[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

motorcycle helmet thoughts

nuke'em ttg

I hate wearin'm period. The ride is not the same, i sweat ta death, my friggin ear itches and i gotta pull over. ya ya vegetable, life, death i'm ditchin the helmet or ditchin the bike, my crazy friend who had an R1, i'm glad he wheres a helmet.....oh oh it's more dangerous just riding in town at 13 mph you still need a helmet even though yer not goin 180mph then if ya have faith ya really don't care one way or the other not getting my dome burnt ta hell is the main thing and my honk if yer horney hat is working well.

:coffee: thoughts

oh ya and i can't drink with a brain bucket on :glare:

Is it against the law to not wear a helmet while you are riding where you live? If not, I see no problem with it. But you might want to check with your insurance to see if they will cover you in the event of an accident.

Is it against the law to not wear a helmet while you are riding where you live? If not, I see no problem with it. But you might want to check with your insurance to see if they will cover you in the event of an accident.

no helmet law here, i'll look into premium boys loophole thanks :tup:

While I don't care much if you wear a helmet or not, not wearing a helmet while riding a bike, skateboard, or Motorcycle is foolish. I use to manage a rehab business and I have sister who works with brain injuries for a living so I have seen far too many injuries like these to count. Unfortunately, it doesn't take much to turn someone into vegetable due to a head injury.

We had a neighbor kid who died two years ago simply falling out of a non moving pickup in their driveway. That said, it is your life. All too often it is not the rider but the other driver that doesn't see small vehicles while driving.

I am thankful my 'son" (not actual son but family friend who is like a son to me) who is 20 years old was wearing a helment when he wrecked his bike 6 months ago. He spent 2 months in the hospital with a broken femer and severe head trauma. He recently went back to work on very light duty. He still has a ways to go. WEAR A HELMET! PLEASE!

I've been riding for almost 15 years, mostly sporty bikes (my 98 Honda VFR in the pic). I always wear full riding gear including a full face helmet. While my hair might be a mess, and I may sweat terribly in the helmet I'm never really that uncomfortable.

As far as drinking with the helmet on I used to carry a water bottle with one of those spout type caps and it worked well. I now wear a camel back when I ride and can drink from that while I'm riding. There's also flip up helmets where the lower portion (chin bar and visor) actually pivots open.

I agree its your choice, but as ice1 pointed out, it doesn't take a strong impact with your head to do damage. A low speed crash or tip over and you smack your head on the pavement without a helmet could result in some serious damage.

PS Maybe a helmet that fits better or has better ventilation would help.

Seat belts and helmets make too much sense to leave optional. Granted you don't have to wear them in Iowa, and got knows those idiots can't drive in that state as is. But even in a desolate state full of morans who cheer for chitty college football teams like Iowa, I think they'd be better off having mandatory helmet laws. I believe the last "speeding ticket driving class" I had to take the stat was if you didn't wear your seat belt and were thrown from the vehicle, the person dies 9 out of 10 times. The human head doesn't absorb concrete very well and you risk that contact in almost every motorcycle accident.

I fully support the right to not wear one. I am against any laws restricting riders beyond a windshield or goggles.

fair enough, but what if the person riding does not have health insurance? what if there are long term problems from a head injury that prevents the person from working? its not all about the rider.

another muti level truss attic only 6' above the lower webs and as i jump to the lateral bracing the crotch in my pants won't open cause i'm sweatin ta death....thank god it happened fast, the right gun is red and purple, both knees took the coral reef and my theigh took the worst, it's got a dent in it and blood shot, my left ankle is has balloned up and pointing in, but i didn't hit my head, tomorrow i better be able ta walk, today i'm gettin in on the group AFLAC today this is bullchit........ARRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I used to think that, then I realized that the US has bigger problems to tackle first and then after that, they should ban large sodas before requiring a lid.

How much interference do we want in our lives? Where do we draw the line?

kind of silly and trite compairing this to a large soda.

my nephew was hit by a car a couple years ago (not on a motorcycle) and had hundreds of thousands in doctor's bills due to brain trama. I can imagine that somebody on a bike w/o a helmet could do similar damage to their head in an accident. I can also see how irresponsible folk (see uninsured) are more likely to not wear a helmet. This is not to say that 'not' wearing a helmet automatically makes you irresponsible, but that if somebody gets hurt and cannot pay their medical bills (or work afterwards) it affects more than just them.

are you also against seatbelt laws? I know many are. I am just curious. how about kids on motorcycles. should there be an age limit for kids riding as passengers or is it just another large soda thing?

Edited by Duchess Jack

If you don't have health insurance, life insurance and your kids' college/secondary education isn't paid for, you don't need a helmet but your family needs you to wear one. I don't need my tax dollars going to support other people's orphans because they wanted to exercise their right to be a grease stain on the road. I would consider that a good place to draw the line.

Helmets are like seatbelts to me. A matter of when, not if. I know both have saved my bacon more than once and that of many more people I know. Go ahead, don't wear them. Tempting fate is fun to some.

Exactly, and its a big beef I have with the AMA (Amer. Motorcycle Assoc.) I've been a AAA member for a long time, and not once have I found them trying to repeal (or stop) a helmet law. But the AMA spends tons on that, and caters to the helmetless riding crowd who scream about their rights. (While at the same time roaring down the road with open pipes, making sure to rev the engine and make more noise everywhere they go.)

The wind in my hair, the bugs in my teeth, the fractured skull in a low speed crash. Its all about freedom man.