[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

East coast huddlers

Bier Meister

my cousin is getting married in in ny this august. we have decided to turn this into a longer family vacation. we are going to do about 6-7 days prior to the wedding in some mountain or lake area and then 3-4 days around the city. so need some travel ideas from you guys...

thoughts so far (i know little about these places, so input is welcome):

- stowe, vermont: on the fence about it because we have lived in ski communities for the past 10 years.

- poconos

- lake george

- catskills

- lake harmony

- possibly something coastal on connecticut or RI

edit: we are looking for some activity (biking, canoeing, hikes/walks, etc) but still provides tranquility. something on the water. could be a resort or cabin.

edit II: would love to fit in a huddle gather in NY if possible. not sure yet due to family obligations.

Edited by Bier Meister

If your considering Lake George you should look into Lake Placid. That would be another hour or so up the northway past Lake George. Less crowded/commercial, but still has a few decent places to stay and eat. Awesome hiking/kayaking opportunities, and olympic venues to see. That's about a 5 hour drive from NYC, btw. Beautiful drive though once you get north of Albany. You'd pass right through Saratoga and the track is open in August. Lots of other stuff to do in Saratoga as well, but August is very busy there.

ETA - there are plenty of accommodations in Lake Placid / Lake George - hotels, resorts, cabin rentals, but you'd better hurry and book something now.

Edited by whoopazz

In the summer of 2010, we drove up the north, ended up outside of Burlington. Then took the ferry across Lake Champlain and headed down the other side in NY. It was like night and day the NY and Vermont sides of of that bay. The NY side was trashy and every "cool" natural landmark was turned into some Disney production. Heading up VT, on the other hand was idyllic and pristine. Each town super quaint and the camping was outstanding.

If you're planning to go as far north as Stowe, I think Burlington is a pretty cool town to check out. And if you do, hit American Flatbread which houses Zero Gravity Brewing Co. Great beers and the head brewer was actually smoking hot. Which is particularily cool because your wife won't mind you talking to her because she'll be stoked that a woman is making the beer rather than your typical dude with a beard. So there's that.

Since this was a beer-oriented trip, I'll also highlight Ommegang Brewery in Cooperstown which was beautiful and very interesting. I also have a good friend who works with them and could hook you up with a private tour. Because they're a Belgian-style brewery, they do things a bit differently than your typical brewery, so that makes it fun.

That's all I got.

This should help: http://www.blackbookmag.com/nightlife/new-...e-cheap-1.28967 :wacko:

I'd think about going to the beach too if you're in the area. Point Pleasant Beach (NJ) has an aquarium, a boardwalk, kids rides, a Tiki bar, etc.

Lake George is great if you have a boat, if not, not so much.

Saratoga is a great call, as is Lake Placid. The resorts in Vermont are generally pretty quiet in the summer. Not sure if I'd plan on doing that.

Skip the Poconos in the summer, and the Catskills. These are Winter retreats and rather unlively most of the summer months.

Mystic Seaport in Connecticut is a nice getaway, also has an Aquarium and Historic Seaport, about 90 minutes from NYC.

Some cool hiking and a neat little Zoo right on the Hudson River about 45 minutes North of NYC in Bear Mountain.

Speaking of Zoo's, the Bronx Zoo is awesome.

Canoeing the Delaware River (between NJ and PA, about 1:15 from NYC) is a fun outdoorsy thing to do: http://kittatinny.com/

I could go on I guess.

Speaking of Zoo's, the Bronx Zoo is awesome.

I always thought the Bronx Zoo was kinda lame. Very few animals to see and you have to pay extra for the gorilla section. The botanical garden is right across the street, which I guess if you combine the 2 in a day makes it aight.

I always thought the Bronx Zoo was kinda lame. Very few animals to see and you have to pay extra for the gorilla section. The botanical garden is right across the street, which I guess if you combine the 2 in a day makes it aight.

They serve beer dumbass. Who gives a crap about gorillas and flowers? :wacko:

If you could:

a. Have a beer over the stench of animal feces

or

b. Have no beer

Which would you choose? I would clearly choose a. :wacko:

If you switch to Keystone you can have the experience of choice A. . .anywhere!

You're welcome.

Saratoga Racetrack. it's only open from mid July to the end of August -oldest horse race track in the country. it's kinda nice if your into that sort of scene. i work there part time during the summers and can be pm'd if need be. (i don't want to reveal exactly what i do or i risk having every degenerate Huddle gambler track me down.)

Saratoga Racetrack. it's only open from mid July to the end of August -oldest horse race track in the country. it's kinda nice if your into that sort of scene. i work there part time during the summers and can be pm'd if need be. (i don't want to reveal exactly what i do or i risk having every degenerate Huddle gambler track me down.)

gorgeous track ...and only 30 minutes from Lake George

• 3 months later...

so we decided to split the time. one long weekend in medocino with just the mrs and i and 5 days in NY. if huddlers are are interested, i could be free the wed or thurs (8/15 or 8/16) night for a gathering of some sort.