[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

New puppy

matt770

So Meredith, how do I know if separation anxiety is an issue? Some whining when he's first put in the crate is normal, right?

I went to the store yesterday for about an hour and when I came home he was sleeping in the crate. I'd think if there was a major issue he'd be going nuts the whole time, but maybe I'm missing something. He does always need to be around us which I thought was normal puppy behavior (though he is starting to visit other areas of the house more often).

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Meredith, how do I know if separation anxiety is an issue? Some whining when he's first put in the crate is normal, right?

I went to the store yesterday for about an hour and when I came home he was sleeping in the crate. I'd think if there was a major issue he'd be going nuts the whole time, but maybe I'm missing something. He does always need to be around us which I thought was normal puppy behavior (though he is starting to visit other areas of the house more often).

Separation anxiety has many levels, from mildly being distressed that you leaving but settles down in a few minutes, to dogs who literally have a panic attack and drool, hyperventilate, and literally try to eat their way out of the house. I have had cases where dogs jump through windows, and one ate the dry wall to the wiring right next to a window. You want to make sure Pork Chop doesn't get to that point, and he probably won't since he is making improvements with each day.

If you can leave and be gone an hour without him being distressed, you are doing well. Gradually increase your depature times, but purpously make some short. Don't make a big deal out of departures and arrivals. If you feel bad for leaving him, it will increase anxiety. Don't hug and kiss and say you will miss him, and when you return, ignore him for a few minutes before saying hi. Also, don't punish him if you come home and he has destroyed something. It will make him more stressed when you leave. Dr. Ian Dunbar did a study with video, that the dogs who were punished, often did their destruction right before the owner traditionally got home from work. Dogs chew to relieve stress, and they were actually stressed that their owner was coming home, because they got punished the minute they walked through the door, and they had no idea why. Pushing your dog's nose into something they destroyed minutes or hours before and yelling or spanking, they can't connect the dots. When often think dogs are showing guilt when they are doing something wrong, when what they are doing is showing appeasement behavior to avoid punishment. It looks like guilt to us humans so we assume they know they did something wrong.

I would not encourage him to follow you everywhere all the time. Take breaks while you are home where he is alone. If he gets the idea he is supposed to be with you every minute, being without you will be that much harder. No different than with human children. This sounds like to me that Pork Chop is showing normal adjustment behavior, and you are doing everything right. :tup:

Severe SA and aggression towards children living in the household are the two cases I hate. They don't often end well.

Separation anxiety has many levels, from mildly being distressed that you leaving but settles down in a few minutes, to dogs who literally have a panic attack and drool, hyperventilate, and literally try to eat their way out of the house. I have had cases where dogs jump through windows, and one ate the dry wall to the wiring right next to a window. You want to make sure Pork Chop doesn't get to that point, and he probably won't since he is making improvements with each day.

If you can leave and be gone an hour without him being distressed, you are doing well. Gradually increase your depature times, but purpously make some short. Don't make a big deal out of departures and arrivals. If you feel bad for leaving him, it will increase anxiety. Don't hug and kiss and say you will miss him, and when you return, ignore him for a few minutes before saying hi. Also, don't punish him if you come home and he has destroyed something. It will make him more stressed when you leave. Dr. Ian Dunbar did a study with video, that the dogs who were punished, often did their destruction right before the owner traditionally got home from work. Dogs chew to relieve stress, and they were actually stressed that their owner was coming home, because they got punished the minute they walked through the door, and they had no idea why. Pushing your dog's nose into something they destroyed minutes or hours before and yelling or spanking, they can't connect the dots. When often think dogs are showing guilt when they are doing something wrong, when what they are doing is showing appeasement behavior to avoid punishment. It looks like guilt to us humans so we assume they know they did something wrong.

I would not encourage him to follow you everywhere all the time. Take breaks while you are home where he is alone. If he gets the idea he is supposed to be with you every minute, being without you will be that much harder. No different than with human children. This sounds like to me that Pork Chop is showing normal adjustment behavior, and you are doing everything right. :tup:

Severe SA and aggression towards children living in the household are the two cases I hate. They don't often end well.

Awesome, thanks for all the advice! I guess we lucked out with this guy, no major issues to work through. Can't wait til he's completely housebroken so I can give him more freedom in the house.

We finally did it, went to the humane society yesterday and picked out our pup. His name is Pork Chop, he's 4 months old and he's a lab/basset hound mix. He's so awesome! Really playful and just hilarious when he runs around outside, and really affectionate. We're crate training him and he just walked into the crate and is dead asleep in there now! I thought that was pretty good after one day. I think he's gifted.

Good to hear :)

Awesome, thanks for all the advice! I guess we lucked out with this guy, no major issues to work through. Can't wait til he's completely housebroken so I can give him more freedom in the house.

If you haven't read this yet, here is my housebreaking article. It is one of the better ones I have written. Some of mine are well written, some just okay :D

So, yesterday was not so good. I was working in the front yard and my wife let the dog out so I could take a break and hang out with him. I'm throwing a ball and he's fetching it, we're having a blast. A kid comes jogging by, he's maybe 16, listening to his iPod. I give him the neighborly wave, he waves back. All of a sudden Pork Chop just takes off and makes a beeline to this kid, growling as he runs. Before I could say or do anything, he jumps and latches on to the kid's thigh and starts going at it like it's a rawhide bone. Now here's the part that pisses me off, this kid who could have flung this 14-pound puppy off him like a rag doll instead panics and screams, puts his hands up, get him off me, get him off me. I'm running toward them but it's happening really fast. So the kid then twists his body and when he does, the dog gets hold of his nuts. Now the kid is on the ground screaming and crying and I finally get over there and yank the dog off him.

Now it's a huge scene, neighbors are running over, I'm apologizing over and over, he's still crying, telling me the dog should be on a leash, and holding his crotch. Meanwhile I'm holding Pork Chop and he's his old docile self, like nothing happened. Eventually the kid gets up and starts walking home and I again apologize and ask that he please stop by and let me know he's okay.

Then around 10PM, a knock on the door, it's the kid's dad and he's really pissed, looks like he's been through hell. Tells me he took the kid to the ER and he had a ruptured testicle and it had to be removed. Tells me he hopes we've enjoyed living here because he's going to sue us for everything we've got. Again I'm apologizing, saying the pup never showed any aggression and I never thought it would attack anyone. He calls me some names, says I should be locked up, then I get mad and tell him to get off my property. He says I'll see you in court and I slam the door.

I haven't slept, pretty much losing my mind at this point. I'm worried about the lawsuit, wondering what the hell is wrong with this sweet pup we both fell in love with, and I'm guilt ridden over the kid losing a nut because of my dog. I don't want to give him up and I'm worried I may have to.

Other than that, he's doing well with his house training and no longer whines when we put him in the crate, not even a whimper.

So, yesterday was not so good. I was working in the front yard and my wife let the dog out so I could take a break and hang out with him. I'm throwing a ball and he's fetching it, we're having a blast. A kid comes jogging by, he's maybe 16, listening to his iPod. I give him the neighborly wave, he waves back. All of a sudden Pork Chop just takes off and makes a beeline to this kid, growling as he runs. Before I could say or do anything, he jumps and latches on to the kid's thigh and starts going at it like it's a rawhide bone. Now here's the part that pisses me off, this kid who could have flung this 14-pound puppy off him like a rag doll instead panics and screams, puts his hands up, get him off me, get him off me. I'm running toward them but it's happening really fast. So the kid then twists his body and when he does, the dog gets hold of his nuts. Now the kid is on the ground screaming and crying and I finally get over there and yank the dog off him.

Now it's a huge scene, neighbors are running over, I'm apologizing over and over, he's still crying, telling me the dog should be on a leash, and holding his crotch. Meanwhile I'm holding Pork Chop and he's his old docile self, like nothing happened. Eventually the kid gets up and starts walking home and I again apologize and ask that he please stop by and let me know he's okay.

Then around 10PM, a knock on the door, it's the kid's dad and he's really pissed, looks like he's been through hell. Tells me he took the kid to the ER and he had a ruptured testicle and it had to be removed. Tells me he hopes we've enjoyed living here because he's going to sue us for everything we've got. Again I'm apologizing, saying the pup never showed any aggression and I never thought it would attack anyone. He calls me some names, says I should be locked up, then I get mad and tell him to get off my property. He says I'll see you in court and I slam the door.

I haven't slept, pretty much losing my mind at this point. I'm worried about the lawsuit, wondering what the hell is wrong with this sweet pup we both fell in love with, and I'm guilt ridden over the kid losing a nut because of my dog. I don't want to give him up and I'm worried I may have to.

Other than that, he's doing well with his house training and no longer whines when we put him in the crate, not even a whimper.

OMG Matt, I can't believe this happened. I have to be straight here the future for Pork Chop is not good. I think if he had grabbed somewhere else the injuries would not have been so severe. I assume a police report has been filed, as required by law in most states, and you will get a call and Pork Chop will need to be quarentined for a rabies watch.

As Dr. Patricia McConnell, a PhD Applied Animal Behaviorist has quoted, a puppy showing aggression is not normal behavior, and her analogy is like a three year old human child stabbing someone with a knife. Dr. Ian Dunbar, another Applied Animal Behaviorist, who did a 10 year study, and did a thesis on socialization of dogs, looks at the damage a dog does when he bites. Did he bite and then let go, or latch on and try to do damage? That is the worst case scenario in regards to his temperament. Because of the delicate area in which he grabbed, it is really hard to evaluate how much damage he would have done if it was an arm or a leg.

It is always a good news, bad news when puppies bite. The good news is they haven't had many trials of practicing the behavior, and they are very moldable at that age. The bad news is, it is all hardwired when it happens at this age. There is nothing nuturing that has contributed to this behavior. When a dog bites, we are quick to blame the owner, when the owner probably has little to do with it unless he/she taught the dog to be aggressive, ignored the aggression, or isolated the dog and never socialized the dog when it was a puppy.

Even if we train aggression out of a dog, which is difficult, there is always that perfect storm, which you had. Dogs bite because they feel threatened, very very rarely because they want to be dominant. We can train him that people aren't threatening through socialization, but all it takes is one person who feels threatened by a bark or growl and instead of backing down, kicks the dog or whatever, and we now know how Pork Chop will handle it.

Why he bit this boy is unknown, and the yelling and screaming probably made this worse. Running was probably a trigger. For liability reasons, if it was me, I would not keep this puppy. You will not be able to get anymore home owners insurance, you and your family are now marked by the neighborhood, and you will always be on edge. The thing is no rescue group or shelter will take him, for liability and ethical reasons.

I am so sorry this happened to you. I would get a lawyer and right now and not talk to the kids parents again until you do.

The thing is because I have seen so many aggression cases, this seemed believable. I had a one year old mini-Aussie that went after and bit the thigh and crotch of the children in the house. He had bitten every family member, stole their things, then guarded them and dared them to take it back. This dog knew what was theirs. He would give up his things, but guard theirs. He would guard them until he had to go to the bathroom, and that was the only way they could get them back. I have seen some really bizarre cases.

I guess if he ever acts up I'll grill him a lower cut like flank steak as opposed to the ribeye he prefers. Maybe no potatoes either, and make him drink box wine instead of the good stuff.

Pics

Oh man, what an effing cutie!

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

He's the best puppy who has ever lived. He loves everyone and everyone loves him. He is funny, sweet, obedient, loyal, affectionate, loves to run around and play, and afterwards lays in his little puppy bed and snores, and it's just the cutest thing you've ever seen. This dog could stop warring nations from fighting. So yeah, it's going well.

Update:

He's the best puppy who has ever lived. He loves everyone and everyone loves him. He is funny, sweet, obedient, loyal, affectionate, loves to run around and play, and afterwards lays in his little puppy bed and snores, and it's just the cutest thing you've ever seen. This dog could stop warring nations from fighting. So yeah, it's going well.

The puppy may be good but how's your manhood after this post?

Update:

Dogs are the best pet EVAH!!!!