[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs

Hugh 0ne

Congrats to the Flyers fans. Though it was delayed a few games, you can now celebrate the series victory. Your team definitely deserved to win this series. They wanted it more. They are also an extremely talented, young team, so, you've got a lot to be excited about for the future. I'm glad the Pens at least made a series out of it, after the embarrassment of game # 3. I'm most disappointed that I won't be able to enjoy the Pens in the playoffs, though I'll still be watching, as playoff hockey is as exciting as it gets. Best of luck the rest of the way.

Congrats to the Flyers fans. Though it was delayed a few games, you can now celebrate the series victory. Your team definitely deserved to win this series. They wanted it more. They are also an extremely talented, young team, so, you've got a lot to be excited about for the future. I'm glad the Pens at least made a series out of it, after the embarrassment of game # 3. I'm most disappointed that I won't be able to enjoy the Pens in the playoffs, though I'll still be watching, as playoff hockey is as exciting as it gets. Best of luck the rest of the way.

Im having Deja vu

:tup: Thanks! I was at the new Xfinity Live yesterday for the game (across the street from all the venues in Philly). Great atmosphere in what is a pretty cool place. We got a table down front, right below the GIANT screen. When Giroux nailed Crosby and then scroed a few seconds later, we knew it was going to be a great day!

Nashville/St. Louis/Los Angeles/Phoenix - one of those teams get a chance for the Cup.

The best thing about the NHL is how several full series will allow a team with the best depth/defense/goaltending a chance. All four of these teams have outstanding net minders, and as solid of defense as there is. We will see several late night/early morning OT games in the West.

Nashville/St. Louis/Los Angeles/Phoenix - one of those teams get a chance for the Cup.

Nashville and Phoenix is going to be a heckuva matchup. I'm liking what I see from the Preds right now. The Blues seem like the team to beat out West by a mile, though there's still some hockey to be played.

From a Seattle perspective, there's a lot of hubbub about getting the Phoenix franchise to move up here, this is the first time the Coyote/Jets franchise has won a playoff series since '87, The 25 years was the longest drought in pro sports. It will be interesting to see if the fanbase and community can get behind the team and start going to games.

All anyone has to do is look back on past NHL playoff threads to see that what I predict isn't worth diddly squat, but that won't stop me from trying to make people think I know a thing or two about the greatest playoffs in all of sports.

Starting with the Eastern conference:

Rangers v Ottawa: This is a series where I think the #8 seed is going to be greatly overlooked. If ever there was a thing as a "trap series", then this is it. The Rangers are very, very good - no doubt about it. Lundquist is a stud, and they are a very tough and gritty team. That being said, I think the Senators can outscore the Rangers in this series. Whether that is due to a couple big games lumped in with some stinkers remains to be seen. Also Craig Anderson can get on a hot streak as good as anyone - it seems the more pucks he faces the better he plays. There is no way Ottawa can take 2 games in MSG though, so I go with the hugh upset pick and take the Sens in 6.

I was wrong about Ottawa taking 2 games in NY, and also wrong about the outcome, it was a phenomenal series though.

Boston v Washington: I hate Ovechkin. Mike Green is one of the most overrated players in the game in my opinion. Washington has no goaltending to speak of. Maybe Boston isn't the fearsome foe it was last year, but they have better goaltending, better team scoring, better defense, a better coach, better fans, better uniforms, better rink, and a better chance of winning this. I'll take great delight in seeing Alexander the Ghost disappear in the playoffs once again, while Semin is swallowed up by the enormity of the series which is Chara. Bruins in the sweep.

Consider this a total whiff. To quote from the Breakfast Club "Not even close bud!"

Florida v New Jersey: These teams are almost mirror images of each other. You would think that makes this a good series. Niether team has great goaltending - it looks like Clemmenson will start for the Panthers, while Broduer is not nearly the same goalie he was even 5 years ago - age catches up with us all. The scoring ability of both team is pretty close as well, but I have to give the edge to the big gunners of Kovalchuk, Parise, and one of the best rookies this year in Henrique. Not to mention guys like Elias and Zajac to give some additional depth. I think that Florida comes in with a chip on it's shoulder though and uses this series to show it wasn't a fluke they got the #3 seed. Panthers in 7.

Damn, I almost had this one. Great series, right # of games, picked the wrong horse though. Nice start, 0-3 for my picks.

Pittsburgh v Philadelphia: This has the makings of a brutal and one of the best series to watch from a fans perspective. Even if the fan doesn't give a rip about either team. Pittsburgh has the advantage in the scoring department, but I'm not sold that Fleury is at the level he's been at in the past. Still, he's better than any goalie the Flyers can throw at the Pens. The bleeding, battered carcass of the winner of this series will be hard pressed to make it far in my opinion, but the Pens don't have any quit in them. Pens in 6.

And thus I am 0-4 for the Eastern Conference. Way to stand out Pens!

For the Western conference:

Vancouver v Los Angeles: You would think this one would be a slam dunk, but LA has probably as good as if not better goaltending than the Canucks. Unfortunately the Kings don't have anywhere near the scoring punch to hand with the Canucks. It will be a very close first couple of games, but the floodgates will open and I see the Canucks in 5.

Can't say I'm sad to be wrong about this pick as I hate the Canucks with every fiber of my being.

St. Louis v San Jose: If the Sharks had a shut down goalie, this would be a much better series. The Sharks have goal scorers, but the Blues also can put the puck in the net with anyone on the top 2 lines - they're just a well balanced team. Hitchcock got this team to play solid D, and it shows. They lack a lot of playoff experience, which I think will only cause this series to get dragged out. A long learning expereince for the Blues is in order because despite his flaws, Neimi can get hot at times. Blues in 7.

HEY! My first series I picked the correct winner! Sure the # of games was off, but I'll take this anyways.

Phoenix v Chicago: After getting swept out of the playoffs by Detroit last year, the 'Yotes have something to prove. That being said, so do the Hawks who came oh so close to getting by the Canucks last year. This is a matchup where I think the higher seed is actually the underdog - we'll see how Mike Smith does as a playoff goalie. Vrbata is having a career year in the desert, but it's hard to go with a team with little to no playoff success in a non-traditional market. That and I think the Hawks come out with a lot to prove in the playoffs this year and woe be to the first team to get in their way. Blackhawks in 6.

I am so very, very bad at this.........................GET A F'N GOALIE CHICAGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Detroit v Nashville: Spain is somewhere yelling at all us NHL Huddlers that this is the year the Preds make it to the Cup. Nashville has a great goalie in Rinne, has a fantastic blue line, and adding Radulov at the end of the season vastly improved that offense. On the other side the Wings got back Howard who played stellar in the last 5 games of the year. Filpulla has come into his own this year, but the big question mark is the blue line for the Wings. It has to happen eventually, and I think this is the year the Predators win in 7.

Again off on the # of games, but nailed this one. Spain is still smiling somewhere.

Enjoy the playoffs everyone, and let's meet back for another round of futile guesswork for the semifinals! :tup:

Wow, a pathetic 2 out of 8. Maybe I can redeem myself in the second round.

Eastern Conference:

Rangers v. Capitals: The only top seed to advance in the East, the Rangers got by the trap series in a tough, grueling 7 games. The Caps also were able to grind out a 7 game series win. Holtby is hot right now, and the Caps almost like like they're playing defense. I think the Rangers got a wake up call from the Sens though and don't ease back in this series. The biggest margin of victory here will be 2 goals in a single game, with the 2nd being an empty net goal, so it's going to be tight. I have to give the edge to Lundqvist and the Rangers, as they will find a way to outlast a much improved Capitals team. Rangers in 7

Flyers v Devils: I can't see NJ hanging offensively with the Flyers. I also can't see Bryzgalov outplaying Brodeur, which makes this a tough call - better offense or better goaltending. 98.9% of the time you go with better goaltending in the playoffs, but I see a destined matchup of Flyers v. Rangers for an Eastern Conference Final. They'll have to go the distance to get there though. Flyers in 7.

Western Conference:

St. Louis v Los Angeles: Arguably the 2 best goaltending teams in the playoffs going head to head here. Offensively the edge goes to St. Louis in my opinion, but Philly west may come alive here. The difference maker in this series is Hitchcock and his ability to coach his team to levels they have never reached before. Blues in 7

Phoenix v Nashville: Nashville has the better goalie in Rinne. That is what the Hawks didn't have in the quarters. Nashville's goaltending and blue line will make the difference in this series, and it's going to be a great accomplishment for either one of these teams when they advance to the next round, but in this case I sat it will be Predators in 6 and Spain will soon be back to mock the rest of us hockey fans until the Cup is awarded or the Preds finally lose, whichever comes first.

Again, take this for what it's worth since I did so amazingly well with the first round.................

Eastern Conference:

Rangers v. Capitals: The only top seed to advance in the East, the Rangers got by the trap series in a tough, grueling 7 games. The Caps also were able to grind out a 7 game series win. Holtby is hot right now, and the Caps almost like like they're playing defense. I think the Rangers got a wake up call from the Sens though and don't ease back in this series. The biggest margin of victory here will be 2 goals in a single game, with the 2nd being an empty net goal, so it's going to be tight. I have to give the edge to Lundqvist and the Rangers, as they will find a way to outlast a much improved Capitals team. Rangers in 7

Flyers v Devils: I can't see NJ hanging offensively with the Flyers. I also can't see Bryzgalov outplaying Brodeur, which makes this a tough call - better offense or better goaltending. 98.9% of the time you go with better goaltending in the playoffs, but I see a destined matchup of Flyers v. Rangers for an Eastern Conference Final. They'll have to go the distance to get there though. Flyers in 7.

Western Conference:

St. Louis v Los Angeles: Arguably the 2 best goaltending teams in the playoffs going head to head here. Offensively the edge goes to St. Louis in my opinion, but Philly west may come alive here. The difference maker in this series is Hitchcock and his ability to coach his team to levels they have never reached before. Blues in 7

Phoenix v Nashville: Nashville has the better goalie in Rinne. That is what the Hawks didn't have in the quarters. Nashville's goaltending and blue line will make the difference in this series, and it's going to be a great accomplishment for either one of these teams when they advance to the next round, but in this case I sat it will be Predators in 6 and Spain will soon be back to mock the rest of us hockey fans until the Cup is awarded or the Preds finally lose, whichever comes first.

Again, take this for what it's worth since I did so amazingly well with the first round.................

:capsfan: Thanks for picking the Rangers :tup::unsure:

Eastern Conference:

Western Conference:

Can I be your bookie ?

NY over Ottawa in 7. Boston over Washington in 7. NJ over Florida in 6. Pittsburgh over Philly in 6.

Vancouver over LA in 4. St. Louis over SJ in 5. Chicago over Phoenix in 6. Detroit over Nashville in 7.

New York-Washington could be a really fun series. I may adopt the Caps the rest of the way out. Caps in 6.

Philly-NJ is going to be a barnburner as bloody as the 1st Round maybe. Flyers in 6.

St.Louis-LA is going to be over before it starts. Blues in 4.

Nashville-Phoenix is going to be the least watched playoff series in any sport in history, and could be thoroughly entertaining. Preds in 6.

St. Louis is looking really tough right now in the West, but I'm curious about Nashville. Seems like they might be on a little run here. The East looks totally open to me.

Hugh overtime win for the Flyers. :pickle:

Obviously flat in the 1st but reboubded nicely and dominated the 3rd/overtinme. Still, Bryz let's in too many "soft" ones...UGH...

losing that game would have been very deflating

Most said that game was the one they were most likely to lose since they'd been off for so long and may be rusty. Winning it was BIG.