[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Daughter going to college and needs a car...

Puddy

When my daughter was in HS I bought her a used acura integra. She did well with that car until she decided she didn't want the expense of insurance and such so she gave it back to me. I sold it for a profit and gave her the money to buy herself a lap top computer.

Fast forward 6 years. She made it through all of undergrad and her first year of law school with no car. Problem is she is in Iowa City for law school and aside from living very near campus she needs a vehicle to get groceries and such. I had planned on getting her a Honda Fit but after we talked it over for a while she decided it would probably make more sense to send her back to Iowa in the 2001 VW Bug that I picked up for 500 bucks. We are going to put aside money for repairs if she has problems in Iowa where I can't fix it for her. When she graduates the car will still be worth at least the 500 I payed for it as long as it is still running. If it dies it will have just about payed for itself by getting her from New Orleans to Iowa City.

Puddy you are supposed to be the bean counter here and I think the above plan just schooled you!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When my daughter was in HS I bought her a used acura integra. She did well with that car until she decided she didn't want the expense of insurance and such so she gave it back to me. I sold it for a profit and gave her the money to buy herself a lap top computer.

Fast forward 6 years. She made it through all of undergrad and her first year of law school with no car. Problem is she is in Iowa City for law school and aside from living very near campus she needs a vehicle to get groceries and such. I had planned on getting her a Honda Fit but after we talked it over for a while she decided it would probably make more sense to send her back to Iowa in the 2001 VW Bug that I picked up for 500 bucks. We are going to put aside money for repairs if she has problems in Iowa where I can't fix it for her. When she graduates the car will still be worth at least the 500 I payed for it as long as it is still running. If it dies it will have just about payed for itself by getting her from New Orleans to Iowa City.

Puddy you are supposed to be the bean counter here and I think the above plan just schooled you!

:lol: holy chit bombs away, this could be worse then preyin on Puds daughter :pop:

Maybe I missed something, but new car = higher insurance since you have to carry liability and collision. If you are really making her pay for the insurance, are you forcing her to take on more than she can afford on part-time?

Since the college is local, I wouldn't sweat the used car reliability too much. If she breaks down, it's not like she will be 300 miles away.

I'm with the cheaper used car people on this one. Might have to put a bit more maintenance into it, but lower ins. (consider just getting liability) cost for her, and lower cost to you.

Good advice here, IMO.

Sorry for opening the door.

My apologies Puddy.

But, admittedly, we'd probably do the same to any regular. All in jest, my friend.

It doesn't really bother me but I have to admit I'm surprised it even got under my skin a little bit because I know it's just in fun. Weird how that can happen. Now time to go car shopping!

Same deal with my stepson. Bought him a 2001 Ford Ranger Ext cab. 116,000 miles, 2 owners all receipts as a combo Grad/18th Birthday persent. Checked by our mechanic and runs like top. Should be good to go for at least to his early 20's and cost me $2100 after all was said and done. We own it, no payments, lower insurance, less loss if and when he crashes or dings it. It is a first car, he is lucky, yet very grateful he got this for a first car. Happy as a clam in hightide, though it presently sits in my driveway waiting for him to come up with insurance money etc. as prom, HS Graduation etc. has set us both back a bit.

My daughter is the oldest in the family. She really didn't want the hassle of a vehicle when she was in school. We drove her back the 45 or 50 miles or so on Sunday nights. I listened to a lot of football games on the radio. When she got her first job further away in Wisconsin, we got her a new Toyota Corolla. That was about a year or two before they had any recalls but we all felt it was a safe maintenance free car for her.

This is perfect! Not everyone can find deals like this, so $2,500-3k is a great compromise. More than 3k is spoiling her and costing more money than needed. If your Accord is worth more than 3k, sell it, buy a cheap car and use the rest on flowers for the wife. Or trade it in on a new car for you.

I'd look for a pre-owned Hyundai Elantra. I bought one at 80K and I ran it until close to 200K miles. It still ran great at the end, just needed some body work that wasn't worth it. I bought a new one two years ago and have put 52K on it already. I haven't had any problems. None. Most reliable car I've ever owned, and I get about 34 mpg driving 70 miles a day in the Northeast. Find a 4 or 5 year old one used and she couldn't possibly kill it.

haven't read the whole thread, but i am not a fan of a lease unless you can write it off for tax purposes.

if i were in your position, i would just buy her an older car for about $5-$6K. get her something safe that will run for about five more years. Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, Subaru outback, or something like that. Just my .02

Well this didn't go exactly as planned. My daughter has my Accord but I don't have a mid-life crisis car. However, my wife has a new Durango and I'll be driving her old car. :wacko:

:rofl:

Puddy, do you like to party? Come on over and let me see what you got on under that skirt, sugar...

Edited by SEC=UGA

I suspect female logic is to blame for this.

You are giving too much credit by calling it logic, more like rationalization. My wife wants a new vehicle and wants to give hers to me and get rid of my SUV. Well, I have been dragging my feet for 2 years. Cars are paid off and even though mine is 12 years old, it is still shiny and without any issue as is hers. She just wants a new one, hence her rationalization! Grrrrrrrr