[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2012 Vacation Thread

matt770

Let's hear what you've got planned. Destination, activities, etc.

It's been a while since we've gone anywhere really special. Lots of weekend trips but nothing exotic. Last trip outside the US was the Bahamas 3 years ago. For my birthday next weekend we rented a cabin in the north GA mountains, gonna grill out, relax in the hot tub, maybe rent a canoe and do some fishing. We're bringing the puppy and we're debating whether he would enjoy the canoe experience or go completely nuts. Anyway it should be a nice relaxing time.

With family obligations up north in June and July, not sure we'll get to take any more trips this year. Been a while since I've been to the gulf coast, really miss those beaches. Maybe we can sneak in a weekend in Destin after Labor Day.

Just got back from a cruise a few weeks ago, but I'm already itching to plan a vacation for early next year. I get to go to Vegas mid next week but that is for work so it will be half BS (although being in Vegas on an expense account can't be all bad). I think I'm going to use it as a scouting trip to take the wife out there for a weekend in the fall. :thinking: So nothing official, just some hopes. I'll have to see what I can get passed through management. :bash:

Edited by Square

Was going to go to Colorado Springs last summer but went with $8,000 in essential plumbing work instead. It was looking like we would be able to do Colorado Springs this summer. The condensor unit just went out on the AC.

We will hit Pt. Aransas again. I love it there but the idea of escaping the heat is appealing.

due to a wedding in new york, our travel plans for the year were significantly altered. we were going to do a tropical trip and i was going to do the annual huddle meet in vegas. now it's a 4 day weekend for just the mrs and i in mendocino and the trip to nyc (about 5 days)...no tropical...no vegas. at least i get next weekend off for my birthday and mother's day. will do a day in napa on sat (lunch at tre vigne). grilling on sun at home.

edit: we did get a nice family vacation to san diego at the end of march.

Edited by Bier Meister

:kicksrock:

+1

Having a couple kids and living away from family means the yearly vacation funds are dedicated to traveling to visit family. We never really get true "vacations". Though I think Disney has got to be done sometime in the next year.

Heading up to our normal Minnesota vacation the 2nd week of June. We go to the Brainerd lakes area, and have been going to the same resort since I was a kid. Completely peaceful. No TV, no computers, no phones. Great fishing.

Plus, both of my brothers will be there and other various family members. It's a great place. Heck, Savage has been there. He can vouch for it.

Have a motorcycle trip planned in Colorado and Wyoming in late June / early July. Trailer the bikes to CO (Avon about an hour west of Denver), and attend our clubs rally there for 4-5 days. Then ride up into WY and visit some of the parks (Dinosaur Monument, Flaming Gorge, Grand Tetons & Yellowstone). Have 3 full days allocated for Tetons and Yellowstone, and I know that still isn't much. Back through Cody (Beartooth Hwy & Chief Joseph Hwy) to CO and then load up and drive home across the flat lands. Two full weeks, with about 10 days of riding in some truly great areas.

due to a wedding in new york, our travel plans for the year were significantly altered. we were going to do a tropical trip and i was going to do the annual huddle meet in vegas. now it's a 4 day weekend for just the mrs and i in mendocino and the trip to nyc (about 5 days)...no tropical...no vegas. at least i get next weekend off for my birthday and mother's day. will do a day in napa on sat (lunch at tre vigne). grilling on sun at home.

oh..... if anyone is interested in a week in maui (1 bdr condo), throw a pm my way

January - Annual trip to Bandon Dunes

We do a lot of long weekend trips within driving distance. Started the year off by convincing my wife that spending a long weekend at a Central Oregon golf resort (that happened to have a spa) would be a good idea. Before she left, she asked us to book our return in the fall.....Success! Other than that, we've spent a couple weekends on the coast, heading to Walla Walla for their spring wine weekend (and golf) today, back to Central Oregon for a golf weekend in 2 weeks (different course - all of 5 miles away from the other).

Work got in the way last year, so we didn't make our drive to Wyoming to see family last summer, so it looks like we'll do that at the end of the summer.

In September I head to Scotland for 10 days of golf and scotch with a scottish friend of mine. I've been to Scotland a number of times, but going with a guy who grew up playing competitive golf there seems like a much better way to do it. Should be a blast.

In October, my wife and I are probably going to head to NYC for a few days. Due to work travel, I've built up so many miles / hotel points, so might as well use them.

In November (Thanksgiving) back to the golf resort mentioned earlier.

In Mid Aug I am leaving the Arizona Desert for an Alaska vacation. Doing one of those cruise ships for the first time. So flying into Seattle. On the way back looking at doing a couple of days in the Washington wine region.

The big vacation is behind us. We went to Mendoza, Argentina by way of Santiago, Chile at the end of February for 2 weeks.

Meeting a few other couples at our favorite cabin in the NC mountains for Memorial Day weekend and meeting up with some of my wife's family at the beach in July. That's all I know of so far, but there are bound to be a few other weekenders mixed in.

• Like 1

Big vacation is done - did England and Ireland in mid-March. Visited family, etc. and then got to do two nights in Dublin, without the kids, for St. Patrick;s Day. Tons of fun.

Doing a short trip to Vegas (Thursday night-Sunday morning) in July for my cousin;s 21st birthday, then of course opening weekend in Vegas with whichever Huddlers also make it out there.