[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Goodbye Minnesota Vikings

Savage Beatings

I'll just go back to cheering for the Duluth Eskimos.

Edited: I take that back after now recalling from memory that the team was sliced and diced through the depression and long story short they are now the Washington Redskins. There will be no redskins fans in our household.

Edited by MikesVikes

Copied from another message board...

FWIW, I'll expound on my disgust with this legislature for those who are not aware of all the nooks and crannies of how this sausage is getting made (or more appropriately, not made). This is based on description from Pat Kessler on Barreiro 4/17-4/19:

* On Monday, committee votes had been "pledged" in advance by both democrats and republicans which should have caused it to pass and move on. However, when when it came time to vote, all but one democrat bailed and voted no. The pre-arranged voting was to provide republicans "cover" (i.e. so it would not be a predominantly Republican approval of a spend bill). Result: 9-6 rejection by the House committee.

* On Thursday, Democrats (trying to avoid the blame game) suddenly raised an unscheduled re-vote of the bill without any pre-arrangement in place, and Republicans refused. Motivation was to give Democrats "well we tried and Republicans stopped us" PR even though Democrats were the party who killed the first vote.

* In the event of a full Senate vote, Governor is pushing for 34 yes votes by each party to cause bipartisan passage... for political reasons. Democrats, however, have said they will only put up 12 votes and force a supermajority of Republicans to make up the 56 vote difference (exposing the Republican party to anti-stadium backlash). Why? Because when Republicans were the minority party in 2006 when the Twins stadium was passed, Republicans said they would only put up 12 votes to pass that bill and forced Democrats to put up the remaining needed votes. So basically, a 6-year old ###-for-tat payback maneuver.

Does this sound in any way/shape/form like a process in which elected representatives are voting their conscience on behalf of constituents? I don't think so. Seems to me all are acting like party shills. It's the same political party gamesmanship we saw last year during the budget crisis, where each party was more interested in undermining and embarrassing the opposing party than legislating important state issues.

SNICKERSing tools. (My contribution)

This is going to get done and it may be as early as this coming week.

Only hours after Goodell and Gov. Mark Dayton pressed legislative leaders on the issue, a Senate committee voted 8-6 to advance the plan for the nearly $1billion stadium in downtown Minneapolis.

The committee's vote shoved aside -- at least for now -- an alternative plan to instead build the stadium in Ramsey County's Arden Hills. "I think it helped to have the commissioner here today," said Sen. Julie Rosen, R-Fairmont, the chief Senate author of the stadium legislation. "I feel very good."

Dayton began the day standing alongside Goodell and saying the state's top DFL and Republican leaders were committed to trying to pass a plan for a new Vikings stadium this spring.

"If all eight of us pull together, work together and are truly committed to passing this bill, it will pass," Dayton said after meeting with Goodell. "If we're not, if we don't work together, it won't."

House Speaker Kurt Zellers -- who has been at best lukewarm on the project -- predicted the proposal would get floor votes in both the House and Senate before the Legislature adjourns in the coming weeks.

Even Sen. Ray Vandeveer, R-Forest Lake, the Senate committee chair who voted against the project, conceded the stadium's chances have quickly improved. "They're better with every committee, because the bill becomes more well known and gets more refined," he said.

Simply pass an exemption like Hennepin County got for the Twins stadium. I really believe this is going to get done. Goodell and Rooney made it very plain there is no next year and the Vikings are gone if the legislature doesn't get it's chit together now.

We have seen this scenario before. There is a predictable outcome. Frankly this L.A. gambit by the league is tiresome, but it is effective.

I don't understand how it continues to work. If they were to break ground yesterday, there would be no place to play until 2014. And NO ONE is going to play in the Colisuem, Pasadena simply won't have even a temp NFL team and that's IT out here for facilities.

I don't think anyone in Minnesota (Fans, Owner, legislators, NFL) wants the Vikings to move to L.A., which means it will most likely get worked out.

Even though the owner says it wont happen, I still think Jacksonville will end up being the team that moves to L.A.

I don't understand how it continues to work. If they were to break ground yesterday, there would be no place to play until 2014. And NO ONE is going to play in the Colisuem, Pasadena simply won't have even a temp NFL team and that's IT out here for facilities.

Plus the area didn't even support the teams they once had. They say Atlanta is more of a college football than an NFL town, seems L.A. is the same. Substitute celebutards for the college football.

Sounds like it will at least get to the House floor for a vote now, but I'm still not convinced that the partisan politics won't end up killing this thing. The Republicans have enough of their share of the votes (32 votes from each party has been requested), but the Dems want the Republicans to put up even more votes because they know it is very unpopular with the conservative base, and as payback for what the Republicans did to them over the last stadium bill. At last count, the Democrats were willing to up no more than 10 votes for this (maybe that has changed over the last couple of days). There's no way that the Repbulicans can suddenly come up with another 22 votes on top of what they've already pledged.

Anyway, it's all a good step in the right direction, but still VERY far from over.

It looks as if there will be a full MN House vote today and a Senate vote tomorrow (Sunday). The bill for the stadium is still alive although it's passage to here has been a shambles, going through umpteen committees with countless proposed amendments, some designed to kill it. How the votes, if they happen, will go I have no idea. Most legislators are worried to death they will be booted out in November if they vote for it. The population of Minnesota could never be described as forward thinking or realistic.

I do know that if they don't pass it, the Vikes are almost certain to file notice of departure by the deadline which, IIRC, is next February.

It looks as if there will be a full MN House vote today and a Senate vote tomorrow (Sunday). The bill for the stadium is still alive although it's passage to here has been a shambles, going through umpteen committees with countless proposed amendments, some designed to kill it. How the votes, if they happen, will go I have no idea. Most legislators are worried to death they will be booted out in November if they vote for it. The population of Minnesota could never be described as forward thinking or realistic.

I do know that if they don't pass it, the Vikes are almost certain to file notice of departure by the deadline which, IIRC, is next February.

The NFL, I think specifically Art Rooney said the deadline would be waived in this case because the Vikings are playing without a lease. They could be playing in LA, Canada or any where else. The NFL has that leverage on their side.

No House vote Saturday and the whole thing is degenerating even more than it was before. The legislature here isn't fit to run a shoeshine stand, much less a state.

But would you trade them for Wisconsin politicians straight up???? talk about a trade of CHIPS AHOY! for CHIPS AHOY!.