[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My cattle business...

muck

It looks like the stars are aligning ... and I'm going to take delivery of two cows and a bull sometime in the next six or seven weeks ... plus ... maybe as many as three or four more older cows or steers by the first week of May. I'll have about 17 acres of pasture leased on which I'm to carry all this out...

The business ... custom grazing beef cattle on grass, legumes, forbs, clover and a proprietary and organic blend of minerals, microbes and other nutrients ...

For an upfront investment, we'll lock-in each persons' beef costs for three years, delivering to them 1/8th of a cow every six months (obviously, if someone wanted more meat, they could write a bigger check up front).

I'm really quite stoked abou this! :) Possibly, that's because I have zero idea what I'm doing! HA!

PS -- My kids are a little giddy about this, too!

• Like 1

It looks like the stars are aligning ... and I'm going to take delivery of two cows and a bull sometime in the next six or seven weeks ... plus ... maybe as many as three or four more older cows or steers by the first week of May. I'll have about 17 acres of pasture leased on which I'm to carry all this out...

The business ... custom grazing beef cattle on grass, legumes, forbs, clover and a proprietary and organic blend of minerals, microbes and other nutrients ...

For an upfront investment, we'll lock-in each persons' beef costs for three years, delivering to them 1/8th of a cow every six months (obviously, if someone wanted more meat, they could write a bigger check up front).

I'm really quite stoked abou this! :) Possibly, that's because I have zero idea what I'm doing! HA!

PS -- My kids are a little giddy about this, too!

My belly is giddy about this.

We need to grab lunch soon so you can tell me how much this is going to cost me.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, it's morphed a bit ... but it's still on track.

It looks like two cows (one is preggo) and a bull are arriving in the 2nd half of May. The 17ac I thought I was going to be able to work off of is now 7 (the other 10ac was owned by a guy who wanted my left nut in a jar for the pleasure of leasing his land).

But, it looks like it's going to happen... :)

I'm a little giddy about it!

It looks like two cows (one is preggo) and a bull are arriving in the 2nd half of May. The 17ac I thought I was going to be able to work off of is now 7 (the other 10ac was owned by a guy who wanted my left nut in a jar for the pleasure of leasing his land).

So your wife wouldn't let him have the jar?

• Like 1

good luck and don't name them!! :D

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, it's been about a month and a half since they got here ... and, so far, its been easier than I thought it would be.

We're going into a partnership (of sorts) with a gentleman in Minnesota; he's bringing down a 14mo old heifer next week and we'll be breeding her to our bull; we keep all heifer calves and we split all bull calves 50/50. If this goes well, we may be partnering on his other 5 mama cows. Thumbs up!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Deliver?

Nope...

We'll be having private beef tasting events, at which time our Herd Partners will be able to select the animal they most prefer the taste of, and that meat will be ready for them to pick up the following day. :)

Seven bred cows arrived about two weeks ago ... and the first one had her calf on Sunday.

Today, we're at a bull, four steers, ten bred cows and a yearling heifer. We'll be eating the steers this year and calving (hopefully) ten calves during 2013.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...