Sign in to follow this  
LordOpie

Google Shopping Censors All Gun, Ammo & Accessories Results

Our company has a strong culture and values, and we've chosen not to allow ads that promote products and services that are incompatible with these values.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2012/06/28/google-shopping-to-censor-all-gun-ammo-accessories-results/

http://support.google.com/merchants/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=188484#US

Who's pressuring Google to do this? I'd think they wouldn't care in the least if it made them money. They make it sound like the 2nd amendment is wrong, yet I bet they pull some sleazy stuff with their monitoring and selling of private info.

http://www.slickguns.com/ is a pretty decent feed for deals and I suspect most looking to purchase firearm and related stuff don't use google shopping anyways. Maybe they're taking a "stand" on something that isn't making them money to look good?

Meh.

They're not filtering the search, just not allowing the ads. Every private company makes decisions like this. I'm still mad that I can't get Maxim at Walmart. :unsure:

Who's pressuring Google to do this?

What makes you think anyone is pressuring them to do this? Are you saying they should be required to run ads for guns?

its a decision of theirs and they are entitled to it..i don't see anything wrong with this.

What makes you think anyone is pressuring them to do this? Are you saying they should be required to run ads for guns?

i assume that theyre in business to make money

Are you suggesting that every business should do all that can to make money, regardless of how the feel ethically about doing so?

Are you suggesting that every business should do all that can to make money, regardless of how the feel ethically about doing so?

so not selling firearms and accessories is, in fact, an ethical decision? I just find the decision process interesting and was curious about it. Like Denny's new ad that talks about America with a bit about the 2nd.

so not selling firearms and accessories is, in fact, an ethical decision?

I kind of feel like that is exactly what your original quote says.

I kind of feel like that is exactly what your original quote says.

lol, you're right. I had to go re-read it cuz I forgot what Google had said. And yeah, they can do whatever they want with their business. I should've been clear that I found it interesting and wondered if anyone knew what led them to that decision.

Like CostCo says in their membership that they don't allow CC, but all they do, if they catch you, is ask you to secure your gun in your car. I don't think they have an ethical issue, just what they feel is a safety issue. Of course, if you get caught, then you did a bad job CCing :D

And what makes you assume they can't make just as much money by running other ads?

lol, you're right. I had to go re-read it cuz I forgot what Google had said. And yeah, they can do whatever they want with their business. I should've been clear that I found it interesting and wondered if anyone knew what led them to that decision.

Like CostCo says in their membership that they don't allow CC, but all they do, if they catch you, is ask you to secure your gun in your car. I don't think they have an ethical issue, just what they feel is a safety issue. Of course, if you get caught, then you did a bad job CCing :D

Costco can't confiscate weapons. Asking people to leave and secure them in their car is perfectly reasonable.

And what makes you assume they can't make just as much money by running other ads?

:shrug: bad topic, I agree. But are you saying that they can't put something in google shopping cuz they have firearms in there?

:shrug: bad topic, I agree. But are you saying that they can't put something in google shopping cuz they have firearms in there?

No. They can probably run whatever ads they want, but merely choose not to run gun ads as a matter of corporate policy. Seems like a non-issue to me.

Costco can't confiscate weapons. Asking people to leave and secure them in their car is perfectly reasonable.

I'm pretty comfortable to go into Costco unarmed, BUT NO WAY WILL I SHOP SAM'S CLUB UNLESS I'M PACKING!!!