[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2-religion families

Scooby

I'm Catholic and will always be one. It kinda goes hand-in-hand with my culture being 100% Pollock and all;) I was raised right by the oldest Polish settlement in the USA. Well, I married a Baptist, and for right now, our kids are attending Sunday school, etc in the Baptist church. When I take my kids to the Catholic church, they are quite uninterested and really do not get anything out of it. When I attend the Baptist church, it simply does not feel right to me...not to bash Baptists, its just my personal feeling. I always had it in my mind that one day our kids can make up their own minds if they want to continue in the Baptist church or convert to mine. So I am cool with this arrangement for the time being. Hubby and I were also not married in the Catholic church (I am a divorcee). I can't receive communion unless I get an annulment from that 1st marriage. My mom keeps trying to get me to do that, but I am not sure about it and opening up an old can of worms from 15 years ago :wacko:

Just wanted to see if others out there in 2 religion homes and how it's panned out. TIA:)

Happy Super Bowl Weekend to everyone:)

When I attend the Baptist church, it simply does not feel right to me...not to bash Baptists, its just my personal feeling.

I feel that way about any church. Me and the wife aren't religious. We do, however, let our kid go to church with his friends when he wants or is invited. We even let him go to the Mormon and Catholic cult gatherings.

Wife = Catholic (kind of)

Me = No religion

We weren't married in a catholic church because I wouldn't go thru all the classes. Compromise was a non-denominational church (I think unitarian).

Both kids were baptized. However, the deal has always been that my wife is in charge of the religious aspects of their lives. My first son had his first communion but my second did not. Neither have been confirmed. My wife hasn't been to church in years.

Overall, I think it's working out great.

I can't receive communion unless I get an annulment from that 1st marriage.

You know there's no scriptural basis for this, right? My wife grew up Catholic and hated it. I grew up non-denominational. It was an easy choice for us. I could write a novel on the problems with the Catholic church but I'll just give one bit of advice...both of you compromise. Find a church the entire family likes and attend.

you might try and find a happy medium, which in your case might be like an episcopal/anglican church. the idea of spouses being active members of different churches seems a little weird to me, but I guess it could work. still weird for the kids though.

Lutheran works pretty well as a happy medium for my wife and me. (I am/was(?) Catholic and my wife was a member of a "free protestant church" in Switzerland (as opposed to the state reformed church). When we first got married, we went to a "non-denominational" church until I couldn't take it anymore (since I disagreed with their positions theologically) and we looked around at other types of denominations and ended up at a Lutheran church (ELCA as opposed to Missouri or Wisconsin Synod) that we really liked.)

Concerning being active members of different churches, my aunt (United Church of Christ) and my uncle (Catholic) are both very active in their respective churches. They've been married for 30+ years and have one of the best relationships anyone could ever hope for. (Their (now adult) kids were raised in the UCC church tradition.)

My wife and I were both raised Catholic. K-high school. Once we had children we tried to go on occasion but I wasn't really into it. Then after the priest/pedophile scandal we walked. I(we) believe in a higher power/God/spiritually but the catholic church is filled with too much hypocrisy for us to handle. We talk openly with our children about Jesus/God/spirituality. If you are looking for advice in this forum then you are looking for random opinions and that to me is a good thing. Just don't tell your kids what they have to follow. I think you'll do a fine job. Show them love and respect. The rest will work itself out.

You know there's no scriptural basis for this, right?

This is very true

I think you raise them Scooby based on the faith you and husband practice and let them make the decision as they get older ...I also believe God will call them anyway and the path will be given

My mom's Jewish and my dad's family is devoutly Christian (my dad, however, is not). They were married in a Unitarian church. My mom observes Jewish holidays but we never went to temple or church and they pretty much left it up to the three of us kids to decide what we wanted. In high school my girlfriend was religious, and I went to church a few times with her and was profoundly uncomfortable. My wife went to parochial school through eighth grade but isn't religious.

I'm Catholic and will always be one. It kinda goes hand-in-hand with my culture being 100% Pollock and all;) I was raised right by the oldest Polish settlement in the USA. Well, I married a Baptist, and for right now, our kids are attending Sunday school, etc in the Baptist church. When I take my kids to the Catholic church, they are quite uninterested and really do not get anything out of it. When I attend the Baptist church, it simply does not feel right to me...not to bash Baptists, its just my personal feeling. I always had it in my mind that one day our kids can make up their own minds if they want to continue in the Baptist church or convert to mine. So I am cool with this arrangement for the time being. Hubby and I were also not married in the Catholic church (I am a divorcee). I can't receive communion unless I get an annulment from that 1st marriage. My mom keeps trying to get me to do that, but I am not sure about it and opening up an old can of worms from 15 years ago :wacko:

Just wanted to see if others out there in 2 religion homes and how it's panned out. TIA:)

Happy Super Bowl Weekend to everyone:)

Not to nitpick but Baptist and Catholic aren't two different religions. They are two branches of the same religion. Islam and Christianity are two different religions.

You know there's no scriptural basis for this, right? My wife grew up Catholic and hated it. I grew up non-denominational. It was an easy choice for us. I could write a novel on the problems with the Catholic church but I'll just give one bit of advice...both of you compromise. Find a church the entire family likes and attend.

Its a slippery slope when humans decide what is correct in church.

Lutheran works pretty well as a happy medium for my wife and me. (I am/was(?) Catholic and my wife was a member of a "free protestant church" in Switzerland (as opposed to the state reformed church). When we first got married, we went to a "non-denominational" church until I couldn't take it anymore (since I disagreed with their positions theologically) and we looked around at other types of denominations and ended up at a Lutheran church (ELCA as opposed to Missouri or Wisconsin Synod) that we really liked.)

Concerning being active members of different churches, my aunt (United Church of Christ) and my uncle (Catholic) are both very active in their respective churches. They've been married for 30+ years and have one of the best relationships anyone could ever hope for. (Their (now adult) kids were raised in the UCC church tradition.)

How can a Catholic attend a Lutheran church? I didn't figure the pope wanted his flock frolicking with deniers?

Not to nitpick but Baptist and Catholic aren't two different religions. They are two branches of the same religion. Islam and Christianity are two different religions.

That's pretty much how I see it. I was raised baptist and married into a catholic family. We were married in a catholic church but I did not convert until years later (right before we started having kids). Personally, I don't feel like I'm talking to a different god or studying a different bible. True the Catholic church does have some strange man made BS going on, but it's easy enough to ignore. Just like most religious people ignore good chunks of the bible when it fits them. We're all human (which is a pretty fcked up species) so while overall I'm a traditionalist on a lot of things, I understand that people bend things to fit themselves and it just seems like part of life. :wacko:

Good luck scoob, there is no perfect answer so I'd just try a few things to see what "feels" right.

Wife and I are both Catholic. I wanted to join that religion where you get to eat the peyote buttons but my wife really wasn't into it. :wacko:

We're having a revival and snake handling session at the compound this coming Saturday if you guys wanna come out.

Wife = Catholic (kind of)

Me = No religion

Both kids were baptized. However, the deal has always been that my wife is in charge of the religious aspects of their lives.

Overall, I think it's working out great.

^this is my deal, similar to untateve.

We had a priest come to our house on both the boys 1st b-days and perform the baptisms there in front of friends and family. I caved to the wife's wishes. She did it more as a just in case, though. Whatever...

^this is my deal, similar to untateve.

We had a priest come to our house on both the boys 1st b-days and perform the baptisms there in front of friends and family. I caved to the wife's wishes. She did it more as a just in case, though. Whatever...

Yeah, I don't believe their is any God that would punish an infant or child because they were never baptized. The must do rituals were a small part of my leaving the catholic church. They didn't want to do the baptism for my second child until they saw us in church a little more regularly :wacko: My wife said "I've been coming here for thirty years now run go tell the priest if he feels the same way that you do ." To some church liaison women. (The priest was a pedophile BTW) Never heard anymore about it. Show me the money is what that woman was saying. We showed ourselves the door after pedophilamania was erupting.

I also have to recommend Penn and Tellers "bullsh%t" episode on the vatican. Completely amazing and appalling.

Edited by SNOWBOUND33