[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cleveland Browns sale

stevegrab

Just heard this from a co-worker who listens to local and national sports radio all day, and found this story

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/51411/browns-address-rumors-of-team-sale

There was a rumor back in early June which was denied by the Browns. But it appears now that they are being sold and it could be finalized soon.

Kind of surprised, and just hope that the new owner will do everything possible to help the team be successful.

freakin liar!

and to sell to someone that has money in with the Steelers? Is that allowed?

Haslam will have to sell his ownership in the Steelers, which is pretty small (don't see a number anywhere, but I'm guessing maybe 10). I had forgotten all about the Rooney family issue (kids didn't want to be owners) and how they had to sell off a majority (something like 70%) of the team to others.

Haslam will be a Browns fan once he buys (and sells of his Steeler shaes), while he was a Steeler fan with that ownership and a fan of other teams before that. At least he sounds like a passionate football fan, not like Randy Lerner who seems totally uninerested in the Browns. He admitted that the Browns were his dad (Al's) dream not his. His soccer team (Aston Villa) is his baby, and he pays very little attention to the Browns.

And let's not even go down the "so where will the Browns move" discussion, because that is not happening.

One last thing, I believe it was Holmgren who denied that the Browns were for sale, saying something like "I talk to Randy all the time and I'd assume he'd tell me." So either Mike wasn't in the loop, or he was just being a good soldier.

Also read that this will be Holmgren's last year...we'll see

To elaborate, here is what my friend said he read/heard

James Banner, President of the Philadelphia Eagles is one of the ownership group with Haslam, and would be taking over the operations and keeping Heckert and Shurmur, and letting Holmgren go.

Cleveland Mayor Frank Jackson also had this statement from here

Cleveland Mayor Frank Jackson released a statement regarding the possible sale:

“The Cleveland Browns have some of the most loyal and passionate fans which have helped make it one of the most valuable sports franchises in the world. The city took precautionary measures to ensure that fans would be able to cheer on the Browns at Cleveland Browns Stadium for years to come.

“The 30-year lease to the Cleveland Browns commenced in 1999 and continues to 2029. This lease, like the prior Municipal Stadium lease for which the City of Cleveland successfully obtained an injunction in 1995, requires the Browns to play all their regular season and playoff home games in the Cleveland Browns Stadium. If this requirement is not honored the city has legal options that could be pursued if necessary.”

---

While he is right about the lease, he's delusional thinking the Browns are anywhere near one the "most valuable sports franchises in the world".

actually, a lot of my Facebook's news feeds have listed the Browns as the 30th most valuable sports franchise. But only 27th or so in the NFL. #1 and #2 were both Soccer franchises

actually, a lot of my Facebook's news feeds have listed the Browns as the 30th most valuable sports franchise. But only 27th or so in the NFL. #1 and #2 were both Soccer franchises

I wouldn't consider the 30th (or 27th out of 32 NFL) most valuable team to be "one of the most valuable in the world" unless you're counting several hundred or thousand teams.

I've been digging for more info on Holmgren stepping down, but don't see anything. Could still be it happens or that he is done after this year.

there's over 120 franchises in MLB, NHL, NBA and NFL. This obviously doesn't include the Soccer league(s) that are holding the top 2 spots.

#30 is top third of the most valuable franchises in the world. The reporter really wasn't going out too far with that comment.

977 million is their value.

there's over 120 franchises in MLB, NHL, NBA and NFL. This obviously doesn't include the Soccer league(s) that are holding the top 2 spots.

#30 is top third of the most valuable franchises in the world. The reporter really wasn't going out too far with that comment.

977 million is their value.

Ok, so they're worth a lot and top third in the 4 major North American sports leagues. But when you're in the bottom 5 of your own league, I cannot see how somebody considers them "one of the most valuable in the world". As I said, if you include enough teams (throw in WNBA, minor league baseball, MISL, Arena Football, etc) sure they look impressive.

That would be the 2nd team that LA stole from Cleveland. Weren't the Rams from there originally?

Correct, Cleveland Rams (AFL 1936, NFL 37-45) - had to look it up not a lifelong Cleveland resident

But it isn't happening, and I think BB was just trying to be funny.

Haslam owns 18% of the Steelers. He bought in around October and they won the Superbowl months later. Not a bad investment to have. He tried to purchase the Titans from Bud Adams but that crazy loon wouldn't sell. He lives about a mile from me and is a pretty nice guy. Of course Browns fans may feel differently when he's loading up the Mayflower trucks and headed to LA.

I can tell you this- there will be no tickets at will-call for Lane Kiffin.

Edited by TNtitans

LA Browns might have large appeal to a significant segment of their community.

is it just me or was that supposed to be serious? I thought Billy was making humor there? :lol:

I thought the same thing.

Haslam owns 18% of the Steelers. He bought in around October and they won the Superbowl months later. Not a bad investment to have. He tried to purchase the Titans from Bud Adams but that crazy loon wouldn't sell. He lives about a mile from me and is a pretty nice guy. Of course Browns fans may feel differently when he's loading up the Mayflower trucks and headed to LA.

I can tell you this- there will be no tickets at will-call for Lane Kiffin.

not happening

The deal's been finalized.

BEREA, Ohio — The reaction from Cleveland Browns players and coaches has been subdued in the wake of news that the team has been sold to Jimmy Haslam III for in excess of $1 billion.

According to a source with knowledge of the negotiations of the sale, Haslam III is currently vesting his interests with the Pittsburgh Steelers, the team he has held a minority stake since 2008.

Good luck to Haslam and the new ownership/management. Don't upset things too much now, or keep blowing the team (coaches/front office, QB, etc) up every few years.

Randy (and Al) Lerner - thanks for bringing the NFL back to Cleveland and trying to build a winner.

Now come on, let's win some games (seriously 5-6 would be nice), beat the Steelers (or any team in our division) once this season.

Some more detail...

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/cleveland-browns/cleveland-browns-1.270107/randy-lerner-reportedly-sells-browns-to-jimmy-haslam-iii-for-more-than-1-billion-1.324213

The key points

- over 1 billion

- initially Haslam buys 70%, with Lerner retaining 30% (something abuot financial obligations to former staff)

- long term Haslam buys the rest

- former Eagles President Joe Banner is part of the ownership group, no word on if/when he takes over for Holmgren (my guess is after this season)

- NFL owners could wait until their October meeting of have a special one before to finalize it (my guess is they do it before the season opener)