[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Justifiable Homicide?

SEC=UGA

So, let me run this by you as I think I actually may be changing my mind about justifiable homicide. What better way to get everyone in the "grab yer torch" mentality then by accusing someone of the most horrific of horrific acts, sexually abusing a young child. Just look at the responses here, they're overwhelmingly one-sided. But knowing that, what better way to justify a murder and keep yourself from being charged than by saying the person you killed was sexually abusing your child? That person isn't around to defend himself anymore. So what if it didn't happen and the guy murdered him for a different reason and then says he was molesting his daughter? Now, if there's physical evidence or eyewitnesses or security footage that backs up the claim of sexual abuse, then I say "hell yes" to the justifiable homicide, but if not, I think I may have a problem with it.

Thoughts?

So, let me run this by you as I think I actually may be changing my mind about justifiable homicide. What better way to get everyone in the "grab yer torch" mentality then by accusing someone of the most horrific of horrific acts, sexually abusing a young child. Just look at the responses here, they're overwhelmingly one-sided. But knowing that, what better way to justify a murder and keep yourself from being charged than by saying the person you killed was sexually abusing your child? That person isn't around to defend himself anymore. So what if it didn't happen and the guy murdered him for a different reason and then says he was molesting his daughter? Now, if there's physical evidence or eyewitnesses or security footage that backs up the claim of sexual abuse, then I say "hell yes" to the justifiable homicide, but if not, I think I may have a problem with it.

Thoughts?

That was my wife's first thought.

I was under the impression from the article that the girl was examined and the sexual assault was confirmed. Now could the other guy have walked in, caught dad raping his own kid then got beaten to death by the Dad? I guess anything is possible but logistically, I would think the guy not actively raping a 4 year old girl would have the advantage in a fist fight .

Thoughts?

Interesting twist.

I personally don't think its justified under our laws, as once he pulls the guy off and starts beating him he becomes the agressor. The law doesn't allow us to be judge, jury and executioner. The laws allow us to protect ourselves, and others (and sometimes our property) with deadly force.

Does a child molestor deserve to die, sure, but not without a trial. :putsonflameretardantsuit:

i'm not going to flame you, just point out that you're wrong.

If you pull a violent person off of their victim, how do you figure that it's 'over'? It's more likely that they take the opportunity to kill you and then kill your daughter. To me, it's over when the attacker is physically unable to cause harm. Dead seems like a safe enough assumption that he can't continue harm... anything short of that, you're risking continued harm against your daughter.

So if somebody walks up to you and takes a swing at you, you're justified in killing them? Afterall they were violent and might kill you if you don't kill them first.

Would it be different if the father pulled a gun and shot him? Are we saying its justified because he didn't mean to kill him? And was only trying to beat him up. You don't think at some point during the beating the person wasn't unconcious or otherwise subdued and could be safely tied up and call the police? Or are you just in favor of vigilante style justice and think the laws should support it?

It bothers me how some people in society are so quick to judge something as justified when there could be a lot more going on. Was George Zimmerman justified?

i'm not going to flame you, just point out that you're wrong.

If you pull a violent person off of their victim, how do you figure that it's 'over'? It's more likely that they take the opportunity to kill you and then kill your daughter. To me, it's over when the attacker is physically unable to cause harm. Dead seems like a safe enough assumption that he can't continue harm... anything short of that, you're risking continued harm against your daughter.

Further, unless it's like Con Air and your fists are considered deadly weapons from Marine training, then it's not homicide... It's manslaughter at best for beating someone to the point that they died, particularly if it can be proven that he was sexually assaulting the daughter who could not protect herself, and necessitated some sort of action.

It might be a bit different if he saw it happen, and then decided to go get his gun, but (again assuming the sexual assault can be shown), I don't think there's a jury out there that's even going to convict him on manslaughter for beating him to the point to where he died. Not only is it most likely justified under the law, but it clearly wasn't premeditated or necessarily intentional to kill him. It was a matter of self-defense, which includes protecting your family.

So if somebody walks up to you and takes a swing at you, you're justified in killing them? Afterall they were violent and might kill you if you don't kill them first.

Would it be different if the father pulled a gun and shot him? Are we saying its justified because he didn't mean to kill him? And was only trying to beat him up. You don't think at some point during the beating the person wasn't unconcious or otherwise subdued and could be safely tied up and call the police? Or are you just in favor of vigilante style justice and think the laws should support it?

It bothers me how some people in society are so quick to judge something as justified when there could be a lot more going on. Was George Zimmerman justified?

If someone is on your property, and there is an immediate threat to yours or your family's safety, then yes, you're even within your rights to shoot him in most places... But yes, either way, I think it does hinge on it being able to be reasonably shown that he was acting to protect his daughter, and yes, I think that the fact that he used his fists in a manner that wouldn't necessarily kill the guy only makes his claim of innocence stronger.

This is really idiotic... sorry.

If someone takes a swing at you, they don't risk going to jail for the rest of their lives and being beaten and raped by Bubba and the Gang until they can't walk. That's what hopefully awaits a child molester if they are caught and convicted. If you catch a guy raping your 4 year old, there's a good chance he is going to do whatever he can to avoid the consequences of those actions. You don't just pull they guy off your daughter and send him off with a finger wagging and a stern warning. You physically incapacitate that slime... and if he happens to die in that process, so be it.

• Like 1

This is really idiotic... sorry.

If someone takes a swing at you, they don't risk going to jail for the rest of their lives and being beaten and raped by Bubba and the Gang until they can't walk. That's what hopefully awaits a child molester if they are caught and convicted. If you catch a guy raping your 4 year old, there's a good chance he is going to do whatever he can to avoid the consequences of those actions. You don't just pull they guy off your daughter and send him off with a finger wagging and a stern warning. You physically incapacitate that slime... and if he happens to die in that process, so be it.

I never said he should be pulled off and let go with a warning. Geez, talk about twisting my words.

At some point during that beating the deceased was probably knocked out, and not fighting back. At that point the father should have tied him up, called police and taken care of his daughter (while keeping an eye on this guy).

I resisted making a comment initially because I knew some would twist my words to make me sound like I'm defending the guy who was raping his daughter. But I'm not, I'm simply saying "No I don't think you're justifiied in beating somebody to death, when you probably had the guy under control before that happened."

What if this was his 15, 16 or 18 year old daughter having sex with somebody. Or his wife. (And we cannot assume it is really rape in these cases.) Is he still justified?

There's a difference between "I would have done the same thing" and "its right, legal, or justified"