[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ryan Mathews, not tough enough?

Not sure why a guy can't work his legs and cardio while recovering from a broken collar bone, but there must be some good reason.

I see the biggest issue besides the obvious missing 4 to 6 weeks to allow the bone to set sufficiently is that missing all this camp time will require another 3 weeks beyond that to get in football shape. Remember, per the new CBA full contact practices are extremely limited during the regular season. Barring any further complications, it could very well be week 6 or 7 before he's 100% and ready to carry a full load.

Collarbones are extremely easy to re-aggravate.

Romo missed 10 weeks in 2010. Charles Rogers missed the season twice with broken collarbones.

I wouldn't draft him at all.

Edited by CaptainHook

Not sure why a guy can't work his legs and cardio while recovering from a broken collar bone, but there must be some good reason.

I would imagine that running is basically out as the jostling would seem excrutiating. So, that pretty much leaves it to things like a stationary bike. Which, while effective for guys like us to keep our beer bellies in check, it nowhere near enough to keep someone ready to make the sort of explosive moves a RB would need to make.

As far as training his legs, I would imagine squats are pretty much ruled out (because the weight sits on your shoulders), and those are generally recognized as the be-all, end-all for working your legs. Of course, doing very high reps of un-weighted squats is a tough workout in and of itself, so there's that.

Certainly, assuming that even heavy breathing doesn't also hurt like hell, riding a stationary bike and un-weighted squats are better than nothing at all, but you have to think he'd be losing ground, fitness-wise, if that was the extent of what he could do.

I see lots and lots of pool work and light sand work in his immediate future.

Add resistance training and weight room work. I just don't see losing muscle tone or cardiovascular endurance as any kind of major challenges that would set him back further.

First Richardson, Now Mathews. This is kinda getting ridiculous how thin first round RB's are getting. Feels like if you have a top 3 pick your going to have such a big advantage over everyone else.

What kind of a$$ hat do you have to wear to challenge a man's toughness over a BROKEN BONE!! You should be ashamed of yourselves!

You can make the case that he suffers from the injury bug, has bad luck, etc. Go to the "He could be the next Fred Taylor" comparison, but his toughness? What should he do, cut his frigging arm off and get back on the field?

As a Bolt fan, yeah, I'm disappointed. As a person reading this BS from a bunch of wannabe couch potatoes disgusts me.

First Richardson, Now Mathews. This is kinda getting ridiculous how thin first round RB's are getting. Feels like if you have a top 3 pick your going to have such a big advantage over everyone else.

May be a blessing. It seems like it's often about 3-4 and then the rest at RB, only the next batch seems enticing enough to warrant a high pick regardless, so they make their way into the first round and someone ends up taking Shaun Alexander after he was basically done at pick 6 or 7 and ends up wasting a pick.

At least now, you can just say, "screw it" and grab a WR or stud QB and know you're getting out of the first round with a guy you can count on.

BTW

I myself have made the "Fragile Fred" comparison and do realize that most of the posts are conjecture about rehab and time frame. But, it kills me when the bone heads (you know who you are) start this about any player. Not just one of "my Boltz". Unless you played beyond you glory days under Friday Night Lights, leave the toughness rants to the big boys.

(Yes, this stock a nerve). :boxing::oops:

What kind of a$$ hat do you have to wear to challenge a man's toughness over a BROKEN BONE!! You should be ashamed of yourselves!

You can make the case that he suffers from the injury bug, has bad luck, etc. Go to the "He could be the next Fred Taylor" comparison, but his toughness? What should he do, cut his frigging arm off and get back on the field?

As a Bolt fan, yeah, I'm disappointed. As a person reading this BS from a bunch of wannabe couch potatoes disgusts me.

Hey, I recent that! I AM a couch potato.

BTW

I myself have made the "Fragile Fred" comparison and do realize that most of the posts are conjecture about rehab and time frame. But, it kills me when the bone heads (you know who you are) start this about any player. Not just one of "my Boltz". Unless you played beyond you glory days under Friday Night Lights, leave the toughness rants to the big boys.

(Yes, this stock a nerve). :boxing::oops:

Well, in fairness, this thread was started (and titled) long before the broken bone and, for the most part, I only see people lamenting his status and the effect it has on drafts.

This. I just got the 5th pick in one of my locals & was probably going to take him. Not anymore.

This is why I said 2/10 would not draft before the collarbone thing came out, not blind luck lol.

May be a blessing. It seems like it's often about 3-4 and then the rest at RB, only the next batch seems enticing enough to warrant a high pick regardless, so they make their way into the first round and someone ends up taking Shaun Alexander after he was basically done at pick 6 or 7 and ends up wasting a pick.

At least now, you can just say, "screw it" and grab a WR or stud QB and know you're getting out of the first round with a guy you can count on.

the thing is other than Calvin there really aren't any stud WR's. Are we going to be seeing Julio Jones go in the first round now?

May be a blessing.

Not that I was planning on drafting him, but I think this is fairly accurate. This is going to save a lot people from drafting him higher than they should have.

Edited by nelsosi

the thing is other than Calvin there really aren't any stud WR's. Are we going to be seeing Julio Jones go in the first round now?

I think every first round will have the following before a 2nd WR:

Foster, Rice, McCoy, MJD, Chris Johnson

Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Newton

Calvin Johnson

Gronkowski, Graham

That's 12. Then I would expect Run-DMC, Forte to go off and then Fitz or Julio as the 2nd wr

My point is simply this. We were talking ourselves into making guys like Mathews and Richardson into first round picks and both had huge question marks around them. Given Mathews track record, many are correctly arguing that what just happened simply saved them from having it happen after they used a top 5 pick on him. With Richardson, we were all gleefully ignoring that he was going to be a RB on a team that pretty much always sucks, which can certainly put a cap on potential.

Now, you're going to have to settle for taking a QB who is almost assuredly going to get at least 4500 and 35 or WRs with either track records of being among the best at their position or coming off outstanding rookie years.

Not that I was planning on drafting him, but I think this is fairly accurate. This is going to save a lot people from drafting him higher than they should have.

As you said...but It's only a blessing if you planned on drafting them early. I was really hoping someone else would take Trent and Mathews in Round 1, now nobody will. :furious:

As you said...but It's only a blessing if you planned on drafting them early. I was really hoping someone else would take Trent and Mathews in Round 1, now nobody will. :furious:

Well, there's that. Sort of like Vick getting a boo boo. A guy who I really had little intention of drafting reminds everyone who may have that he's prone to that.

So true.

Edited by nelsosi

This is getting to be my same thought as well. There is an ever growing divide between the top 3 and the rest. And you could just about take the next 6 or 8 backs and draw their name from a hat.