really have no problem with your opinion on this issue. It is a common opinion that many people hold against people who suffer from the disease of addiction whether it be drugs, alcohol, gambling or any # of other things. I just thought I would give you the opportunity to at least have your opinion mixed with facts. Alcoholism and addiction are very much a disease. They also kill as sure as cancer and other deadly diseases.

and you are a dick, no offense.

Maybe you didn't read his post... You may not agree with it, but he's not hostile. Read the last line in particular if you think he's a dick.

No offense, but disease? Cancer is a disease. ALS is a disease. Addiction is a weakness.

Now, that said, I wish anyone fighting addiction the best and hope they are able to win their battle(s).

I've had three family members who struggled with addiction, and an ex-girlfriend that I accompanied to N.A. Saying that, I understand where Bass is coming from. Someone with ALS didn't make bad choices that led to their disease, where as an addict did, by getting into drugs/alcohol way too heavy. There is a choice that they can make that the person with ALS never had. You may not agree with it, and you don't have to, but just because someone has a differing opinion than you, that doesn't make them a dick.

Kinsler was unaware that he had drank, but talked Hamilton into going home. Hamilton went back out after Kinsler dropped him off. I wonder if he's having issues at home. Hambone lives in Westlake, and he was drinking in Dallas... They're no where near each other. It would make sense after his father in law signed on with the rangers to be his accountability partner, then quit a few days later...

As far as Hamilton and FA next year... No other teams are going to put up a big contract, and then hire on an accountability partner, they just won't. Hamilton needs the Rangers as much as the Rangers need him.

Tell me where you're going to find a replacement that is half as productive as Hamilton... You won't. Like it or not, when he's on the field there isn't a better player in the league. Josh Hamilton=Roy Hobbs. One of the top five every day players that I've witnessed in my lifetime. Hamilton has 3 elite years left, and if Texas has to pay for five years, do it. This window is open, and Hamilton is a key cog... Well, do it as long as Kinsler is tied up first.

I agree on all counts. Kinsler probably smelled alcohol on him though unless he had a beer or two himself. There seems to be something going on at home. I think you are dead on there.

I won't go as far as calling you a dick but I will say that you are rather uninformed on the subject of addiction. Addiction has been written about in the medical circles going back at least into the 1930's.

Let's keep in mind that what Hamilton did this past week isn't even a story if he was not an addict. Therefore the very public way that he has to deal with having a # of drinks on a Monday night is how he is being held accountable for his past actions. If I go out tonight and do the same thing he did I will have people I will be accountable to, mainly myself.

I really have no problem with your opinion on this issue. It is a common opinion that many people hold against people who suffer from the disease of addiction whether it be drugs, alcohol, gambling or any # of other things. I just thought I would give you the opportunity to at least have your opinion mixed with facts. Alcoholism and addiction are very much a disease. They also kill as sure as cancer and other deadly diseases.

I would never dispute addiction is real and a problem for many people. I know all too well how real it is. And I am with you that it can kill just as surely as cancer. What I cant do, however, is call it a disease in the same way cancer, ALS, MD, etc is. A person may live the cleanest life they can and still be stricken with any of those aforementioned diseases. They have no choice in the matter. All they can do is hope the treatment can save them as they fight to live. There are people born/diagnosed every day with diseases that will kill them. They are basically doomed. In many cases, they never had a chance and that is sad. I dont think it is at all fair to those people to try to label addiction a disease in the same manner. For the overwhelming majority of people for whom addiction is a problem, it is a direct result of poor choices they have made and lack of willpower to overcome those choices. Calling addiction (particularly, substance abuse) a disease is giving addicts a crutch to lean on rather than holding them responsible for their choices, IMO. Its giving them "something" to blame rather than forcing them to look at/get tough with themselves.

Maybe you didn't read his post... You may not agree with it, but he's not hostile. Read the last line in particular if you think he's a dick.

I've had three family members who struggled with addiction, and an ex-girlfriend that I accompanied to N.A. Saying that, I understand where Bass is coming from. Someone with ALS didn't make bad choices that led to their disease, where as an addict did, by getting into drugs/alcohol way too heavy. There is a choice that they can make that the person with ALS never had. You may not agree with it, and you don't have to, but just because someone has a differing opinion than you, that doesn't make them a dick.

Exactly

I would never dispute addiction is real and a problem for many people. I know all too well how real it is. And I am with you that it can kill just as surely as cancer. What I cant do, however, is call it a disease in the same way cancer, ALS, MD, etc is. A person may live the cleanest life they can and still be stricken with any of those aforementioned diseases. They have no choice in the matter. All they can do is hope the treatment can save them as they fight to live. There are people born/diagnosed every day with diseases that will kill them. They are basically doomed. In many cases, they never had a chance and that is sad. I dont think it is at all fair to those people to try to label addiction a disease in the same manner. For the overwhelming majority of people for whom addiction is a problem, it is a direct result of poor choices they have made and lack of willpower to overcome those choices. Calling addiction (particularly, substance abuse) a disease is giving addicts a crutch to lean on rather than holding them responsible for their choices, IMO. Its giving them "something" to blame rather than forcing them to look at/get tough with themselves.

Exactly

Difficult to compare the diseases I agree. Let me share this though. The bad decision I made was taking my 1st drink at the age of 14. At 14 I had no idea that a gene had been passed along to me that would result in a 30 year battle with active alcoholism. Then lets look at for comparison my younger brother and my daughter. My brother is 5 years younger than me and watched the struggles I had in my teens with alcohol and drugs. He was made aware of the gene and has been able to avoid active alcoholism but he also recognizes alcoholic and addictive traits in his behaviors. He had a choice.

My daughter is another example as I have been very honest with her as to my struggles even when I was still drinking. She takes measured precautions to avoid that gene becoming an active player in her life. She had a choice.

I am not saying I had no choices nor that I made no bad decisions. Quite the contrary. However alcoholism is indeed no crutch for me. Gives me no excuse to drink. Alcoholism is the reason I wake up each day and have to make a decision not to drink. You don't have to make that decision because you truly are wired differently than I am.

I completely understand what you are saying in your comparison and it is valid. I have no argument that the diseases are very different. I would ask you though to do a little research if you are at all interested in learning more about why alcoholics and addicts struggle so damn much with this.

My last comment is this. If will power alone or even will power teamed with knowledge were enough to keep alcoholics from drinking or addicts from using then there would be no alcoholics or addicts.

I hope you don't see this as argumentative. That is not at all where I am coming from. If you are ever interested in talking more about this subject feel free to PM me. Unfortunately it is a subject that I have gained a great deal of knowledge about.

I agree on all counts. Kinsler probably smelled alcohol on him though unless he had a beer or two himself. There seems to be something going on at home. I think you are dead on there.

Listening to Josh in his press conference and JD on the local ESPN affiliate, Josh had 3-4 drinks prior to Kinsler showing up. Hamilton said that he knows how to hide alcohol consumption up to a point, and that Kinsler had no idea that he had drank. JD backed this up. Kinsler knew that Hamilton did not need to be in that situation, and got him out of there. Kinsler did everything he needed to. Kudos to him for being a stand up guy. And to all of the local ranger fans bagging on him, they all need to piss off.

I sure hope not. Without an anchor, he's doomed.

The local radio station was commenting on the situation saying that if you look at the fact that Hamilton isn't even allowed to have a debit card, and he was across the metroplex at a bar at night, you know something isn't stable. They didn't care speculate any further. Having dealed with people who have relapsed, I've never known a recovering addict that never had a lapse. Hamilton made it very clear that there were no drugs, and he's passed two drug tests this week. It was supposedly 6-7 beers. I'm not ready to hit the panic button and lose my head. I understand that it's not a good thing, but hoping that this is just another step to get this behind him.

no offense, but you don't understand what you are saying... addiction is a disease. it is treatable, but not curable. I know this all too well and this is documented in all health publications.

and if you get lung cancer because you smoke cigarettes, then that is your choice to have smoked in the first place, but you still have a disease (lung cancer).

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

and if you get lung cancer because you smoke cigarettes, then that is your choice to have smoked in the first place, but you still have a disease (lung cancer).

My name is Scooby's Hubby and I am an addict ...

if you have gone to NA meetings, then surely you agree that addiction is a disease with no cure, only treatable. Recovery is a lifelong occurance, an addict will never be cured. I don;t think I will ever use again, but b/c I am an addict, relapse is always possible. An addict's mind sets traps for the body to fail, other addicts set traps, an addict is never safe from relapsing. 1 is too many and a 1,000 is never enough. We Do Recover.

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

and if you get lung cancer because you smoke cigarettes, then that is your choice to have smoked in the first place, but you still have a disease (lung cancer). I know people who can use on say New Years Eve and not use until the next year, they are not addicts. I know people who only burn at concerts or at an anual golf tourney, then go home and never even think of using. Addicts on the other hand have to have it at all times, it consumes them and thier every thought. Nothing matters but feeding their addiction.