Sign in to follow this  
Hugh 0ne

Words with Friends Tournament

Suggestion ...

Since whomever goes first gets a 'freebie' double word to start the game, and since whomever goes first is a bit of a crapshoot, let's undo the first double word score when determining the winner of each match. Its sort of like giving the "home team" in a FF game a three point home field advantage before the kickoff of the first game. It's hardly fair, and it skews the results towards whomever happened to go first.

For example, in my game against twiley right now, I went first ("waive") and got an extra 12pts simply because i went first. For our purposes, we shouldn't consider it a win unless I'd actually beat him by more than 12pts.

Wouldn't work well in practice, but interesting idea.

Words with friends is different from Scrabble in that you do not automatically get double points for simply being first ... you have to open with at least a 5 letter word to get double. But then you also allow player two to get his/her choice of other bonus tiles. To me, it is neither here nor there.

+1

Im close to winning against rajn and matt right now but they are snipers so I wont count my chickens.

Yeah, I don't think I'm going to make up almost 80 points with what I've got in my rack. :lol: I'm pretty sure you've got me this time. :tup:

Suggestion ...

Since whomever goes first gets a 'freebie' double word to start the game, and since whomever goes first is a bit of a crapshoot, let's undo the first double word score when determining the winner of each match. Its sort of like giving the "home team" in a FF game a three point home field advantage before the kickoff of the first game. It's hardly fair, and it skews the results towards whomever happened to go first.

For example, in my game against twiley right now, I went first ("waive") and got an extra 12pts simply because i went first. For our purposes, we shouldn't consider it a win unless I'd actually beat him by more than 12pts.

I vote no & agree with SH. It's not always that easy to make a 5 letter word.

BTW, I'm holding off on rematches for now. One because I don't want it to interfere with the start of the tourney, another because I have an extremely busy weekend that's starting this afternoon.

BTW, I'm holding off on rematches for now. One because I don't want it to interfere with the start of the tourney, another because I have an extremely busy weekend that's starting this afternoon.

I've been very slow with my games too, swamped at work, dealing with the dog, garden, assorted other landscaping projects, etc. Generally only finding time a couple of times per day to make my plays.

I've been very slow with my games too, swamped at work, dealing with the dog, garden, assorted other landscaping projects, scouring my cheat app for the best possible score. Generally only finding time a couple of times per day to make my plays.

:shades:

scouring my cheat app for the best possible score

Anyone who uses one of those is a loser, and against a fellow Huddler, a total assfaced goat-burritoing four-flushing Chile Con Queso. :smash:

Words with friends is different from Scrabble in that you do not automatically get double points for simply being first ... you have to open with at least a 5 letter word to get double. But then you also allow player two to get his/her choice of other bonus tiles. To me, it is neither here nor there. Of course, when you play cooby she opens with using all her tiles and gets a double on top of a double, so look out!

Yeah, it is never a guarantee....I have started off getting my tail kicked by someone using all of their tiles on the first turn and still came back to win after being down by a little over 100.....don't ask me how, but I did it...

You could also game that rule and pass on your turn or save your tiles and play a two letter word. Then the 2nd player has the advantage. Plus in regular play the 2nd player gets an advantage as they can play off the first players letters as is. I really doubt playing first has any kind of statistical advantage from what I've seen.

Ive slowed down on rematches a bit too. I love the new games with the different faces but at one point I had over 10 going....and thats just with TBone

Anyone who uses one of those is a loser, and against a fellow Huddler, a total assfaced goat-burritoing four-flushing Chile Con Queso. :smash:

+1

FWIW, nobody that I have played seemed like they were cheating. I wouldn't expect that out of any of you.

Cool then I won't take my next turn until Friday...maybe you'll be too busy and I'll win a forfeit. #it'smyonlychance

Cool then I won't take my next turn until Friday...maybe you'll be too busy and I'll win a forfeit. #it'smyonlychance

No, I can finish out the few games I have left. :D

The tourney rounds should be best 2 out of 3, at least for the semis and finals. A lot of these games are tighter than SEC's dog's ass.

We'll play head to head, single elimination, bracket style. If you win, you move to the next round, if you lose, you're out,

The tourney rounds should be best 2 out of 3, at least for the semis and finals. A lot of these games are tighter than SEC's dog's ass.

If you cant stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen

If you cant stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen

Why don't we save time and just SNICKERSing roll dice?

Somebody, please take charge and tell me what to do.

Bark once for A, twice for B, three times for C...

Keep your dogs away if Matt shows up to a match with a jar of peanut butter.

Did Hughy go away on vacation? The OP isn't even updated with all players...

I'm sick of waiting around to get started...

Some just seed everyone who is in this thing (alpha order by huddle name?) and pair off.

Five rounds -- first two rounds are the bes two out of three ... next two rounds are three out of five ... and championship round is four of seven ...

Thoughts?

that game is a joke. I tried to use undulate and that was rules as not a word. My friend won the game with fatbird.

Some just seed everyone who is in this thing (alpha order by huddle name?) and pair off.

Five rounds -- first two rounds are the bes two out of three ... next two rounds are three out of five ... and championship round is four of seven ...

Thoughts?

Each game takes too long as it is imo

Thoughts?

I thought this was going to be something to help get us through the slow part of the off-season. We play that many games, and I might be trying to drag people away from their Words With Friends game so that they can make a draft pick in late August. :huh: