[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

aren't cigarette butts trash?

frenzal rhomb

I noticed that is the one object peope really seem to have no qualms about just discarding out of the car window. I never see people throw out paper, hamburger wrappers, plastic bottles etc right in front of someone but people just chuck cigarette butts right out onto the road and doesnt matter how many cars are around.

Now I see other types of trash on the road but that seems discarded more discreetly.

Theories?

• Like 1

I noticed that is the one object peope really seem to have no qualms about just discarding out of the car window. I never see people throw out paper, hamburger wrappers, plastic bottles etc right in front of someone but people just chuck cigarette butts right out onto the road and doesnt matter how many cars are around.

Now I see other types of trash on the road but that seems discarded more discreetly.

Theories?

Kinda weird this post just came up.

For the first time ever in my life yesterday, while stopped at an intersection, a woman in the passenger seat of the car to my left and ahead one opened her door, leaned over and put her cigarette out on the street, and then closed the door taking her butt with her back inside the car. And she was doing it hard - not scraping the cherry off it and saving it for later. She just didn't want to litter is what I gathered.

Anyway....I saw that then saw your post. Weird.

Figured.

Generalizing and stereotyping is such a drag. Pretty much always wrong. But everyone is entitled to their opinion, no matter how warped it may be.

Would it make you happier if I retracted my initial blanket statement and said 8 out of 10 smokers are trash?

Edited by SEC=UGA

Would it make you happier if I retracted my initial blanket statement and said 8 out of 10 smokers are trash?

Wouldn't make any difference. You have stated your opinion....altering it to appease someone doesn't change your true belief.

Wouldn't make any difference. You have stated your opinion....altering it to appease someone doesn't change your true belief.

It works for politicians... :kicksrock:

I didnt post this to bash smokers. But I think that the majority of people dont litter but those cigarette butts just get tossed right out and pretty much no one cares - if I was driving down the road and I threw a soda cup out - the driver behind me would be appalled - maybe even pull me over and burn me with a ciggy

Edited by frenzal rhomb

No, cigarette butts are not trash, but people who smoke are.

So all of the following are trash huh? Interesting

Male Celebrity Smokers List:

Back to the point, I'm a smoker and generally don't smoke in my car. When I do, I use the ash tray. There are littering laws in place for smokers who are too lazy to ash out and decide dumping the butt out the window is more convenient. Not only are butts non biodegradable, they are also the most common cause of fires. You can easily report a litterbug...most states have a hotline in place for that exact purpose.

Edited by tazinib1

I didnt post this to bash smokers.

You didn't. But couldn't let sec just get away with that statement.

I have to say that throwing a lit cig-butt out of a car window is not littering. It is a major crime. At least here in the NW it is. And has been for at least 75 years that I know of. You can throw a whole bag of garbage out the window in front of a cop and he will tag you with a littering ticket. You throw a lit cigarette out the window in front of a cop and he will haul your loser rearend to jail.

You didn't. But couldn't let sec just get away with that statement.

I have to say that throwing a lit cig-butt out of a car window is not littering. It is a major crime. At least here in the NW it is. And has been for at least 75 years that I know of. You can throw a whole bag of garbage out the window in front of a cop and he will tag you with a littering ticket. You throw a lit cigarette out the window in front of a cop and he will haul your loser rearend to jail.

Yes, you could have...

Or, you could have found it to be quite hughmorous.

ETA: Oh, and Taz, yes I consider most of the Hollywood set, smokers and non smokers, to be morally bankrupt, immoral, self righteous, arrogant, hypocritical, trash.

Edited by SEC=UGA

ETA: Oh, and Taz, yes I consider most of the Hollywood set, smokers and non smokers, to be morally bankrupt, immoral, self righteous, arrogant, hypocritical, trash.

I'd love to say I share the same opinion, but since I'm in the business, that would be suicidal. :unsure:

Edited by tazinib1

Definitely true here. With the threat of brushfires here in southern California anyone who throws a cigarette out of his car is committing a crime.

• Like 1

So all of the following are trash huh? Interesting

Male Celebrity Smokers List:

Back to the point, I'm a smoker and generally don't smoke in my car. When I do, I use the ash tray. There are littering laws in place for smokers who are too lazy to ash out and decide dumping the butt out the window is more convenient. Not only are butts non biodegradable, they are also the most common cause of fires. You can easily report a litterbug...most states have a hotline in place for that exact purpose.

I remember many years ago i was coming home from working the 4-midnight shift at the shipyard. I was driving a Datsun B210 and the driver in front of me threw out a butt that hit my windshield. The butt fell into the air grill just under the windshield and I could see that it was still lit. By the time I stop and got out to check, it had gone out.