[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Novice scotch drinker here

frenzal rhomb

Dollar for dollar, JW black is the best out there, IMO. Smooth, not much bite, good balance of flavors.

I, however, prefer single malts. My favorite to sip on is Dalwhinnie.

so what difference will I taste going from a blend to a single malt?

Blends are produced for consistency of the brand. Think of it as a good all around drink.

Single malts, to me, have a bit more "character" and have very original flavors.

Blends are produced for consistency of the brand. Think of it as a good all around drink.

Single malts, to me, have a bit more "character" and have very original flavors.

then one last dumb question - if blends are consistent, can I expect two bottles of the same single malt scotch to taste different ?

And thanks for the advice

then one last dumb question - if blends are consistent, can I expect two bottles of the same single malt scotch to taste different ?

And thanks for the advice

Not as much now as in earlier days. Much like wine, though, different things can effect the taste of a single malt scotch from batch to batch (though you will not see as dramatic of swings in scotch as you will wine.) But, odds are, if you buy a bottle of 12/15/18/25 yo single malt from the same distiller you are going to get a very, if not completely, similar taste.

For the longest time, it was largely assumed that single malts were "better" than blends. That mentality has changed somewhat of late with some more luxury blends coming to market, especially some great Japanese "scotch". I forget which producer said it, but it was sort of a shot across the bow to single malts. Saying, "I love single malts. If you blend them with others, you can get an amazing drink."

In fairness, while I've had a lot of scotch, it's not exactly my thing. And, as a result, I do tend to prefer blends because I'm less likely to get something peaty and weird.

I will say this, if you're new to the game and want something delicious and easy, Dewars has a newish product that they created to compete with Johnny Black. It even has a black label. Definitely an American whiskey drinkers scotch as it is riper and more straight forward than most scotch. Of course, with that in mind, it may or may not be much of an intro since it is rather atypical for scotch.

I'm a semi-novice on the scotch myself. Probably the best bang for the buck I've found is The Balvenie 12-yr...usually goes for ~$45 but it's ridiculously smooth.

Ive tried a few but I like Johnny Walker Red for the money - I am going to move up to the Black label - any experts out there have opinions - and I drink it rocks - neats a little much for me at this time

Whatever you can pound in your car before a concert

So probably mcCormicks scotch. Or clan mcgregor.

• 1 month later...

Dollar for dollar, JW black is the best out there, IMO. Smooth, not much bite, good balance of flavors.

I, however, prefer single malts. My favorite to sip on is Dalwhinnie.

I am a novice as well and dont actually care too much for scotch but this is the best I have ever tasted by far IMO

I'm a semi-novice on the scotch myself. Probably the best bang for the buck I've found is The Balvenie 12-yr...usually goes for ~$45 but it's ridiculously smooth.

I recommend this to newish scotch drinkers. Balvenie Doublewood 12 year is very drinkable.

Glenfiddich 15 year is really nice as well, but pricier.

Chivas Regal 12 year is the perfect first scotch IMO. Smooth, sweet (for a scotch) and drinkable. Others:

My favorite to sip on is Dalwhinnie.

Balvenie Doublewood 12 year is very drinkable.

Glenlivet 12

Auchentoshan 10

Those are pretty light. Try not to use more that 2 rocks at first, then dial it down to one. If you get into scotch, you'll learn how to add water to open it up. A rock is kind of a no brainer way to do that at first.

I like Johnnie Walker Black, but its a little peaty and smoky for a beginner.

Edited by Furd

as a more seasoned scotch and all around whiskey drinker, I second the Auhentoshen 10 for being very drinkable. I was extremely pleased when my mother-in-law bought me a bottle for Christmas, it has become a mainstay in my house now.

Unfortunately I rarely have scotch and my MIL is basically a mainstay at my house now...