[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Car Experts - Need Some Help

Chief Dick

Wife has a 2004 Suburban. She says she's driving along and hears what she thinks sounds like a tire popping. After this sound, the car stops moving forward. She has it in drive but the transmission is not engaged.

She calls me, so I meet her. I can put the car in reverse, and it will engage and back up. I then put the car in D1 and it engages and drives. I can manually shift into D2 and D3 and get it home.

It looks like it won't engage in Drive, but seems to be ok otherwise. Albeit it ran rough coming home when I shifted from D1 to D2 to D3.

Any ideas, other than I'm fooked?

Edited by Chief Dick

Sounds like internal transmission. One thing you could try... If the check engine light is on go to Auto Zone and have the codes read. Then once you have them written down have them clear the codes and see if you get drive back. If you do and all feels normal then it could just be a solenoid inside the trans or one of the speed sensors.

Sounds like internal transmission. One thing you could try... If the check engine light is on go to Auto Zone and have the codes read. Then once you have them written down have them clear the codes and see if you get drive back. If you do and all feels normal then it could just be a solenoid inside the trans or one of the speed sensors.

Check engine light is not on.

Check engine light is not on.

That surprises me. If you put the gear selector in D3 will it engage and move like normal? In other words does it have to be in D1 to get started?

Edited by tbimm

That surprises me. If you put the gear selector in D3 will it engage and move like normal? In other words does it have to be in D1 to get started?

I have to go to D1 first to get it in gear. It also goes into gear if I put it in reverse.

Ok I did some research and you aren't going to be happy with what I have found. This does appear to be an internal problem. What's worse is that it is a very common problem with the Suburban and Tahoe transmissions. Many were failing in this exact same way very early, from 30k to 75k with no towing history.

I got my info from a GM tech site that I use for work but this problem is also discussed openly on many sites. Here is one in particular.

http://www.justanswer.com/chevy/0autw-2004-chevy-suburban-faulty-ground-wire-stud-this-issue.html

By the way this is a pretty good site for any other questions you may have. You can also always hit me up.

Ok I did some research and you aren't going to be happy with what I have found. This does appear to be an internal problem. What's worse is that it is a very common problem with the Suburban and Tahoe transmissions. Many were failing in this exact same way very early, from 30k to 75k with no towing history.

I got my info from a GM tech site that I use for work but this problem is also discussed openly on many sites. Here is one in particular.

http://www.justanswe...this-issue.html

By the way this is a pretty good site for any other questions you may have. You can also always hit me up.

Yeah, I called a transmission shop here in town, and within about 30 seconds he described 2 potential problems. Thought it would be around $1600 to fix. This guy came recommended from my neighbor, so he's a small local shop.

Edited by Chief Dick

Yeah, I called a transmission shop here in town, and within about 30 seconds he described 2 potential problems. Thought it would be around $1600 to fix. This guy came recommended from my neighbor, so he's a small local shop.

If that is a complete overhaul that is a very good price.

If that is a complete overhaul that is a very good price.

Not sure yet exactly what it entails. He's got it now but probably won't know for sure until Monday. But everything I've heard about this guy is that he's very reasonable and honest.