[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

those of you who deal with the public

frenzal rhomb

How do you deal with people when they sht all over you . I work in disability insurance and Im working on a claim for an ortho spinal surgeon. Called him to gather some info and he let me know right out of the gate how successful he was and what a POS I was . Anyway - gave it back to him and now he needs mydirect supervisor to call him back cause I didnt bow down to his god complex.

My question is - do you just sit back and take sht cause the customer is always right or do you respond in kind to the treatment you recieve?

You can't win with those kinds of people....and you should have already known that. The best way to deal with that type is to just agree with whatever and continue to try and get the info you need. There is no doubt in my mind that your direct supervisor knows that.

Hard lesson learned.

You can't win with those kinds of people....and you should have already known that. The best way to deal with that type is to just agree with whatever and continue to try and get the info you need. There is no doubt in my mind that your direct supervisor knows that.

Hard lesson learned.

It takes a lot to pss me off but that guy was an ahole - epitome of the god complex. Reminded me of alec baldwin in that movie with nicole kidman - she was smoking hot in that too by the way. Now my mind is in a better place

I don't deal with customers that much, I do programming for our software company and do work with them on some projects. But I've heard of our support people being cussed out and treated very poorly by customers. In that case I totally disagree with the "customer is always right BS". I think that somebody in management from our company should contact these people and tell them this will not be tolerated and we will not support them if they choose to treat our employees that way. I think that happens on very rare occassions, but should be done more often.

If somebody was treating me like that on the phone I'd probably cuss them out good. Or just hang up. I don't have the patience to be all nice and kind when I'm being treated like CHIPS AHOY!.

If someone treats me disrespectfully I tell them that it will stop immediately or I will end the conversation (by hanging up). Tha may not always work if YOU need info from them. If that the case you use TACT. The defination being: "Telling them were to go in a way that they will enjoy the trip." :brow:

After bartending for 15 years and hearing every profanity/threat/accusation in the book, working for the call center for the electric company is almost funny. You can tell when people have that 'god complex' and, yes, I just kiss their a$$. It works most of the time and I don't think twice about it after they hang up. :People swear up a storm and I just let them, often by the end of the call they are just happy that they got to blow off steam. I guess I'm able to not take it personally. Of course I've also never been in a fight in my life, either. I've always been able to let things like that roll off of me.

In answer to the question, as far as I'm concerned, the customer is always right in my industry but in the end, I must follow company guidelines and let them know that in the nicest way possible. If they are still not happy, I tell them to go out and buy a freakin generator. (I've never said that, but want to sometimes)

After bartending for 15 years and hearing every profanity/threat/accusation in the book, working for the call center for the electric company is almost funny. You can tell when people have that 'god complex' and, yes, I just kiss their a$$. It works most of the time and I don't think twice about it after they hang up. :People swear up a storm and I just let them, often by the end of the call they are just happy that they got to blow off steam. I guess I'm able to not take it personally. Of course I've also never been in a fight in my life, either. I've always been able to let things like that roll off of me.

In answer to the question, as far as I'm concerned, the customer is always right in my industry but in the end, I must follow company guidelines and let them know that in the nicest way possible. If they are still not happy, I tell them to go out and buy a freakin generator. (I've never said that, but want to sometimes)

This... You absolutely cannot take it personally if you want to work in customer service or anything relating to customers... Now, as for employees and employers, hell yes I've told off my fair share, and even kept a job after cussing out my bosses 3 different times because they knew I was right to be pissed....

But yes, "the customer is always right" applies... Your job at the company is to deal with people's claims, no matter how ridiculous they might be acting, and make sure that you as a representative of the company deal with it the way the company has asked you to. That's your job, to act in their interest to serve even gigantic God-complex-filled CHEETOs. It is not your job to dictate how they should treat other people. Leave that to your interpersonal relationships. It's called customer service for a reason...

Edited by delusions of grandeur

This... You absolutely cannot take it personally if you want to work in customer service or anything relating to customers... Now, as for employees and employers, hell yes I've told off my fair share, and even kept a job after cussing out my bosses 3 different times because they knew I was right to be pissed....

But yes, "the customer is always right" applies... Your job at the company is to deal with people's claims, no matter how ridiculous they might be acting, and make sure that you as a representative of the company deal with it the way the company has asked you to. That's your job, to act in their interest to serve even gigantic God-complex-filled CHEETOs. It is not your job to dictate how they should treat other people. Leave that to your interpersonal relationships. It's called customer service for a reason...

Its called customer service, not customer's whipping boy.

I don't deal with customers that much, I do programming for our software company and do work with them on some projects. But I've heard of our support people being cussed out and treated very poorly by customers. In that case I totally disagree with the "customer is always right BS". I think that somebody in management from our company should contact these people and tell them this will not be tolerated and we will not support them if they choose to treat our employees that way. I think that happens on very rare occassions, but should be done more often.

If somebody was treating me like that on the phone I'd probably cuss them out good. Or just hang up. I don't have the patience to be all nice and kind when I'm being treated like CHIPS AHOY!.

It is good for your companies bottom line that you don't work in customer service.

Its called customer service, not customer's whipping boy.

Because some guy he doesn't know told him over the phone that he's better than him? Yeah, a paycheck isn't worth that kind of a "whipping" :rolleyes:

Look, everyone has parts of their jobs that really suck, and if you're in customer service, this is yours... If they're really going overpboard, then maybe a polite "I'm not going to continue this process until you can settle down and give me the info I need", but it's a job, not an invitation to tell them back off.

It's not your personal life, it's your job, which is to deal with people's crap. If it bothers you that much, find another job, because this isn't limited to one guy who was an a'hole. It's a part of any customer service job, but again, the job is called customer service, and so no, I don't think it's worth getting worked up over a verbal "whipping" from a stranger you're being paid money to deal with.

I agree with every one who said not to take it personally. If you can do this you have retained your dignity, which only adds value to your pay check. Also a lot of people end up feeling like jerks at the end of it all if you are professional. If you respond in kind then they just feel like they were justified for their rude behavior. No matter what you say the person will still be an a'hole. You are the only one who can be hurt by allowing yourself to be pulled into a confrontation.

It is good for your companies bottom line that you don't work in customer service.

Well they didn't hire me to do customer service, they hired me to write computer software. Years ago we had more layers of people involved and they dealt with the customer. And they still do for the most part. I've never had anybody cuss me out, and I'd not take that well.

Because some guy he doesn't know told him over the phone that he's better than him? Yeah, a paycheck isn't worth that kind of a "whipping" :rolleyes:

Look, everyone has parts of their jobs that really suck, and if you're in customer service, this is yours... If they're really going overpboard, then maybe a polite "I'm not going to continue this process until you can settle down and give me the info I need", but it's a job, not an invitation to tell them back off.

It's not your personal life, it's your job, which is to deal with people's crap. If it bothers you that much, find another job, because this isn't limited to one guy who was an a'hole. It's a part of any customer service job, but again, the job is called customer service, and so no, I don't think it's worth getting worked up over a verbal "whipping" from a stranger you're being paid money to deal with.

My point was you're basically saying "you're in customer service it is your job to take abuse from customers." I think that is wrong, and any good manager would hopefully help their employees deal with anybody that behaves that way. I'm talking about a customer talking down to somebody and acting like God. I'm talking about just pure mean spirited verbal abuse, profanity, etc.

Unlike many in customer service our support people will be working with the same customer over again, know them by name and will likely meet them at our annual user's conference. These are not simple numbers in a system that some mega corporation deals with. So you've got that same guy coming back over and over treating you like crap. I just don't see why "customer service" should entail being CHIPS AHOY! on by customers.

I knew a guy who told me what he did on customer service by telephone. He said he'd be real nice and take the abuse. Apologizing the whole time then would "lose" their application or put them on hold for a long time then ask them what the problem was again or "transfer" the call and "lose" the connection. He said kill them with kindness then inconvenience them in some way. It never made it better it was just a way he got even with those who were abusing him.

My point was you're basically saying "you're in customer service it is your job to take abuse from customers." I think that is wrong, and any good manager would hopefully help their employees deal with anybody that behaves that way. I'm talking about a customer talking down to somebody and acting like God. I'm talking about just pure mean spirited verbal abuse, profanity, etc.

Unlike many in customer service our support people will be working with the same customer over again, know them by name and will likely meet them at our annual user's conference. These are not simple numbers in a system that some mega corporation deals with. So you've got that same guy coming back over and over treating you like crap. I just don't see why "customer service" should entail being CHIPS AHOY! on by customers.

Like I said, I've cussed out bosses, and even picked fights with plenty of guys that should have probably kicked my ass for calling them out on being a dick.

But if you're going to be representative for your company (or in any instance in which your voice represents their), then it is your obligation to base your actions on what the company would want you to do (within moral reason), and in this instance it's not to blow a deal because you let your personal emotions get involved. People are dicks, but they're still customers. Get over it and do what you're paid to do, to process claims. No offense intended, but it's no surprise that you don't work in customer service.

If you find that to be irreconcilable, then you should find another company or profession, because you're not supposed to speak with your voice. You're being hired to speak with the company's voice, and I'm pretty sure most owner or managers hiring you would agree, that their voice says "the customer is always right".

Their bottom line and your paycheck are more important than how a stranger speaks to you, aren't they? I guess I just don't give a crap what some stranger thinks to let it bother me to the point that I can't perform the job I'm paid to do...

Im not in customer service - we have a customer service dept. I am there to gather information and I pay claims to people that get disability benefits up to 15 k per month. My job is to get info and make determinations based on the policy. i have been doing this seven years and rarely have issues with people. This guy was an ahole and he wasnt shtting on me, I dont give a f who he is. If he wants to impress me - be a neuro surgeaon and not and ortho - f in loser.

Im not in customer service - we have a customer service dept. I am there to gather information and I pay claims to people that get disability benefits up to 15 k per month. My job is to get info and make determinations based on the policy. i have been doing this seven years and rarely have issues with people. This guy was an ahole and he wasnt shtting on me, I dont give a f who he is. If he wants to impress me - be a neuro surgeaon and not and ortho - f in loser.

I mean customer service in the loose sense, anything from sales to claims, etc., where part of your job is interacting with customers.

Not criticizing you for not being able to hold back from his total rudeness, but you really can't let it get to you personally... Like you said, who gives a crap what that loser thinks about you. He doesn't even know you, so why let it get to you?

As was said earlier, he's the only one that wins if you let it piss you off.

Edited by delusions of grandeur

Tom Sizemore treated me like that on our first movie together. The 2nd moviie I told him to go frack himself. Our 3rd movie, he treated me like a brother...he still calls me a craqckhead for smoking menthols....kinda calling the kettle black there dontcha think?

I mean customer service in the loose sense, anything from sales to claims, etc., where part of your job is interacting with customers.

Not criticizing you for not being able to hold back from his total rudeness, but you really can't let it get to you personally... Like you said, who gives a crap what that loser thinks about you. He doesn't even know you, so why let it get to you?

As was said earlier, he's the only one that wins if you let it piss you off.

I hear you - just his constant Im a very successful ortho spine surgeon rap over and over again when Im trying to get his info to pre ex his claim and his accusations etc etc etc. The good news is he demanded to speak with my supervisor and there were no repurcussions on me so I guess I got the best oh him. My point is this, I have a job to do but Im not anyone's btch and wont be treated as such. Just wondering though how others felt inthis situation if they push back or just take it.

Just found out when my supervisor called himback the conversation went like this

Boss: Hello Mr. Ahole

claimant: Whoah, Im gonna stop you right there. We're going to start this conversation over and you will address me as Dr. Ahole.

My boss completely understands

I talked with somebody in management at my company after all this. She has been here a long time, came up through the customer service department, managed it, and now manages most of our software development and support operation. I asked a couple of simple questions

Q Is the customer always right?

A No, but its all about how you explain it to them and get them to understand things, even if you cannot get them to accept they are wrong.

Q: Do you expect your support reps to take abuse from customers?

A: No, if the customer is uing profanity or attacking the rep personally they should come to me and I'll deal with the customer.

My basic point and response to delusions of grandeur is this, just because your job is customer service doesn't mean you have to take abuse from customers. People may see it as part of the job, but a company who wants to retain valuable employs with good skills they'll prevent that as best they can. If you want to run a call center of drones who just follow some form and deal with things in a very simple way fine. If you want thinking people with skills to solve problems, you'll do what you can to create a work environment where your reps are not treated like CHIPS AHOY!.

Another difference for us compared to somebody working in a call center of large corporation is we have more direct and personal contact with our customers. We have maybe 8-10 support reps taking care of 150-200 companies, each of which has a primary contact and maybe a few others people. Plus we have an annual user's conference that a lot of customers attend. So the support reps have more regular and personal contact with the customer, they meet and see these people and work with them over and over again. Some are dicks and will treat people like CHIPS AHOY!, but the majority are not like that. And those who do act like pricks and don't correct their action will generally get a lesser quality of support.

PS You're right its no surprise I'm not in customer service. I didn't spend 4 years getting a computer science degree to work on the phones. I was hired to do programming, and will work with customers when needed. But I'm not going to take abuse from somebody just because they are the customer.

Just found out when my supervisor called himback the conversation went like this

Boss: Hello Mr. Ahole

claimant: Whoah, Im gonna stop you right there. We're going to start this conversation over and you will address me as Dr. Ahole.

My boss completely understands

As someone with a doctorate, this is always a great place to start any discussion :)

When you deal with someone like that who just berates you and is nasty one of the best things to do is remain very calm and keep an even tone to your voice and over-agree to everything they say. It drives that personality type crazy.