[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sean Payton suspended for a year

BillyBalata

Wow . . . . . just wow.

Never thought the punishmnet would be this harsh. 2 second round picks????

Plus the suspension of their front office, one month before the draft and when pro days are going on, ETC.

That really sucks for the saints as an organization.

I feel the worst for Brees in this deal, he got tagged, so they have exclusive rights to him for the year so is stuck, and now no coach for the year. If I were him, i'd sign the tag and get out next year.

Then Brees off to the 49ers

If this were NCAA, the Saints would of had their Super Bown win vacadated. But, that would be too much punishment on the City itself.

I don't have a problem with Payton's suspension, he had to of known this stuff was happening.

Edited by gsmayes

No 1st this year already . . . now no 2nd round pick.

head coach gone for the year, asst coach suspended first 6 games . . . wowsers. :blink:

PLUS this is overshadowing the Tebow trade . . . . frickin Goodell tryin to keep the man down!

That's 2 second round picks for each year.

Per PFT, Sean Payton is "stunned." He was expecting just a four-game suspension.

The suspension will cost Payton $8 million smackers. Wow. I can't imagine what it's like to lose $8 million worth of paychecks.

IMHO the punishments were appropriate all around, especially Sean Payton's. He had to have known what was going on. I think we can all agree, the head coach has to be held accountable.

Edited by Wolverines Fan

Wow . . . . . just wow.

Never thought the punishmnet would be this harsh. 2 second round picks????

Plus the suspension of their front office, one month before the draft and when pro days are going on, ETC.

That really sucks for the saints as an organization.

Curious where you heard this? I've only skimmed the story on NFL.com that I posted, and it said "Loomis' suspension, which is also without pay, will be for the first eight games of the 2012 season." Nothing about it starting before then, or affecting his participation in the draft.

The press release at NFL.com has more info, but I don't see anything there to indicate the front office is banned from being involved in the draft or other off season activities. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d827c15b2/article/nfl-announces-management-discipline-in-saints-bounty-matter?module=HP11_hot_topics

Payton's suspsension starts April 1, and lasts for the entire 2012 NFL season. So he will miss the draft.

Not saying you're wrong just wondering whether you hear. I have no doubt there are many sources discussing this, but also know they often rush to do that and don't check their facts first.

Per PFT, Sean Payton is "stunned." He was expecting just a four-game suspension.

The suspension will cost Payton $8 million smackers. Wow.

IMHO the punishments were appropriate all around, especially Sean Payton's. He had to have known what was going on. I think we can all agree, the head coach has to be held accountable.

Acceptable, I don't know. This IS football and bounties have been around since it's inception. These are WAY to extreme, IMHO. They were made an example at the expense of this franchise. I mean those picks are HUGE in regards to the future of that team.

Curious where you heard this? I've only skimmed the story on NFL.com that I posted, and it said "Loomis' suspension, which is also without pay, will be for the first eight games of the 2012 season." Nothing about it starting before then, or affecting his participation in the draft.

The press release at NFL.com has more info, but I don't see anything there to indicate the front office is banned from being involved in the draft or other off season activities. http://www.nfl.com/n...HP11_hot_topics

Payton's suspsension starts April 1, and lasts for the entire 2012 NFL season. So he will miss the draft.

Not saying you're wrong just wondering whether you hear. I have no doubt there are many sources discussing this, but also know they often rush to do that and don't check their facts first.

I consider their GM, their head Coach and assistant head coach their "front office" My apologies if you assumed that the janitor and receptionists were included. Those are the main decision makers for teh draft, and therefore the most relevant :rolleyes:

The suspension will cost Payton $8 million smackers. Wow. I can't imagine what it's like to lose $8 million worth of paychecks.

$8 million and a year long suspension is appropriate?

So, I wonder how many team sanctioned bounty pools are going to be in operation next year?

And isn't that really the problem? Whether or not we want to admit it, rajn is right, this is obviously a league-wide problem or there would be no reason to end the Saints 2012 season before it even starts. This action seems to indicate the practice was commonplace and someone had to be sacrificed to get it to stop.

Goodell may want to consider punishing the Saints further by selecting a new venue for the Superbowl this year. I've always said that everyone is welcome in New Orleans, but he's going to need to borrow the Pope-mobile to make it around that city.

• Like 1