[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Help with a wine suggestion?

Square

I'm going on vacation in a few weeks and I need a wine suggestion. We enjoy some wine but aren't big aficionados on the subject. So we are going on a cruise and I need to pre-buy some booze from a Total Wine in Fort Lauderdale that I will be picking up in route to the ship the day of. So I can shop from online but there is no chance to really look around the store or talk to a clerk.

http://www.totalwine...e/96!startRow/1

My wife likes Pinot Noir. Some of the bottles we typically get are Estancia, Clos Du Bois, Mark West, La Crema. That link has the Under $10 category from Total Wine we will be shopping from. Anything that you have tried that is good? I remember someone mentioned Cavit once before but I've never tried it. The Seven Peaks has a 89 rating from somewhere but again I've never tried it. We'll probably be grabbing several bottles for us and friends on a cruise so I was hoping to find some value. If there is something a little over $10 it's not a big deal but I'd rather not spend $20 a bottle because it will add up. Any help is appreciated.

The only really inexpensive pinot noir that I like is Italian - Due Torri. I used to be able to get it for $11, but its north of $14 now.

I'd try a spanish red - tempranillo or granacha or a blend of the two.

Edited by Furd

The only really inexpensive pinot noir that I like is Italian - Due Torri. I used to be able to get it for $11, but its north of $14 now.

To echo the Tempranillo call. If you like Pinot and want to spend $10 or less, tempranillo is not a bad way to go. The less oaked versions can have some of the same qualities that people like in Pinot. And Spain is literally swimming with good wine for $10 or less. I love the Garnachas as well. I just latched onto the tempranillo call because of the similarity I tend to find with Pinots some times.

I just drank a bottle of the 2010 Carmel Road pinot.

Light body, red berries. 14 bucks.

Not enough going on with it for me, even at that price. If there is good cheap pinot noir, I'm just not aware of it.

Take a look at MacMurray ranch, Anakena, and especially Hahn Pinot (I used to pour Hahn by the glass and did very well with it)

Also Mark West is decent, as is Kim Crawford.

But all of these are between 10-20 bucks a bottle

Total wine has the Hahn Pinot for about 11.99 so I think I'm going to grab a couple. Thanks!

Hmm.. The website actually has it listed at $8.99. :thinking: I might have to give it a shot.

To echo the Tempranillo call. If you like Pinot and want to spend $10 or less, tempranillo is not a bad way to go. The less oaked versions can have some of the same qualities that people like in Pinot. And Spain is literally swimming with good wine for $10 or less. I love the Garnachas as well. I just latched onto the tempranillo call because of the similarity I tend to find with Pinots some times.

I really appreciate the heads up. I tried a Tempranillo the other day. It took a bit to open up, but it actually tasted pretty good. I'd like to have it with a meal to give it a second shot. It felt a bit heavy for just drinking but I think it might have a future. Have a bottle of granacha to try some other time. Thanks fellas.

been awfully busy lately. agree with others opinions about good value in spain...also think chile and argentina contribute to value picks. to throw out some others: zweigelt, sangiovese, cab franc, gamay, malbec....or just play with pinot from different regions of the world.