[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2012 Huddlers' NFL Mock Draft (Commentary ONLY)...

irish

If 49ers pass on Coby Fleener (could take him to be like Pats--2 headed monster) Giants they will probably pass on him after signing Martellus Bennett, resigning Ballard...Rams will probably go "D"...that leaves Fleener to be scooped by Colts and pair the two Stanford players again...Colts could pass on Fleener if Kendall Wright is still there.....Fleener would give Luck even more familiarity and transitional learning even less....just sayin...

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've gotten through the first round and BeeR is on the clock starting the 2nd round.

I pm'd irish my pick. I gave him two choices in case BeeR takes the guy I am targeting. Grigson has beefed up the offensive line through trades and free agency. He will begin the transition of the Colts from a 4-3 to a hybrid 3-4 in the draft.

Inhiding has been PMd about selecting for the 49ers.

Sorry about this guys. I had all the best intentions of remembering this, but I haven't logged in for a few days. We just opened up our brewery on the 24th and things have been gangbusters since then. I will peek in from time to time as things as settling out now. My apologies for holding this up

Rams just missed on OT Adams so went back to shoring up the D. Mercilus is a DE/LB tweener whose only big "flaw" is that he was only productive for one year but Rams will take their chances as he can help them in various ways - giving Long some needed support rushing the passer and in run support as well.

The Colts have selected - DT, Kendall Reyes, Connecticut. Pmd from Captain.

Fleener and Mercilus were 2 of the players I was considering but went with Adams in part because I think he can be argued to be the best player available and in part because OT is such a big need for the NYG. Mercilus got more consideration than Fleener because I think he is the better overall player. Also, the NYG signed Bennett and they don't use the TE position in a way that would leverage Fleener's strengths so I didn't think Fleener was necessarily the best fit compared to players like Adams and Mercilus. There was another player I was considering here, a LB, who I think would be a great fit if Adams is gone.

Minnesota needs a WR because they refused to be active in the free agent market. This guy along with Hill are in Mayock's top 5. Jeffery supposedly has Mike Williams type negative potential. Hill might have questionable hands. Went with girth over Troy Williamson 2 because nobody in Minnesota wants to deal with that again.

Adams was a good pick I was all set to take him. :angry: Could go higher. Fleener would have been a bad pick IMO - he's not 1st round material and TE is down the list of their needs.

Good pick on Jeffrey IMO. Hadn't heard about the strong bust potential, just know he has good hands and great size. He could also go higher.

An OLB with no real weakness in his game, he's a difference maker we need on defense. Sideline to sideline run defender and very strong dropping and in space. Value pick here, and I don't expect he'll last nearly this late on April 21st. Was hoping to take a WR here but the one I felt was the best choice was Jeffrey and he's gone. I'm going all in with McCoy so not really tempted to go QB - if he's the guy then we have a much better team we've put around him, and if he's not we'll get a franchise guy next season. The next tier of QB is at least four deep and that might last into the fourth round where we have two picks if I decide to look for a diamond in the rough and don't like the value at other positions.

I don't see the Pats taking two OLB types. I've been wanting them to take just one with all the top picks they've had for years now and they still haven't, so I don't see it. They're always a pretty good bet to select an offensive lineman with their franchise signal caller entering into his NFL golden years. Protecting him is an absolute must for the organization at this stage, and they may well lose Matt Light to retirement before the season begins. Would love to see hightower fall to them though. He probably won't get by Pittsburgh.

This draft has been surprisingly light on the fantasy players; surprised nobody has bit on Lamar Miller yet, or the enticing combine standout Stephen Hill. Tampa would likely be thrilled to see Miller fall to them in the second, and he'd likely become the primary back and an improvement over Blount right-off-the-bat. I see them taking a speedier back like Miller or Wilson to use in tandem with Blount though rather than taking say Doug Martin, who is more size and power himself. And I don't see Fleener getting to the second round either, and definitely not past the Colts at 2.02. If they have the opportunity to reunite him with Luck and make the new face of their franchise happy they'll jump at it.

Wish I'd noticed this thread earlier as I would have taken part. If there's a need for a fill-in for a specific team though let me know.

Edited by Crazysight

Wish I'd noticed this thread earlier as I would have taken part. If there's a need for a fill-in for a specific team though let me know.

There might be a spot for you. I think irish filled in for somebody along the way.

CB is definitely a need, the consensus seems to be they'll address that with their first pick. But don't they run more of a 4-3? They picked up at least one pretty good looking pass rusher last year in Adrian Clayborn at DE in the first round last year, he looks to be a pass-rushing terror for years to come. If Bowers can ever get back to the form he had in college that would be a hell of a combo. Don't know if that'll ever happen because of his injury, but he was considered the best pass rusher in the draft prior to the injury, was a sack-master in college.

And I don't see Fleener getting to the second round either, and definitely not past the Colts at 2.02. If they have the opportunity to reunite him with Luck and make the new face of their franchise happy they'll jump at it.

I hope Grigson builds this team the exact opposite way Manning's Colts were constructed. They surrounded him with high priced offensive talent, but neglected the defense and offensive line.

I hope the Colts learned their lesson, and don't do that again. That was my approach to this mock draft.

Edited by CaptainHook

CB is definitely a need, the consensus seems to be they'll address that with their first pick. But don't they run more of a 4-3? They picked up at least one pretty good looking pass rusher last year in Adrian Clayborn at DE in the first round last year, he looks to be a pass-rushing terror for years to come. If Bowers can ever get back to the form he had in college that would be a hell of a combo. Don't know if that'll ever happen because of his injury, but he was considered the best pass rusher in the draft prior to the injury, was a sack-master in college.

Right, if Bowers, Clayborn, Brian Price, and Gerald McCoy can all stay healthy then yes, they have a solid front four. The problem is the next layer of LB's. Letting Rudd leave was a mistake. I also think they have some faith in Bount and would like to pair him with someone like a Lamichael James.

I looked at the Jaguars offense and saw they are weak at WR. I looked hard at Hill but gfigured Thomas and Robinson were similar. What they needed was a big body to go over the middle and make the tough catch. They already have outside speed, they needed someone to move the chains. I saw Sanu play a little at Rutgers and while he has no breakaway speed, he is tall and has HUGE hands, which will come on handy. Fantasy wise, he will be a non factor. But he could help be a 50+ 800 yards WR who is a safety vavle and third down/end zone threat.

With the 40th pick of the 2012 NFL draft, the Carolina Panthers select CB Josh Robinson,

Central Florida.

Cornerbacks went faster than I expected in this league and it is a real need for the Panthers. Robinson was the best choice left and he can contribute right away on Special Teams. I don't know if he can start right away, but he may have no choice if we don't have anyone else.