[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tim Welk Blown Call

dfv87

Dodgers vs Rockies... Last out of 6th inning (5-3 put out) throw pulls 1B helton 3 feet from 1st base and welk gives him the arm pump ringer out signal... Absolutely, beyond a horrible call. Good thing he is a crew cheif and post season umpire.

I admit I think umpires should be perfect or close to it, which will never happen but the gross bad calls are unacceptable in this day and age...I just cannot get MLB and the umpires, they get to start arguments, escalate confrontations, and has bigger egos than Barry Bonds...

Dodgers vs Rockies... Last out of 6th inning (5-3 put out) throw pulls 1B helton 3 feet from 1st base and welk gives him the arm pump ringer out signal... Absolutely, beyond a horrible call. Good thing he is a crew cheif and post season umpire.

I admit I think umpires should be perfect or close to it, which will never happen but the gross bad calls are unacceptable in this day and age...I just cannot get MLB and the umpires, they get to start arguments, escalate confrontations, and has bigger egos than Barry Bonds...

It's nowhere near as bad as it was when they had a union and MLB had no control over who worked and who didn't.

Don't get me wrong, that was an unbelievable bed-poop by Welke, but look at the angle he's standing at when he makes the call. Probably wasn't looking at Helton's feet, but at his body. People make mistakes. Even umps.

Edited by godtomsatan

Dunno if it's just me, but seems like the blown calls on the "obvious" plays, such as you described are becoming way to frequent. And you're right, they get to start arguments, etc., but don't dare question a ball or strike or a balk call.

It's nowhere near as bad as it was when they had a union and MLB had no control over who worked and who didn't.

Don't get me wrong, that was an unbelievable bed-poop by Welke, but look at the angle he's standing at when he makes the call. Probably wasn't looking at Helton's feet, but at his body. People make mistakes. Even umps.

You're right about the angle. That's often the key, but sometimes doesn't matter to some umpires. Saw a play the other day, don't recall who was umpiring, Giants player hits the ball down the 1b line that went right over the bag, but landed foul. Supposed to be fair, but called foul. The umpire was in perfect position to make the call and still blew it.