[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NY fans...What determines a...

rocknrobn26

I was always curious about this. In Chi back in the 50's it was sorta a north vs south side thing. But in reality it was more than that, and the cards just couldn't generate a fan base.

So all I am asking is:

Is it an age thing?

A location (where you live thing)?

Old fan vs young(er) fan?

Family (dad) thing?

Inquiring minds need to know..........

TIA

It has a lot to do with which borough you live in. Queens and Long Island are a stronghold for the Jets. Manhattan and the Bronx is Giants territory. Why? Because the Jets used to play at Shea Stadium, and the Giants used to play at Yankee Stadium. This plays into the "ets" thing: You either root for the old school New York teams (Giants, Yankees, Knicks) or the newer "ETS" teams (Jets, Mets, Nets).

Also age has a lot to do with it. The Jets didn't exist until around 1960. Anyone born before 1950 or so already latched onto the Giants. My dad is a lifelong Giants fan, and so he passed it on to me.

I always thought it was the level of gheyness. Giants fans are the true picture of Jersey/NY: pimped-out cars, wife-beater t-shirts, wing-tip shoes...exactly what you see on Jersey Shore ...the level of ghey is beyhond comprehension.

Jets fans are more blue-color, plumber-types. Not so ghey, but momos nonetheless.

I always thought it was the level of gheyness. Giants fans are the true picture of Jersey/NY: pimped-out cars, wife-beater t-shirts, wing-tip shoes...exactly what you see on Jersey Shore ...the level of ghey is beyhond comprehension.

Jets fans are more blue-color, plumber-types. Not so ghey, but momos nonetheless.

If you lived around here you would know that the above really isnt true. I generally dont see a lot of guido types heavily into sports. Most of the giants fans I know are blue collar types and the ones that are white collar types arent generally D bags. A lot of the Jets fans I know are originally from NY. Jet fans are the underdog types around here. Jets fans are to Giants fans as the Mets fans are to Yankees fans

Edited by whomper

Location mostly. But i became a bigger Jets fan when i began to get fed up with Giants fans(certainly not all of them) being super ignorant about the bigger scheme of football/the NFL. This doesn't really apply to fans on this board. But for example, claims such as "eli has been and always will be better than peyton" "jpp should be DPOY" and the list goes on and on...but all fan bases have these guys. The jets and giants are home of some of the dumbest though

If you lived around here you would know that the above really isnt true. I generally dont see a lot of guido types heavily into sports. Most of the giants fans I know are blue collar types and the ones that are white collar types arent generally D bags. A lot of the Jets fans I know are originally from NY. Jet fans are the underdog types around here. Jets fans are to Giants fans as the Mets fans are to Yankees fans

You definitely know better than me, but I am taking my generalization from the mugs I went to school with. The Giants fans were mainly from Plainfield/Berkley Heights/Morristown/etc, and pure Jersey ghey (and I mean that in a good way :unsure: )...the Jets fans were from Long Island (Farmingdale, Babylon, Commack)...all what I call hard-working neighborhoods...and to your point, underdogs as compared to their wealthier New Jersey suburbs.

And also to your point, it seems that from those I know that Rangers fans are also Giants fans, while Islander fans are also Jet fans.

Thanks for the info...interesting.

:lol: At Chicago Cardinals. Wasn't it one champeenship in 35 years that did them in?

And they played at Comsikey, right? When the Cubs played at Wrigley...

2 championships actually, a few winless seasons, and Yes they played at Comiskey.

The Chi Cards...