[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gun Control

SEC=UGA

Advocates of this "everyone with a gun" position assume an average concealed carry permit Joe has more sense than I care to give them.

That said, I'm not for more gun control or against concealed carry per se. I think guns are dangerous and I take statistics seriously that you are more likely to be shot by your own gun than an intruder's. I agree with those that have indicated that this situation is more of a mental health issue. The best way to prevent the random delusional massacre is through social services where people have early access to mental health and gets to these people before the worst happens. I'm not convinced that a person in this state of mind would care if the entire theater had pistols drawn and aimed at the exit door as he came in.

Well said.

As others said, prohibition doesn't work, and criminals don't care about the law. Your goal to save lives is a good one, but your method of achieving the goal is flawed. We've been there, done that.

And as was mentioned in the other thread, the guy was building explosives in his apartment. Does anyone really think gun control would have stopped him from killing people?

I agree 100% that gun control does not get to the root of the problem here.... In fact, now that it's coming out that the guy was pretending he was the Joker, or something like that, should we blame the movies then? The fact of the matter is the guy was obviously mentally unstable and violent, and nothing but mental help was going to change that.

My argument isn't as much about being responsible as it is about how people react in a crisis situation. I don't care how many hours you've spent at the range. That is not going to prepare you to think clearly and critically when someone appear in your midst shooting people at will. As a general rule, law enforcement personnel are going to have some training in this regard. Such training is going to determine someone's ability to assist in a crisis far more than their marksmanship.

A few years ago I had a young man that was mentally challenged walk into my house. I'd never seen the guy before. All I know is he did not belong in my house. I was actually in the back yard smoking a pork but and as I walked in the back door, he walked in the front door at the same time. I pulled my gun and leveled it at his chest. I didn't pull the trigger because, I quickly ascertained he was not a threat. You'd be surprised at the training some of us nuts have.

And as was mentioned in the other thread, the guy was building explosives in his apartment. Does anyone really think gun control would have stopped him from killing people?

I agree 100% that gun control does not get to the root of the problem here.... In fact, now that it's coming out that the guy was pretending he was the Joker, or something like that, should we blame the movies then? The fact of the matter is the guy was obviously mentally unstable and violent, and nothing but mental help was going to change that.

I agree to some degree but does it hurt? And do you think that more strict gun control laws could help? Someone building explosives like this guy, is not going to be stopped by better gun control laws though.

A few years ago I had a young man that was mentally challenged walk into my house. I'd never seen the guy before. All I know is he did not belong in my house. I was actually in the back yard smoking a pork but and as I walked in the back door, he walked in the front door at the same time. I pulled my gun and leveled it at his chest. I didn't pull the trigger because, I quickly ascertained he was not a threat. You'd be surprised at the training some of us nuts have.

Conversation over for me. I can't even believe that's real!

Edited by irish

Better Gun control would make it harder for crazy people to get guns as they wouldn't be as readily available. Therefore, these crazies would have to resort to other, more likely, less destructive means. Can you imagine every person being able to carry a gun on them?!?

You make the point about drugs. I've never done drugs and if I wanted to start, I couldn't just go to the local supermarket and pick up some pot, or coke, or lsd, etc because it's not legal and therefore, as readily available. Could I get some? Sure, but it would be harder to do. I feel better Gun Control laws would have the same effect. Right not, I have a crystal clean background and would check out no problem. I go into a gun store, show my ID and could get a gun without much trouble at all. I could also be someone who just recently found out his wife was cheating on him or lost a child in a bad accident and want to take my anger out some way. Easy money.

I think I'd rather you get the gun and shoot the cheating couple than make a bomb because you couldn't get a gun and blow up the cheating couple and your neighbors house too. But that is just me.

I think I'd rather you get the gun and shoot the cheating couple than make a bomb because you couldn't get a gun and blow up the cheating couple and your neighbors house too. But that is just me.

I hear ya but who's to say how much would be blown up. How about you just get therapy and learn how to cope with loss?

Edited by irish
  • Like 1

I still don't want you sitting behind me in a dark movie with a gun. You'd probably prefer that I wasn't back there with one of mine, too.

Could you do the same thing in a dark room, during a loud combat scene in the movie, with tear gas? Quickly? Maybe you can, but would you give the average citizen the same benefit of the doubt?

Go back and search past threads. I talked about it two or three years ago hear at The Huddle.

Certainly not how I'd handle it but hey, we have the freedom to choose. When I was married and first moved into my house, I had a mentally challenged guy who lived around the block (who ended up coming around all the time) walk into my garage (did this to many neighbors) while I was working on something. He startled me and put me on the defensive and it was quickly figured out who he was and what was happening. However, I can't imagine pulling a gun on the guy and how it would've effected him and how the rest of the neighborhood would have reacted? To me that's just crazy! But if it's your cup of tea, so be it.

I still don't want you sitting behind me in a dark movie with a gun. You'd probably prefer that I wasn't back there with one of mine, too.

Exactly. It just doesn't create a safe environment and I wouldn't feel comfortable and I'm sure that I'm not alone.

Could you do the same thing in a dark room, during a loud combat scene in the movie, with tear gas? Quickly? Maybe you can, but would you give the average citizen the same benefit of the doubt?

That's the point. Allowing citizens to freely go about their business packing heat is just not a good idea, AT ALL!! Look it up, out of many of the major countries in the world we have some of the most laid back laws when it comes to gun control and I'd bet that when you look at the amount of deaths caused by guns (homicides only if you wish), you'll probably find that our percentages are worse off. We need more gun control, along with other mental health services to help people make and put them in better positions to make better, safer choices.

ETA: And the answers to the above questions are definitively, no. Decreased visibility, increased distance between the 2 people, increased noise and chaos would all make the situation much more challenging.

Edited by irish

Certainly not how I'd handle it but hey, we have the freedom to choose. When I was married and first moved into my house, I had a mentally challenged guy who lived around the block (who ended up coming around all the time) walk into my garage (did this to many neighbors) while I was working on something. He startled me and put me on the defensive and it was quickly figured out who he was and what was happening. However, I can't imagine pulling a gun on the guy and how it would've effected him and how the rest of the neighborhood would have reacted? To me that's just crazy! But if it's your cup of tea, so be it.

The guy was staying with a neighbor up the street. I'd never seen him before. I couldn't tell anything was wrong with him until he opened his mouth. He was in my house uninvited, and I didn't know him. So I pulled my gun, and when I ascertained he wasn't a threat I holstered it.

The guy was staying with a neighbor up the street. I'd never seen him before. I couldn't tell anything was wrong with him until he opened his mouth. He was in my house uninvited, and I didn't know him. So I pulled my gun, and when I ascertained he wasn't a threat I holstered it.

Right...Still CRAZY, IMO.

I don't know if I could or not. What I do know is that I'm not going to take the safety off, much less fire unless I have a clear field of fire between me and my target.

Holmes...entered the movie auditorium wearing a ballistics helmet, bullet-proff vest, bullet-proof leggings, gas mask and gloves. He detonated multiple smoke bombs and then began firing...police found him in full riot gear and carrying three weapons, including an AR-15 assault rifle, which can hold upwards of 1000 rounds, a Remington 12 gauge shot gun and a .40 Glock...

I'm close to 100% certain no untrained boob with a CHP and a single pistol is winning that fight without a $hit ton of luck.

• Like 1

I'm close to 100% certain no untrained boob with a CHP and a single pistol is winning that fight without a $hit ton of luck.

A 1,000 round AR magazine? Largest one I know of a 100 round magazine.

• Like 1

A 1,000 round AR magazine? Largest one I know of a 100 round magazine.

Type-o on my part. Irrelevant but a type-o nevertheless

ETA: I can't cut and paste text with the new format :shrug:

Edited by Clubfoothead

If you are in a dark theater and he's spraying a praying and doesn't know you are about to fire at him, and your gun is outfitted with crimson trace, then you have a good chance. If he knows you are shooting at him, they I agree you are probably screwed.

I also am not so sure of the argument that if everyone were packing we'd all be safer. A dark movie theater with chaos everywhere and you add say another couple of dozen of weapons into the mix? Is prefer trained law enforcement and security personnel to be the armed ones in these situations.

there obviously were no law enforcement or armed security personnel present. the only one with a gun was the dude indiscriminately mowing people down.

I'm not convinced that a person in this state of mind would care if the entire theater had pistols drawn and aimed at the exit door as he came in.

nor am I. but I'm not convinced he would have been able to shoot 71 people either.

Edited by Azazello1313

If you are in a dark theater and he's spraying a praying and doesn't know you are about to fire at him, and your gun is outfitted with crimson trace, then you have a good chance.

I dispute the characterization as "good". I would agree you have a better shot with the laser than without. So now you just have to hit him in the face, from across an auditorium, with complete chaos surrounding you. You may be a better shot than a standard cop, but you aren't SWAT.

And I sure as heck am not comfortable going to see a movie knowing everyone behind me is armed with a pitol and under the mistaken impression they have any chance at all against a dude as well armed and kevlared up as Holmes apparently was.

I dispute the characterization as "good". I would agree you have a better shot with the laser than without. So now you just have to hit him in the face, from across an auditorium, with complete chaos surrounding you. You may be a better shot than a standard cop, but you aren't SWAT.

And I sure as heck am not comfortable going to see a movie knowing everyone behind me is armed with a pitol and under the mistaken impression they have any chance at all against a dude as well armed and kevlared up as Holmes apparently was.

Even if you hit him at center mass which is protected rather than the face, or the armpit, or the thigh (femoral) you are going to temporarily incapacitate him. Kevlar will more than likely keep the bullet from penetrating, the kinetic energy is still there and will more than likely knock him on his ass, particularly since he wouldn't be expecting it.

Even if you hit him at center mass which is protected rather than the face, or the armpit, or the thigh (femoral) you are going to temporarily incapacitate him. Kevlar will more than likely keep the bullet from penetrating, the kinetic energy is still there and will more than likely knock him on his ass, particularly since he wouldn't be expecting it.

I'm going to dispute the effectiveness of a pistol vs. kevlar from across a movie theatre with a pistol that is small enough to be concealed. I doubt you have a shot at the armpit given his weapon - it just isn't exposed. He has kevlar leggings on so I doubt hitting him in the thigh is going to be effective. You need to shoot his face.

I agree with you from close range, you might have a chance at knocking him down. Of course the closer you are the more likely it is you are dead since he's got an AR-15.