[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Daughter going to college and needs a car...

Puddy

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd look at a certified pre-owned.

The last two cars I have purchased have been certified pre-owned and frankly, that is probably the route I will always go - you don't take such a massive hit on depreciation (sp?) and still get the piece of mind of a good warranty.

Regarding SUVs & gas mileage

I drive a Subaru Outback (2011 with 4cyl, and get 30MPG regularly. My commute is not city traffic, nor freeway driving, but more country type 2 lane roads with mostly 40-45MPH speed limit. I know they're expensive but the AWD and high clearance are great in winter. (Every Subaru is AWD, and even their sedans and smaller cars are good in winter.)

A couple other points - new car for a new driver, probably not a good idea, especially a lease with potential damage that you pay for on their terms. But understand wanting something reliable that doesn't strand her.

Giving an 18 year old a brand new car when she has never worked before looks like spoiling her to me.

That would be my first inclination too...but, IMO most kids are spoiled nowadays, when I consider my own upbringing. I had to work for everything I had other than food and shelter. If I wanted nicer clothes to keep up with the rich kids, I had to buy them myself. I couldn't afford the prom, so I didn't go. I'd really have to know this girl better to determine if a new car would spoil her.

Besides, she is a teenage girl that hasn't driven much. She's going to ding it up/wreck it anyways.

That was my concern with the lease also. I wonder if she's reckless and impulsive like many girls her age. A girl like that is up for anything, and taking care of dad's car is not going to be high on her list of priorities. Man, I'm glad I don't have a daughter.

That would be my first inclination too...but, IMO most kids are spoiled nowadays, when I consider my own upbringing. I had to work for everything I had other than food and shelter. If I wanted nicer clothes to keep up with the rich kids, I had to buy them myself. I couldn't afford the prom, so I didn't go. I'd really have to know this girl better to determine if a new car would spoil her.

That was my concern with the lease also. I wonder if she's reckless and impulsive like many girls her age. A girl like that is up for anything, and taking care of dad's car is not going to be high on her list of priorities. Man, I'm glad I don't have a daughter.

My niece who is 20 and in second year of college in CA got her mom's old Prius as a car. Its not as nice as the Lexus she was driving before (a coupe with V6, which was used when her folks bought it). While I was there visiting in the spring she had a little incident where she ran into a curb and the tire went flat. My brother (her dad) was pretty upset and claimed she was not paying attention and had similar problems before.

Take that for what its worth, she isn't spoiled really, but has also never really lacked any of the gadgets and toys that most middle class kids have/expect these days. I know not all kids are like that, and she is a good kid, but we all know that kids will sometimes take things for granted especially when they're not paying.

Maybe I missed something, but new car = higher insurance since you have to carry liability and collision. If you are really making her pay for the insurance, are you forcing her to take on more than she can afford on part-time?

Since the college is local, I wouldn't sweat the used car reliability too much. If she breaks down, it's not like she will be 300 miles away.

I'm with the cheaper used car people on this one. Might have to put a bit more maintenance into it, but lower ins. (consider just getting liability) cost for her, and lower cost to you.

Besides, she is a teenage girl that hasn't driven much. She's going to ding it up/wreck it anyways.

My brothers kids started driving in the past few years. he has a close friend that has a daughter the same age as my nephews. My bro bought the kids serviceable used cars. His friend went brand new. My bro said almost every kid that started driving, including his, has some minor accidents . Some slid on the ice and hit the curb , others rear ended the people in front of them and his buddies daughter unfortunately totalled hers (thank God she was ok). Puddy, the last thing in the world I want to do is put images in your head of your kid cracking up a car but usually at that age , you can probably expect some dings here and there. May be better to go used first . A safe car of course but nothing too pricy. Then when she graduates college put a big ass bow on a sweet ride for her. Good luck bro

Edited by whomper

I would look at a foreign car in the $2k-$3k range. As long as it's Honda, Mazda, Toyota, Hyundai you should be fine. Whatever you do, don't get a Chevy. My mother-in-law's Chevy Malibu just had the engine crap out at 99k miles. I have a Mazda Protege (my wife's old car) that I drive as a beater. It's got 150k miles on it and the engine is strong and it gets good gas mileage. No reason to spend anymore than $3k on a good reliable first car for your daughter. I'd also look on craigslist for a Toyota FJ62 - this is an automatic SUV that will last forever and will never give you problems. You can find them in the price range I mentioned if not just a tad more. These are great vehicles and she'll be good in the snow too. Obviously, these aren't as good with gas mileage.

My brothers kids started driving in the past few years. he has a close friend that has a daughter the same age as my nephews. My bro bought the kids serviceable used cars. His friend went brand new. My bro said almost every kid that started driving, including his, has some minor accidents . Some slid on the ice and hit the curb , others rear ended the people in front of them and his buddies daughter unfortunately totalled hers (thank God she was ok). Puddy, the last thing in the world I want to do is put images in your head of your kid cracking up a car but usually at that age , you can probably expect some dings here and there. May be better to go used first . A safe car of course but nothing too pricy. Then when she graduates college put a big ass bow on a sweet ride for her. Good luck bro

+1

Another reason to look for an old Land Cruiser (FJ62), imo. These things are tanks and will go anywhere and will run forever as long as you get the oil changed on time.

This is an FJ80 which is newer than the 62s. This would be a GREAT reliable car for your daughter and the whole family during the snowy season.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll figure something out soon. While the cheap lease seems like a good deal strictly from a financial standpoint some of the other points are making me lean away from it (accidents, higher insurance, spoiling her, etc.). My plan for the last year or so was to give her my Accord as I know it will last her for years (it has less than 60k miles on it), and maybe I should just do that. She'll be doing mostly city driving and I get around 20mpg (damn V6) in the city. It has more power than she needs but is very reliable and safe. It might be new car time for me. I'll have to think about it a little more.

Sounds good Pud. :tup: I'd just go grab a 2010 Accord with super low miles for you to drive for awhile. You won't lose much if you decide to sell it and buy the mid-life-crisis-mobile. :2cents:

All the kids I knew that had brand new cars in college didn't appreciate them for chit. They let other people drive them a lot (especially the chicks) and didn't really stay after things like maintenance.

If I decide to get the Mustang or Camaro, I'll be sure to stop by and pick up Furd and cruise Woodward looking for chicks. I know he digs the hell out of those cars...

Edited by Puddy

When I was growing up, the three girls in the family got the family hand me down cars and the 3 boys bought their own cars.

Puddy, you said that when she was in HS that she always got a ride home. Did she get home before you did? I'll bet the guys got in line to give her a ride home. Since she is still going to college locally, she might you know, still find ways to get around. :brow:

I'm not especially comfortable with innuendo surrounding my daughter who won't be 18 for 6 months.

I think Michigan's age of consent is 16, so as long as nobody takes any pictures, there shouldn't be anything to worry about legally.

I thought the 'rice burner' comment opened the door to all jokes regarding Asians. My bad. And you better believe I wouldn't buy you a new car as it would be wrecked within days.

Edited by Puddy