[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Computer help please

whomper

I read detlefs thread about the model on the plane. I went to google to see what she looked like , clicked a picture and my antivirus fired up. It seems I caught and quarantined whatever it was but the problem is now every 2 minutes I am getting a message like below that keeps popping up. Its a notification. How do I stop these notifications ?

Scan type: Auto-Protect Scan

Event: Security Risk Found!

Security risk detected: Trojan Horse

File: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\{50a18e58-0dd5-34cb-31ac-9ba1b2499055}\U\800000cb.@

Computer: MTPC25

User: SYSTEM

Action taken: Quarantine succeeded : Access denied

Date found: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 8:58:30 AM

Scan type: Auto-Protect Scan

Event: Risk Found!

Security risk detected: Trojan.Zeroaccess.B

File: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\{50a18e58-0dd5-34cb-31ac-9ba1b2499055}\U\80000000.@

Location: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\{50a18e58-0dd5-34cb-31ac-9ba1b2499055}\U

Computer: MTPC25

User: SYSTEM

Action taken: Pending Side Effects Analysis : Access denied

Date found: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 9:02:12 AM

Are you sure that it's your anti-virus software popping up & not the virus itself? You'll want to go into you anti-virus program & run a full system scan just to be safe. Then you should be able to delete it no problem. I've seen viruses mimic an anti-virus program before.

Are you sure that it's your anti-virus software popping up & not the virus itself? You'll want to go into you anti-virus program & run a full system scan just to be safe. Then you should be able to delete it no problem. I've seen viruses mimic an anti-virus program before.

and CN. I did go to my antivirus and ran a full scan. It showed things that it caught and those items were quarantined but I still keep getting the notifications

I had something one time that wouldn't go away like that and ended up doing a system restore which seemed to eventually fix it. It will roll all your settings back to a certain time. Not sure if you could lose any files etc created after that time so if you try that be careful. I'm sure the computer expurts can better explain.

and CN. I did go to my antivirus and ran a full scan. It showed things that it caught and those items were quarantined but I still keep getting the notifications

When I have encountered issues like this I have found that rebooting into safe mode and running the scan is more successful. Also, as H1 suggested using another tool to run a scan is not a bad idea.

Run Malwarebytes anti-malware program.

+1 but also in Safe Mode.

I had something one time that wouldn't go away like that and ended up doing a system restore which seemed to eventually fix it. It will roll all your settings back to a certain time. Not sure if you could lose any files etc created after that time so if you try that be careful. I'm sure the computer expurts can better explain.

Try the other stuff before a Restore.

You won't lose any files, but you will lose any prog installs, which is the main purpose of Restore.

Trojans are not viruses, and they are very difficult to remove. I have spent more time trying to remove a Trojan than it would take me to rebuild the system. I recommend that you copy your data to an external drive and format your drive and re-install Windows. This solution may seem extreme, but it has always taken me longer to try and really remove a Trojan considering how well it buries itself in the registry, etc.

I found a setting option where I can end the notifications if something is detected . Too risky ? Our system autoscans once a week

I think that the real lesson learned here is to never trust a model that Det meets on a plane. They are always full of viruses.

....and penicillin won't kill those.