[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

12 killed, 50 injured at new Batman movie

boltnlava

I read a study where 90% of gun assailants ate carrots in the previous 7 days. Guns don't kill people, gun owners who eat carrots do.

I'm not a fan of gun control, and love my weaponry, but these cause and effect arguments that people try to make are almost always desperately stupid attempts at rationalization.

LINK?

another senseless and heartbreaking shooting tragedy hits Colorado. Prayers to the victims and their families . So incredibly sad

Not sure why many of you are getting upset about the thread content, at least it's sparked some interesting discussion and viewpoints, kinda seems like a breath of fresh air around here. I know the thread is about the tragedy at hand, and yes, we should be sending our thoughts and prayers to the families, but given the nature of the crime having a discussion about gun control seems fitting in the thread. Just my :2cents:

On point, this guy didn't just have a bad day, go home and grab his gun and go murder some people. This was thought out and planned, so the argument about people who won guns being a bad day away from killing people seems rather silly in general but certainly in this particalur instance even more so.

kid goes back to finish the movie the next day

Less than one day after he escaped the chaos and carnage of the Aurora, Colo., theater shooting, lifelong Batman fan Justin Davis was back at the movies with a sense of purpose.

Davis, 16, was accompanied by his brother and a friend to a screening of "The Dark Knight Rises" at a different Colorado movie theater.

"I just want to finish it, and for all those men, women and children that didn't get to finish it, I want to finish it for them," he said.

amidst all the hand-wringing, posturing, and people seemingly competing with each other to show just how shocked and saddened they are, I actually kind of view this kid as a hero. I don't know about the "finishing it for them" bit, that seems like maybe a dumb statement. but the whole "screw him, I just wanna see the rest of the movie" attitude....that's how we keep the terrorists from winning.

kid goes back to finish the movie the next day

amidst all the hand-wringing, posturing, and people seemingly competing with each other to show just how shocked and saddened they are, I actually kind of view this kid as a hero. I don't know about the "finishing it for them" bit, that seems like maybe a dumb statement. but the whole "screw him, I just wanna see the rest of the movie" attitude....that's how we keep the terrorists from winning.

:tup::usa::tup:

his AR-15 jammed and he didn't think to use one of his other three firearms.

what happened after it jammed ? Patrons grabbed him ?

How did the killer end up getting apprehended anyway ?

His AR jammed and he went back to the vehicle to unjam it or get another gun. When police came up to his vehicle they saw him with a gun and demanded he get out of the vehicle.

Also, not to be too tin-foil-hat-wearing, but if he's not acting in that courtroom video (link above), then it seems like something is wrong with him besides being evil or just insane. Being in the PhD neurosciences program, I think that he might've SNICKERSed with his own brain in some bizarre project.

Or he's acting.

Also, not to be too tin-foil-hat-wearing, but if he's not acting in that courtroom video (link above), then it seems like something is wrong with him besides being evil or just insane. Being in the PhD neurosciences program, I think that he might've SNICKERSed with his own brain in some bizarre project.

http://static.blogcritics.org/10/05/27/135887/john-lithgow-in-buckaroo-banzai11.jpg

I believe the argument that Yo Mama is trying to make is that he (and I) for that matter, don't believe that more people with guns make us safer in general The notion that, were someone else carrying in that theater, the situation could have been lessened is such a reach, that it's barely worth bringing up. Besides the fact that many there thought it was a special effect and part of the show, there's smoke everywhere and dude was wearing body armor.

In fact, the very thought that people are even discussing that possibility scares the hell out of me.

Now, that doesn't mean we need to make them illegal. After all, and has been made clear many times, cars, homemade bombs, any sharp thing, all sorts of things are possibily lethal and we simply can't make everything illegal. So Perch, DoG, it is possible to be of the opinion that you'd rather not see more people walking around with guns and not be advocating that they all be taken away. It just means you don't buy the story that they're a good thing in general.

And, honestly, it's getting pretty damned annoying having any gun control discussion because so many advocates see any steps to control them at all as a slippery slope. A local gun advocacy group went bat-chight when a reporter, in a story, linked to a public access data base that shows, in some vague detail (no names or addresses, just street names) of where concealed carry permits exist in your community. Again, this is public knowledge to begin with. At any rate, these guys are now publishing photos of dude's wife and children as well as his address but simply reminding people "be civil when confronting them". They're basically at war with the news group. How is this an attack on their right to bear arms? Hell, you'd think they'd want everyone to know this, so the bad guys will know which streets to cross of their list.

The way people talk, you'd think that gun rights were really under attack. But how have they been curtailed in any meaningful way of late? If anything, the rights seem to be expanding and we're seeing things like "stand your ground" and all that pop up.

But the second someone starts to wonder if there's anything we could do to avoid something like this and they're at the ready. Reminding you of how many ways they could kill someone if they wanted to and how silly a notion it is to even bother to examine how guns are bought and sold in this country.

Another, non-related thought. I was on vacation and looking at SI's Olympics preview. There's like 12 shooting categories and I think we've got one person who is expected to medal in one of them. Not even a gold. You'd think for a country who is so damned into our guns and apparently so filled with people as skilled as I'm told we are, that we'd be all over the podium.

Edited by detlef
  • Like 1

Guns should be banned. That will never happen because people feel they need to "defend" themselves against other guns. Oh and people find it "fun" to shoot guns. I find it fun to shoot scud missiles but I play a video game instead of going out to buy one.

That was actually Fezic, the giant who said the quote you're attributing to Montoya... :whistle:

Allow me to assist you in increasing your knowledge of 'The Princess Bride.'

Edited by untateve

Now it starts:

Man suing the theater, the doctors that gave the shooter medication, and the movie studio.

Oh, by the way, the guy suing wasn't shot.

from the linked article

"Torrence Brown, Jr. was not shot, but his best friend died and Brown says he is suffering from extreme trauma,"

I don't agree with him suing, but it wasn't like he wasn't affected by the incident. I'd be traumatized too if I watched my best friend get shot and killed and feared for my own life during this incident.

Guns should be banned. That will never happen because people feel they need to "defend" themselves against other guns. Oh and people find it "fun" to shoot guns. I find it fun to shoot scud missiles but I play a video game instead of going out to buy one.

Don't you own a pitbull?