[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

HS teacher to grads: "you are not special"

BeeR

I didn't read the article.

But, they aren't. They're just a bunch of government educated morons who think they have accomplished something after being indoctrinated for the past twelve to fourteen years.

I didn't read the article.

But, they aren't. They're just a bunch of government educated morons who think they have accomplished something after being indoctrinated for the past twelve to fourteen years.

and you were educated where?

Borge,

Should experience give more or less credence to my assertion?

Depends on the experience. If you were(are) an educator then I would say more, otherwise I'd lean to less unless you have a large number of people you work with or know that might skew your opinion.

I stopped reading after a bit. Dude just sounds bitter.

He's not bitter. There's a video of the speech at the bottom of the screen if your attention span wanes that quickly; although, I will warn you that the speech encourages you to read. Listening to the speech and the audience response, you will see the tone of it is not bitter at all, but it's meant to be uplifting.

Edited by electricrelish
  • Like 1

I have a pretty cool album that has some Utah Phillips spoken word where Ani Difranco came behind and laid musical tracks beneath it. In one of the "songs" he discusses when someone was foolish enough to invite him to address some graduates.

"You're about to be told that you are America's most valuable natural resource. HAVE YOU SEEN WHAT THEY DO TO NATURAL RESOURCES?! RUN FOR THE HILLS!" :lol:

Oh, and that speech was outstanding.

Edited by detlef

Speech was spot on. Times and attitudes have gone from "what can I earn" to "what I deserve". Pathetic really, and not such a great outlook for the future when these glad handers are trying to run things

Next speech will be this...

"I know that some of you today think that big things are ahead of you. You couldn't be more wrong! You guys are nothin. In fact, please line up at the end of the program so I can shoot you all in the head. I just wish that it would be worth the effort to clean your brains off the sidewalk but you people are too pathetic to care about that." .

Seems like each speech will need to escalate to get the same shock factor.

:brow: