[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Grilling elk meat

montster

I have a 6-pound piece of wild elk meat, from a huge elk my father-in-law bagged a few months ago. I don't know what kind of cut it is, but I have to believe it's pretty good, because he wouldn't give us a crappy cut. :unsure: I'd like to cook it in the Egg, but I've never grilled elk. Should I brine it? I hadn't planned on doing anything more than salt, pepper and a little olive oil, and maybe put a drip pan of water underneath during the cook. I had planned on doing it at a low temp, under 250, for some hours, and pulling it at about an internal temp of 130. Any other recommendations?

I've never cooked elk but I assume it's very similar to venison (whitetail) in which case I'd season well with olive oil salt and pepper and sear it over a hot grill to medium rare. Not sure low and slow is the way to go here unless maybe you have a chunk of shoulder..

Good info here.

I get about 15-20 pounds of various cuts of elk a year from my brother.

I also marinate it first, depending on the cut and who the meal is for. Some people don't appreciate the natural flavor of elk.

Yep, I've cooked a tenderloin before and just used the same marinade I would for a steak. Everyone agreed it might have been the best piece of meet they've eaten.

It's pretty hard to screw up a tenderloin, but other Elk I've had had more of a roast taste/texture to it (for lack of a better comparison), and so I agree would likely require a different method.

if your a MARSHMELLOW you need a marinade. if not the stuff tastes better than beef, all grass all yummy. just be sure not to over cook!!!! rare is how i do it but if you like you can get away with medium to rare. if you cook it all the way through it will be tough, there is no fat in that stuff.

if your a MARSHMELLOW you need a marinade. if not the stuff tastes better than beef, all grass all yummy. just be sure not to over cook!!!! rare is how i do it but if you like you can get away with medium to rare. if you cook it all the way through it will be tough, there is no fat in that stuff.

I cut it into six thick steaks, put salt and pepper on it and wrapped it in bacon. Seared at about 550 on both sides and cooked it at about 450 for 10 minutes or so. Perfectly medium rare. There were eight adults and no one had had elk before. Everyone said it tasted like lean steak. I would've liked to have some sort of sauce to compliment it, but overall it was successful. No gamey taste, not dried out and everyone liked it. :tup: