[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ryan Mathews, not tough enough?

I always knew he was weak in the collarbone

LoL! However, I saw how highly most places had him ranked and understood why because of opportunity but I just had this bad gut feeling about him. I'm so glad I passed on him in my 1st draft.

LoL! However, I saw how highly most places had him ranked and understood why because of opportunity but I just had this bad gut feeling about him. I'm so glad I passed on him in my 1st draft.

Obviously he has the appropriate skill set to be a feature back, but questions about durability, ball security, physical toughness, mental toughness, and preparation made him a very risky first rounder. People were more interested in the fact that Tolbert was gone and now Mathews wouldn't lose touches. In reality, Mathews never should have lost touches to an undrafted free agent and in fact wouldn't have if he had the make up to be a feature back but he didn't. Looks like all the lemmings got an early gift as his DNA let him down again :thinking:

So where does Mathews get drafted now? Could be a steal if he falls far enough and is back by week 3-4 (barring another injury of course).

Wait a minute... is he out until week 3 or 4 of the regular season, or is he out for 3 to 4 weeks starting right now? :thinking:

Wait a minute... is he out until week 3 or 4 of the regular season, or is he out for 3 to 4 weeks starting right now? :thinking:

I believe it is starting now, so he will be back for the start of the season. But he will miss all of camp and the practice and conditiong that goes with it. I think most feel that puts him a week or two behind where he'd be otherwise. Then if maybe he's 1-2 weeks behind his rehab schedule, that could be week 4-5 before he is in prime condition.

Not an issue for me, we're in a keeper league and he will be protected for sure.

I believe it is starting now, so he will be back for the start of the season. But he will miss all of camp and the practice and conditiong that goes with it. I think most feel that puts him a week or two behind where he'd be otherwise. Then if maybe he's 1-2 weeks behind his rehab schedule, that could be week 4-5 before he is in prime condition.

Not an issue for me, we're in a keeper league and he will be protected for sure.

I find it really hard to believe that he'll be ready for the season at all. He'll have surgery to repair the clavicle which will require at least 4-6 weeks to heal (I think more). 4-6 weeks from now is mid-September and possibly closing in on October. Then he comes back to not kick FGs and extra points but to play RB. Can't you envision him re-injuring the same clavicle? I can. I'm sure there is a point in every draft where taking him will be a value, maybe after getting your first 2 RBs or a Top QB, Top RB and Top WR. So 4th round? And he'll be gone by then for sure in most if not all drafts.

Edited by irish

Drafting this guy is just asking for a headache. No thank you, no way.

Agreed and I felt that way prior to him getting injured. Now, it's just been confirmed.

I find it really hard to believe that he'll be ready for the season at all. He'll have surgery to repair the clavicle which will require at least 4-6 weeks to heal (I think more). 4-6 weeks from now is mid-September and possibly closing in on October. Then he comes back to not kick FGs and extra points but to play RB. Can't you envision him re-injuring the same clavicle? I can. I'm sure there is a point in every draft where taking him will be a value, maybe after getting your first 2 RBs or a Top QB, Top RB and Top WR. So 4th round? And he'll be gone by then for sure in most if not all drafts.

I think what I stated earlier is when you'll see Mathews getting drafted. News today is saying that he'll need a full 6 weeks to heal up and that they're looking at week 4 against the Chiefs for him to return. That's September 30.

I see the biggest issue besides the obvious missing 4 to 6 weeks to allow the bone to set sufficiently is that missing all this camp time will require another 3 weeks beyond that to get in football shape. Remember, per the new CBA full contact practices are extremely limited during the regular season. Barring any further complications, it could very well be week 6 or 7 before he's 100% and ready to carry a full load.

A week 6 return is a very real possibility. Since the Chargers have a week 7 bye, we may also not see him on the field until week 8.

What kind of a$$ hat do you have to wear to challenge a man's toughness over a BROKEN BONE!! You should be ashamed of yourselves!

You can make the case that he suffers from the injury bug, has bad luck, etc. Go to the "He could be the next Fred Taylor" comparison, but his toughness? What should he do, cut his frigging arm off and get back on the field?

As a Bolt fan, yeah, I'm disappointed. As a person reading this BS from a bunch of wannabe couch potatoes disgusts me.

Hey, I recent that! I AM a couch potato.

:lol:

A week 6 return is a very real possibility. Since the Chargers have a week 7 bye, we may also not see him on the field until week 8.

Bingo - this is exactly what's going to happen. That's 6-7 weeks of FFL production at who knows what level. Why would you want to put up with that headache?

Thing is, how the heck are the Chargers going to tolerate a putrid run game for that long? You've got to be kidding me with Ronnie Brown.

Thing is, how the heck are the Chargers going to tolerate a putrid run game for that long? You've got to be kidding me with Ronnie Brown.

That's why I have zero interest in him. I don't have any drafts soon, but I agree that there's no way they are idle replacing him, and then you get the recovery, plus injury risk all over again, plus new competition added. 10th round flier maybe, but no sooner.

Bingo - this is exactly what's going to happen. That's 6-7 weeks of FFL production at who knows what level. Why would you want to put up with that headache?

Bingo - By the time he makes it back onto the field the year for the Chargers may already be in jeopardy.

I have to believe he doesn't play until Week #8 after their bye....if it'll take until Week #6 anyway and their bye is Week #7 and you (San Diego) played without him for that long anyway (good or bad) no need to rush him back when he can get 2 more weeks to heal and strengthen...so the question becomes can your FF team survive that long without him especially if he costs you a 2nd or 3rd round pick? Don't think I can roll them dice.

If you can afford to wait for him to come back and you aren't buried in your league yet by the time he can play...well you could be golden.

KO'd

Edited by KOKIDKOKID

I have to believe he doesn't play until Week #8 after their bye....if it'll take until Week #6 anyway and their bye is Week #7 and you (San Diego) played without him for that long anyway (good or bad) no need to rush him back when he can get 2 more weeks to heal and strengthen...so the question becomes can your FF team survive that long without him especially if he costs you a 2nd or 3rd round pick? Don't think I can roll them dice.

If you can afford to wait for him to come back and you aren't buried in your league yet by the time he can play...well you could be golden.

KO'd

Pirates will still take him as a RB7, he must be right, right?

Edited by Hugh B Tool

I just got him at pick 49! Check this draft out!

1. (9) Calvin Johnson (Det - WR) 2. (12) Larry Fitzgerald (Ari - WR) 3. (29) Adrian Peterson (Min - RB) 4. (32) DeMarco Murray (Dal - RB) 5. (49) Ryan Mathews (SD - RB) 6. (52) Miles Austin (Dal - WR) 7. (69) Jermichael Finley (GB - TE) 8. (72) Stevie Johnson (Buf - WR) 9. (89) Isaac Redman (Pit - RB) 10. (92) Philip Rivers (SD - QB) 11. (109) Greg Little (Cle - WR) 12. (112) C.J. Spiller (Buf - RB) 13. (129) Matt Schaub (Hou - QB) 14. (132) Dan Bailey (Dal - K) 15. (149) Buffalo (Buf - DEF)

I just got him at pick 49! Check this draft out!

1. (9) Calvin Johnson (Det - WR) 2. (12) Larry Fitzgerald (Ari - WR) 3. (29) Adrian Peterson (Min - RB) 4. (32) DeMarco Murray (Dal - RB) 5. (49) Ryan Mathews (SD - RB) 6. (52) Miles Austin (Dal - WR) 7. (69) Jermichael Finley (GB - TE) 8. (72) Stevie Johnson (Buf - WR) 9. (89) Isaac Redman (Pit - RB) 10. (92) Philip Rivers (SD - QB) 11. (109) Greg Little (Cle - WR) 12. (112) C.J. Spiller (Buf - RB) 13. (129) Matt Schaub (Hou - QB) 14. (132) Dan Bailey (Dal - K) 15. (149) Buffalo (Buf - DEF)

He just got picked in the 4.12 slot in the H.O.T. League.