[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Words with Friends Tournament

Hugh 0ne

Gopher 396

DMD 362

Very close game, back and forth the whole way. Didn't really feel comfortable until all tiles were in hand, and there were several times in the latter part of the match where I felt that he was going to pull away. Double word "puja" and triple word "keto" helped me seal the deal late. :whistle:

Definitely could have gone either way, and I was fortunate to win it.

yes, i know i took awhile ... had a golf trip to tampa (where we saw VH), so i was not very responsive this weekend.

it would have been good to actually finish the game before you started the next one but no big deal. i did just drop a 53 pointer that at least narrowed the huge gap and i of course will keep fighting until the official end.

in the end, you getting the q, z, x, and j was too much to overcome. 70+ points alone from just those 4 letters ...

yes, i know i took awhile ... had a golf trip to tampa (where we saw VH), so i was not very responsive this weekend.

it would have been good to actually finish the game before you started the next one but no big deal. i did just drop a 53 pointer that at least narrowed the huge gap and i of course will keep fighting until the official end.

in the end, you getting the q, z, x, and j was too much to overcome. 70+ points alone from just those 4 letters ...

I accepted his invitation, but haven't actually played a word yet... I'll wait for the official word that's over, as I've seen 100+ point leads disappear in this game on more than one occasion.

it would have been good to actually finish the game before you started the next one but no big deal.  i did just drop a 53 pointer that at least narrowed the huge gap and i of course will keep fighting until the official end.

in the end, you getting the q, z, x, and j was too much to overcome.  70+ points alone from just those 4 letters ...

You know what, I started the game with Gopher not as any kind of disrespect thing but just to move the tourney along.  I've got games in progress with 4 Huddlers right now, figured if I lost, the game with Gopher would just be another one of those.

But honestly, calling out which tiles I got is a bit weak for a few reasons...first, BRICKING, GLINT, and EDUCATE don't contain a J, Q, X or Z, but earned me something like 220 points.  Once the board was gridlocked I was blessed with the Q and Z, played QI for 11 and ZED for a whopping 23.  At that point I was just trying to dump them so I wouldn't eat them in the end.  If you think you could have beaten me with those letters at that point in the game, I would have liked to have seen it.

Another thing, middle game, you put down some really weak plays, 11's and 15's or whatever, and I figured you had given up.  Endgame, you brought some better words but honestly I did not feel threatened at any point.  It is really lame and disingenuous of you not to recognize the defensive game that I played, especially in the middle game and just whine about the letters.  Maybe if DWs and TWs weren't there, it was because I was containing you.

This game often comes down to who gets the better racks which is why I suggested we go 2 out of 3.  Grunge and rajn regularly kick the crap out of me and dug is doing so right now too.  Grunge has a strategy where he saves and/or swaps letters until he can make a few huge plays, and when it works, it's deadly.  Many times recently I've been dealt a hand of pure sh!t and lost as a result. I don't bitch about it, I tip my cap.  I think 2 out of 3 makes sense for the tourney.  But to whine about your racks when you were beaten fair and square is just incredibly weak IMO.

You know what, I started the game with Gopher not as any kind of disrespect thing but just to move the tourney along.  I've got games in progress with 4 Huddlers right now, figured if I lost, the game with Gopher would just be another one of those.

But honestly, calling out which tiles I got is a bit weak for a few reasons...first, BRICKING, GLINT, and EDUCATE don't contain a J, Q, X or Z, but earned me something like 220 points.  Once the board was gridlocked I was blessed with the Q and Z, played QI for 11 and ZED for a whopping 23.  At that point I was just trying to dump them so I wouldn't eat them in the end.  If you think you could have beaten me with those letters at that point in the game, I would have liked to have seen it.

Another thing, middle game, you put down some really weak plays, 11's and 15's or whatever, and I figured you had given up.  Endgame, you brought some better words but honestly I did not feel threatened at any point.  It is really lame and disingenuous of you not to recognize the defensive game that I played, especially in the middle game and just whine about the letters.  Maybe if DWs and TWs weren't there, it was because I was containing you.

This game often comes down to who gets the better racks which is why I suggested we go 2 out of 3.  Grunge and rajn regularly kick the crap out of me and dug is doing so right now too.  Grunge has a strategy where he saves and/or swaps letters until he can make a few huge plays, and when it works, it's deadly.  Many times recently I've been dealt a hand of pure sh!t and lost as a result. I don't bitch about it, I tip my cap.  I think 2 out of 3 makes sense for the tourney.  But to whine about your racks when you were beaten fair and square is just incredibly weak IMO.

Sh!t talking in words with friends.

Now THAT is badass.

Sh!t talking in words with friends.

Now THAT is badass.

LOL! I can't even wish to be able to do so.

I can honestly say that I've never even thought of swapping out tiles. Even when I started my game two rounds ago with seven vowels, I played something (to start the board). Not saying there's anything wrong with it... It just never crossed my mind.

I can honestly say that I've never even thought of swapping out tiles. Even when I started my game two rounds ago with seven vowels, I played something (to start the board). Not saying there's anything wrong with it... It just never crossed my mind.

I have only swapped on my opening turn if I recall correctly....because I had no vowels...:bash:

I've played with Grunge where he's swapped something like 3 turns in a row.

Grunge is a master swapper and when he is just swapping one tile you know he is about to get medieval on you. He did teach me not to mess around on a set of bad tiles. Just bite the bullet and thrown them back instead of fighting to find words like "aioli".

Grunge is a master swapper and when he is just swapping one tile you know he is about to get medieval on you. He did teach me not to mess around on a set of bad tiles. Just bite the bullet and thrown them back instead of fighting to find words like "aioli".

I just gave him a dose of his own medicine. I swapped out an R and scored the E that I needed to spell out "feature" for 88 points. :yes:

You know what, I started the game with Gopher not as any kind of disrespect thing but just to move the tourney along. I've got games in progress with 4 Huddlers right now, figured if I lost, the game with Gopher would just be another one of those.

But honestly, calling out which tiles I got is a bit weak for a few reasons...first, BRICKING, GLINT, and EDUCATE don't contain a J, Q, X or Z, but earned me something like 220 points. Once the board was gridlocked I was blessed with the Q and Z, played QI for 11 and ZED for a whopping 23. At that point I was just trying to dump them so I wouldn't eat them in the end. If you think you could have beaten me with those letters at that point in the game, I would have liked to have seen it.

Another thing, middle game, you put down some really weak plays, 11's and 15's or whatever, and I figured you had given up. Endgame, you brought some better words but honestly I did not feel threatened at any point. It is really lame and disingenuous of you not to recognize the defensive game that I played, especially in the middle game and just whine about the letters. Maybe if DWs and TWs weren't there, it was because I was containing you.

This game often comes down to who gets the better racks which is why I suggested we go 2 out of 3. Grunge and rajn regularly kick the crap out of me and dug is doing so right now too. Grunge has a strategy where he saves and/or swaps letters until he can make a few huge plays, and when it works, it's deadly. Many times recently I've been dealt a hand of pure sh!t and lost as a result. I don't bitch about it, I tip my cap. I think 2 out of 3 makes sense for the tourney. But to whine about your racks when you were beaten fair and square is just incredibly weak IMO.

not biatching. it is a fact that you got the 4 biggest tiles in the game and they landed you a combined 92 points. J was 30, q was 10, z was 20, x was 32 as it was used twice based on how you played it. it is hard to win a game without getting some of these and having the shot to put up those kind of numbers. that's all i was saying.

i don't dispute your skills. you played a great game and from our practice games, it's clear to me you are a super strong player!