[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sean Payton suspended for a year

BillyBalata

If you think a small percentage of teams are doing it, then you'd be wrong. I hear Alfred Williams on the other day and he was explaining how the payouts were like peanuts. Players would volunteer at times just to get the big hit. Have you ever listened to Lyle Alzado's interviews. He was blatant about it. Heck, the raiders would advertise it dang near.

This is a league wide issue and damaging a single team so severely is outlandish. I mean it really puts a hurt to that franchise. And remember, these were the NFL darlings just 2 years ago!

And how many players are coming out speaking about these? How many times has the NFL told them to stop, or do they even know about it?

If this has in fact been happening, then I need to see evidence that the NFL told them to stop and they didn't comply, let alone that it was team-sanctioned to put them on the same level as the Saints refusing to follow protocol.

How about the more recent Alfred WIlliams!

Anything that happened prior to Rodger Goodell can be thrown out the window. Goodell's biggest mission is player safety. What happend 20-30 years ago... Or 6-7 years ago doesn't matter in this circumstance. The league has changed, as is the bounty system.

As much as I love watching NFL games, the NFL is a corrupt organization and is all about 32 people - the owners. And the Sports Media that covers the NFL is just as corrupt as the NFL. They don't do any real reporting. Anything that could be reported to really make the NFL look bad is not reported, because if it is, they are cut-off by the NFL. No access = no job.

I was asking the same question when Spygate came out. Is this murder or is it running a red light in a bad neighborhood at 3am in the morning? We, the public, will never know, because the Sports Media, who knows how common it was by team will never report it.

The same thing is true now. How many teams had some sort of a bounty system. The "reporters" in every NFL city know the answer, but none of them are going to spill the beans.

What the Saints organization did was "awful" and "stupid", but this result makes the NFL look good, like it is "doing something about the problem - setting an example".

Is the real story that there are a dozen teams that have had a bounty system in the last few years?

Everyone involved in this is being made an example, but what about "ole" Tom Benson. He makes more money off of how well the NFL as a whole does than he makes off the Saints. Are he and the other owners just circling the wagons to protect their real franchise, "The NFL Brand". The team was fined $500,000. That is chump change.

I think that, in the end, the protecting of the "NFL Franchise" will be the downfall of the NFL. 30 years from now, we will be watching NFL flag/touch football and wondering what happened to the game we loved.

• Like 1

Anything that happened prior to Rodger Goodell can be thrown out the window. Goodell's biggest mission is player safety. What happend 20-30 years ago... Or 6-7 years ago doesn't matter in this circumstance. The league has changed, as is the bounty system.

The point being, yes, the league is changing but it was and is a league issue, not a team issue.!

This... First off it's a total cop-out to say that other teams are doing this, when we've not seen anything come out that other teams are (other than unsanctioned player-led or unspoken agreements), so it's silly to say this is a cultural problem, when we don't even have evidence of that... But you're absolutely right, it would have been one thing if it was jsut a culture of bounties left over from football's more violent days, but this is a matter of insubordination on a matter that the NFL is forced to take very seriously now. You don't want to listen when they tell you to stop, then expect to be the poster child when you risk tarnishing the NFL's name and interests.

exactly. none of this is unfair in any way, because the saints were warned specifically and repeatedly. not only did they ignore those warnings, but they flat-out lied and said they stopped. they set themselves up for a world of hurt. all this other stuff about what other teams might do, or did 20 years ago, is completely beside the point.

• Like 1

I think that some of you guys are getting sidetracked about what happened in the past. The NFL, without question, had to make a statement that bounties would not be tolerated. And that it did.

I'm at a loss as to why the league should have let what Lyle f'n Alzado did factor into the punishment.

I think that some of you guys are getting sidetracked about what happened in the past. The NFL, without question, had to make a statement that bounties would not be tolerated. And that it did.

I'm at a loss as to why the league should have let what Lyle f'n Alzado did factor into the punishment.

I do agree here. I do think though that there is a difference between making a statement and obliterating a team. If you're going to suspend Payton for the season, fine, do it with pay and/or at least let him work through training camp so that the Saints will at least have a chance to field a competitive team this year. While I agree the penalties should have been harsh, they are doing MUCH more than punishing the guilty parties here.

• Like 1

I agree there needed to be a statement. My only contention is how bad will it effect this single team when, more then likely, 32 other teams were in collusion on the bounties.

I'm not even a saints fan but I don't like this decision. Any who, that's my 2¢ and I'm sure many of you disagree with me.

More info is coming out:

As recently as this year, Payton said he was entirely unaware of the bounties — "a claim contradicted by others," the league said. And according to the investigation, Payton received an email before the Saints' first game in 2011 that read, "PS Greg Williams put me down for $5000 on Rogers (sic)." When Payton was shown that email by NFL investigators, he acknowledged it referred to a bounty on Rodgers, whose Packers beat the Saints in Week 1.

and why would that be?

It's one thing if the Saints got busted on their own, but Shockey turned them in because he's a bitter b***h. I'd like to see him play again just so I could see him get blown up on the field again by a defensive player from any team.

I consider their GM, their head Coach and assistant head coach their "front office" My apologies if you assumed that the janitor and receptionists were included. Those are the main decision makers for teh draft, and therefore the most relevant :rolleyes:

Ok, no need to get snarky. The coaches to me are not part of the front office, they are coaches. GM, VP of x, y, z, scouts, etc. I'd never consider a janitor, secretary or somebody else as part of the front office. I was simply looking for clarification, not an argument.

Their GM isn't suspended for drafting and other activities between now and the beginning of the season. Nor are any other "front office" types.

Sure it hurts to not have the coach available, sure it hurts to have the GM suspended during the first half of the season. Sure it hurts to have lost picks. But we need to remember they didn't just get caught now, they were caught before and told to stop, agreed that they would, and then got caught again. There's a pattern of action here that justifies this to some degree IMHO.

It's one thing if the Saints got busted on their own, but Shockey turned them in because he's a bitter b***h. I'd like to see him play again just so I could see him get blown up on the field again by a defensive player from any team.

be careful being a fan of a dirty team that would rather play victim than be accountable doesn't start rubbing off on you.

• Like 1