[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

12 killed, 50 injured at new Batman movie

boltnlava

I'm not implying anything - I'm being pretty f'ing blunt. Any person with a gun is more dangerous than that same person without a gun.

A person with a car is more dangerous than that same person without a car.

A person with a knife is more dangerous than the same person without a knife.

A person with a hammer is more dangerous than the same person without a hammer.

A person with a simple knowledge of chemistry is more dangerous than one without.

A person with a few simple items from home depot and a basic understanding of chemistry or even a basic reading level and the internet can kill more people more quickly than a guy with a gun. I think we should put more restrictions on reading, education, and internet service.

which of the individuals you listed were found not guilty by reason of insanity?

None that I know of. Not sure why you're hung up on this, and feel you need to try and prove something. I'll drop any notion of this guy using the insanity defense. I only mentioned it because once we start saying "that dude was crazy/deranged" the notion of an insanity defense is raised.

A person with a simple knowledge of chemistry is more dangerous than one without.

A person with a few simple items from home depot and a basic understanding of chemistry or even a basic reading level and the internet can kill more people more quickly than a guy with a gun. I think we should put more restrictions on reading, education, and internet service.

Yeah, and we read/hear so many stories of deranged people building bombs and blowing up 5-40 people at a single time.

The point some are making (no it isn't ban all guns) is that guns have become to readily accessible in our society, Too many people think it the solution to their problems. So when they freak out they grab a gun and shoot multiple people. The person with a knife, hammer isn't going to be able to do that easily. (Maybe with a car, but we also don't see that happening as regularly.)

How many civilians had Obama killed in Pakistan?

None, commanders don't kill people, soldiers kill people.

I've had plenty of really bad days and I've never shot anyone. I've had the means to do so, but didn't. What kept me from doing it? Simple, I didn't want to deal with the consequences of it. It isn't the ability to do it that keeps me from doing it, but the consequences. If you take away my guns (I know, you don't advocate that) and I was imbalanced enough to kill someone, I could find plenty of other ways to do it. I could use my bow, I could use one of my knives. Sure that is slow and I wouldn't be able to kill large numbers. If I was wanting to kill large numbers, I'm sure I can figure out how to make an IED, or simply drive my 8,000# truck through a crowded area. Point being, tools and weapons don't kill people, people kill people. If someone wants someone else dead, and doesn't care about the consequences, there aren't any laws to keep it from happening. Honestly I'd rather face a guy with a gun than a guy with an explosive vest. I'm pretty sure for less than the cost of the gun and ammunition I could make a bomb that would bring down a large multistory building with my knowledge of structures. I could kill a much larger number of people.

First of all, I've missed us.

Secondly, I don't really disagree with anything you've said. Maybe *you* won't snap but people obviously do all the time. And when someone does, they are undeniably more dangerous to themselves and everyone around them if they have a gun.

Edited by yo mama

Sounds like we agree with each other. Except you've suggested restricting reading, eduction, and internet service whereas I am not advocating for more gun restrictions.

Yeah, and we read/hear so many stories of deranged people building bombs and blowing up 5-40 people at a single time.

Isreal has much stricter gun control laws than we do here. Bombs blow up over there almost every other day it seems like.

Sounds like we agree with each other. Except you've suggested restricting reading, eduction, and internet service whereas I am not advocating for more gun restrictions.

Perch builds more strawmen than the Acme Scarecrow Company.

I simply had to reply to Az's comments, as they presume much as well.

only thing I presumed was that one or two patrons who were armed and capable may well have affected the situation. of course, it's impossible to say how it would have unfolded, that's obviously purely hypothetical. but I think it is reasonable to assume that it would have changed the dynamic of the situation. do you actually dispute that?

Yes, anyone without a gun is less dangerous than that same person with a gun.

that goes for people who would do evil, but also for people who would stop it.

on another note, this schit, on both sides of the aisle, burns my blood. dude on NBC throws out "there's a tea party guy named Jim Holmes....could be him!" really? those are your journalistic standards? of course it was a different guy. and perch and others trying to tie him to OWS. a bunch of lefties on twitter are blaming rush limbaugh. then of course there's the usual scapegoats...video games, guns, hollywood, lesbians. gimme a break. what relevance does this have to politics? is anybody going to change their mind about economics or the role of government based on what a psychopathic murderer felt about the issue? should they?

I don;t see how this has relevance

I read a study where 90% of gun assailants ate carrots in the previous 7 days. Guns don't kill people, gun owners who eat carrots do.

I'm not a fan of gun control, and love my weaponry, but these cause and effect arguments that people try to make are almost always desperately stupid attempts at rationalization.

Edited by bushwacked

only thing I presumed was that one or two patrons who were armed and capable may well have affected the situation. of course, it's impossible to say how it would have unfolded, that's obviously purely hypothetical. but I think it is reasonable to assume that it would have changed the dynamic of the situation. do you actually dispute that?

Absolutely

that goes for people who would do evil, but also for people who would stop it.

Yes it does, which is why your response is the best response.

None that I know of. Not sure why you're hung up on this, and feel you need to try and prove something. I'll drop any notion of this guy using the insanity defense. I only mentioned it because once we start saying "that dude was crazy/deranged" the notion of an insanity defense is raised.

:pc: He helps determine this for a living

Exactly! People watch insipid crime shows or listen to insipid media reports and assume that it is extremely easy to assert an insanity defense. Moreover, they have no idea what "insane" means (In Florida, this is a legal term, not a psychological term). In reality, it is extremely difficult to be found legally insane and requires evaluations by several different forensic psychologists.

Exactly! People watch insipid crime shows or listen to insipid media reports and assume that it is extremely easy to assert an insanity defense. Moreover, they have no idea what "insane" means (In Florida, this is a legal term, not a psychological term). In reality, it is extremely difficult to be found legally insane and requires evaluations by several different forensic psychologists.

Ah, whaddayou know about it, I've watched EVERY episode of CSI

Went to see the movie tonight and the place was crawling with cops. Security was tight.

i seriously think i'd rather be in general population then a mental ward :2cents:

I went to read this thread, and a hockey game broke out...

Huddle member 1: Mine's bigger than yours!

Huddle member 2: Oh yeah! Well my Dad can beat up YOUR Dad.

:mouth:

Nice job turning a thread about a sad situation into ANOTHER political thread, where each side is more than happy to express how wrong the other is in what really is a truly tasteless argument.

:tdown: