[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The NY soda law

detlef

I haven't read this whole thread, but I can tell you what I would advocate. and that is "what I eat or drink is none of your f*cking business."

Libertarianism: the radical notion that other people are not your property. you and any other food puritans out there should look into it sometime.

seriously, if we as a society really start parsing out what other people should or should not put in their mouths in the interest of "the public health", it's pretty logical that booze has to be one of the first things to go. I would think it's pretty clearly in your personal and professional interest to recoil like hell from this sort of nonsense. or do you actually trust the 21st century temperance movement to waltz right up to the point where you'd like them to draw the line but stop right there and go no further?

I'm certainly not going to fault you for not reading the whole thread, that's for sure. But, had you done so, you wouldn't have bothered bringing up most of what you said, because I've already addressed those several times over.

Honestly, at least you admit to not having followed the therad and are just jumping in. Many others have posted throughout and just pretend that I'm saying things I'm not when they raise arguments like you just did.

I'm certainly not going to fault you for not reading the whole thread, that's for sure. But, had you done so, you wouldn't have bothered bringing up most of what you said, because I've already addressed those several times over.

Honestly, at least you admit to not having followed the therad and are just jumping in. Many others have posted throughout and just pretend that I'm saying things I'm not when they raise arguments like you just did.

yeah I just read the first and last page of the thread. I'm sure your bullchit got much more nuanced and intricate in between. :)

• 7 months later...

Law goes into affect March 12. Was reading some about it today, and saw that soda's larger than 16oz in convenience stores are NOT included in the ban. So somehow those sodas are better for you than the ones in a restaurant. I can understand not counting a 2L bottle of soda at the grocery store, since you generally consume those later, and they're not bought to drink all at once. But the last report I read also said the 2L bottle of soda delivered with your pizza is banned as well. The pizza shops have to switch to selling packages of cans/bottles (no larger than 16oz each). A quote from the article I was reading

"It’s ludicrous,” said Robert Bookman, a lawyer for the New York City Hospitality Alliance. “It’s a sealed bottle of soda you can buy in the supermarket. Why can’t they deliver what you can get in the supermarket?”

Hmm, also see that pitchers of soda will no longer be allowed, didn't think of that one before.

Just a stupid law. The intent may be good, but the execution is horrible and severely flawed.

Didn't even think about this, one place noted they'll have to buy new glasses as the ones they use were 20oz, and those are now against the law.

Law goes into affect March 12. Was reading some about it today, and saw that soda's larger than 16oz in convenience stores are NOT included in the ban. So somehow those sodas are better for you than the ones in a restaurant. I can understand not counting a 2L bottle of soda at the grocery store, since you generally consume those later, and they're not bought to drink all at once. But the last report I read also said the 2L bottle of soda delivered with your pizza is banned as well. The pizza shops have to switch to selling packages of cans/bottles (no larger than 16oz each). A quote from the article I was reading

"It’s ludicrous,” said Robert Bookman, a lawyer for the New York City Hospitality Alliance. “It’s a sealed bottle of soda you can buy in the supermarket. Why can’t they deliver what you can get in the supermarket?”

Hmm, also see that pitchers of soda will no longer be allowed, didn't think of that one before.

Just a stupid law. The intent may be good, but the execution is horrible and severely flawed.

Didn't even think about this, one place noted they'll have to buy new glasses as the ones they use were 20oz, and those are now against the law.

but you can buy pitchers of beer!

but you can buy pitchers of beer!

So, pitchers of soda are banned because of the potential to drink a pitcher in one sitting, but you can buy a pitcher of beer? So allowing a consumer to buy a pitcher of beer, the government is saying they assume you will drink it in one sitting, but go ahead?

My head hurts.

• 2 weeks later...

Of course Bloomberg will fight it. https://twitter.com/NYCMayorsOffice/status/311200427066683393 The majority of response to that are "let it go, stop wasting money".

I was reading about this on another forum and somebody asked if sporting events were subject to the same limits, and the response was yes. The reasoning given (from a person in NY), was interesting.

"What it comes down to is whether the establishment receives a letter grade from the city, i.e. whether it is under the purview of the city health department. The only reason that grocery stores and convenience stores were exempted is because the state health department has that authority, not the city, and the state didn't want to go along with the ban. I found this out a couple of days ago from an article I read, and before that, I had no idea why it didn't apply everywhere."

So basically the ban only applies to places where NYC has authority. It isn't that they think buying a 2L soda (over 60 oz) at the grocery or convenience store is ok, its that they have no authority there and the state of NY had more common sense (didn't go along with their law).

• 4 months later...

Appeals court upholds ruling striking down the NY large soda ban law

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/07/30/19775899-court-upholds-ruling-striking-down-nycs-ban-on-large-sugary-drinks?lite

I love this piece of the article

"Since New York City's ground-breaking limit on the portion size of sugary beverages was prevented from going into effect on March 12th, more than 2,000 New Yorkers have died from the effects of diabetes," Bloomberg said Tuesday in a statement.

Yeah so? And your ban on large soda would save how many of those lives, and reduce diabetes rates by how much? I'm sure that mayor mchealthcontrol would claim all sorts of numbers for those, even though there's no proof the ban would help.

Then there's this

Bloomberg has had mixed results with his health efforts. A recent study found displaying calorie counts don't necessarily encourage consumers to choose lower-calorie options.

Just like listing calorie counts has little or no impact on what people choose to drink, limiting the maximum soda size is going to have ltitle if any impact on how much soda people consume. People have poor eating habits, you cannot pass laws to fix that.

• 4 weeks later...

So, pitchers of soda are banned because of the potential to drink a pitcher in one sitting, but you can buy a pitcher of beer? So allowing a consumer to buy a pitcher of beer, the government is saying they assume you will drink it in one sitting, but go ahead?

My head hurts.

A lot of places don't allow you to buy a pitcher of beer if you're by yourself. I've tried this a lot.