[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My cattle business...

muck

• 2 months later...

We were 10 for 10 on calves this year. We've already sold one bull calf to a rancher in WY ... he'll be picking him up some time around Thanksgiving. So, with the remaining 9 calves, we're at 24 head (including four steers, at least three of whom will be processed sometime this year ... two of whom are probably going to be getting eaten within the next 3-6 weeks).

I'm heading to WI in a week or three to pick up four heifers who are ready to be bred this summer ... and one of those four is already pre-sold as a bred-heifer to the same guy who is going to pick up the bull calf around Thanksgiving. :)

Also, we've acquired semen from 12 different French import bulls of our breed (Aubrac) --- very excited about all of this! :) In fact, we have been approached by a land owner who wants to sell us his farm on a rent-to-own basis ... we're waiting on his terms to see if its feasible. We still have a VERY long way to go, but it sure is fun to be having fun again. :)

Edited by muck
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Update:

One of the four heifers we brought home (the one we sold to the guy coming around Thanksgiving) got stuck in some mud and died. The guy who bought her was cool about it.

One of the other heifers is not breedable (she has Neospora), and we'll be eating her (her ailment doesn't affect the meat at all).

The guy we got the heifers from feels so badly about it that he's going to be rehoming the majority of his females with us and we can buy them over time from him. A HUGH deal for us! :)

We didn't get the farm ... someone else bought it out from underneath us ... :( ... hindsight being what it is, however, this may be a good thing ...

Our beef is going to be featured in the October issue of Kansas City Home & Gardens magazine. Another hugh deal for us!

I'm sick and tired of clearing fence line ... anyone living near KC who wants to trade a Saturday of labor with their chainsaw in exchange for some beef, please let me know! :)

Congrats on your operation Muck! Losing calves does suck. Along with cleaning fence rows. Do you have a tractor yet? Great investment and a ton of help doing all the odd ball jobs you are sure to encounter. Best of luck!

Thanks and nope.

We're putting all available funds into animals, frozen semen, leased pasture, water and fence ... we did buy an old truck and livestock trailer and have around $4500 invested (total) into both ... and they ran great getting me to/from Wisconsin in early July.

The next 'infrastructure' expense will probably be a squeeze chute.

• 4 weeks later...