[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Andy Griffith Died

whomper

RIP Andy

Legendary television actor Andy Griffith, who made a name for himself with his self-titled comedy "The Andy Griffith Show" and later on the long-running series “Matlock,” has died at the age of 86, according to multiple reports.

Griffith was rushed to a North Carolina hospital by an EMS team after they were called to his Roanoke home Tuesday morning. The actor’s close friend, former UNC President Bill Friday, confirmed the news to several sources, including and a local NBC affiliate.

The details surrounding the cause of his death were not immediately available.

Griffith first gained prominence in Hollywood after appearing in the Elia Kazan film “A Face in the Crowd.”

In 1960, he played the lead character in “The Andy Griffith Show,” where he became a household name and a staple of American television. The show ran until 1968.

In 1986, he returned to television with the long-running series, “Matlock.”

He was later awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President George Bush.

Edited by whomper

:sad:

There are a handful of actors I would love to work with before they pass. He was one of them. Sorry I never got the chance. RIP Andy.

Not trying to hijack, but just out of curiousity, who?

Not trying to hijack, but just out of curiousity, who?

Well besides the big Hollywood talent, the super A list like Jack,Clint etc, the actors/actresses I grew up watching and admire are my favorites to work with. Like working with Mary Ann (Dawn Wells) and Eric Roberts. They are not names that will knock your socks off, but to me, it was a pleasure. I've worked with the big names: Jeff Bridges is the biggest so far. But to me, its the B list that is the most fun and rewarding to work with.

Some of the handful off the top of my head:

Adam West

Bob Newhart

Robert Duvall

Sean Connery

Roger Moore

Betty White

Well thats more than a handful but you get my drift. There are many others. I get a chance to work with Rutger Hauer later this year. Pretty excited about that...one of my favorites.

Would love to have worked with Andy. Just to hear his stories on set would have been priceless.

RIP - I grew up watching the Andy Griffith show (which was in reruns by then). Simple life is appealing. Those were the sort of shows that we all watched and offered a common language for us. Don Knotts was comedic genius in his own way. Imagine what today's shows would do with Otis the town drunk who let himself in and out of jail. Watching that show always made you think you needed to go fishing when you had a son and it was right.

Andy lived about 2 hours from my home. Since our areas shared one of the same newspapers their were articles about Andy from time to time. I remember reading one where Don Knotts was talking about how great an actor Andy is. It appears that he was just playing himself in the show, an easy going person. However, he wasn't a real personable type person as you see on the show.

IF you guys have never seen "No Time For Sergeants", check it out.

I think that I know the film. He was a country hick that made Gomer Pyle look like a genius. It was a good movie.

I loved watching the Andy Griffith show growing up.

Well besides the big Hollywood talent, the super A list like Jack,Clint etc, the actors/actresses I grew up watching and admire are my favorites to work with. Like working with Mary Ann (Dawn Wells) and Eric Roberts. They are not names that will knock your socks off, but to me, it was a pleasure. I've worked with the big names: Jeff Bridges is the biggest so far. But to me, its the B list that is the most fun and rewarding to work with.

Some of the handful off the top of my head:

Adam West

Bob Newhart

Robert Duvall

Sean Connery

Roger Moore

Betty White

Well thats more than a handful but you get my drift. There are many others. I get a chance to work with Rutger Hauer later this year. Pretty excited about that...one of my favorites.

Would love to have worked with Andy. Just to hear his stories on set would have been priceless.

Eric Roberts plays a villain so many times that you'd think that he was a jerk. Like the movie where he played the boyfriend of a playboy model that he ended up killing. (Star 80)

Edited by MikesVikes

I liked how they were pioneers in bringing the small town America gay lifestyle on to T.V. With one of Floyd the Barber, Howard Sprague, Goober Pyle, or Ernest T. Bass appearing in nearly every episode this was pretty radical stuff back in the day.

It was also pretty freaky when Andy and Barney would look for a group thing involving Helen Crump and Betty Lou. That show was lightyears ahead of its time.