[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lost our pup today

matt770

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God, what happens when a human close to me dies? I'm just toast, can't focus on work, just want to crawl into a hole. I can't deal with seeing his toys and food bowls around the house. He wasn't supposed to leave us this soon.

Sorry I can so relate. The worst part for me was looking at the spots where he would typically be and he wasnt there. Time will heal and you will be left with fond memories

That sucks bro. :(

God, what happens when a human close to me dies? I'm just toast, can't focus on work, just want to crawl into a hole. I can't deal with seeing his toys and food bowls around the house. He wasn't supposed to leave us this soon.

Well to be fair, dogs treat us much better than most humans. Losing anybody suddenly is a beech for sure though.

That sucks bro. :(

Well to be fair, dogs treat us much better than most humans. Losing anybody suddenly is a beech for sure though.

My wife has a long commute, stressful job and works with a few a-holes. I work from home. Pre-pup, my wife would often be in a foul mood and I'd listen to her unload the latest office drama for an hour or so, then we'd eat dinner. I'd tell her it would get better, give her advice, etc. After we got the dog, she'd open the door and he would attack her, wagging his tail, nuzzling and licking her for most of that hour. We would usually lay on the floor in my office petting and playing with him while we talked about the day. The difference in her overall mood has been dramatic. Today of course she is completely broken, and to make things more difficult she's traveling on business and we won't actually see each other until Thursday.

So it just completely sucks all around...he was by my side all day while I worked, constantly making me smile, and we'd go outside to play and I'd take him for walks on my lunch hour. I'm losing my little buddy in addition to seeing my wife go through it just as bad if not worse. And she's blaming herself for not staying home with him while I went to the wedding, and for choosing the particular boarding facility we used (well-reviewed, great reputation). Completely irrational but I guess it's normal to blame yourself.

But yeah, a dog loves you differently than any human could. Obviously there is much less complexity and depth to the relationship, but when you're laying there watching TV, he feels safe next to you and falls asleep, not much else is needed to feel completely content. I actually couldn't sleep last night not just because of the grief but because he wasn't in his little bed on the floor next to our bed. That gave me more comfort than I knew.

The lady at the boarding place said all the right things but if the necropsy shows any hint whatsoever that this could have been caused by their negligence, we are suing their pants off.

But yeah, a dog loves you differently than any human could. Obviously there is much less complexity and depth to the relationship, but when you're laying there watching TV, he feels safe next to you and falls asleep, not much else is needed to feel completely content. I actually couldn't sleep last night not just because of the grief but because he wasn't in his little bed on the floor next to our bed. That gave me more comfort than I knew.

That is why we do what we do with the rescue and why we take in dogs that no one will take. Some with life threatening issues. They may not last long, but the love they share is so worth it.

My condolences Matt. It is hard when you lose someone that close.

Keep us posted on what you find. The details sound bizarre.

Keep us posted on what you find. The details sound bizarre.

I dropped him off at the vet about an hour ago and she already called me back with what she found. His stomach was full of food, though he didn't eat at all yesterday (according to the lady at the boarding place). So that would have been food from Saturday night. She explained that "deep chested" dogs like Pork Chop are susceptible to bloat, which means air gets trapped in the stomach and food won't empty, then often the stomach twists and the dog needs emergency surgery to correct it. Without surgery, blood pressure plummets and the dog can die quickly.

Doc is going to examine the records and x-rays from the emergency clinic, and also send blood and tissue samples to UGA for analysis, then next week we'll get the final report.

We own Weim's, bloat is very prevelant in the breed. There's a few things you can do to help minimize the chance for this to happen, but unless you owned a breed where it's very common (which is not the case in Labs), you would never think to (or be recommended by your vet to) do anything pro-actively. The real kick in the tits with bloat is that it can become fatal within a matter of minutes. So, long story short, don't you, or your wife, blame yourselves because even if you were there you probably wouldn't have been able to anything quickly enough either.

Real sorry again, I love dogs and know how big a part of the family they become. I had to put my male Weim down a few months ago, was one of if not the hardest things I've ever had to do. :(

Edited by Hugh 0ne

We own Weim's, bloat is very prevelant in the breed. There's a few things you can do to help minimize the chance for this to happen, but unless you owned a breed where it's very common (which is not the case in Labs), you would never think to (or be recommended by your vet to) do anything pro-actively. The real kick in the tits with bloat is that it can become fatal within a matter of minutes. So, long story short, don't you, or your wife, blame yourselves because even if you were there you probably wouldn't have been able to anything quickly enough either.

Real sorry again, I love dogs and know how big a part of the family they become. I had to put my male Weim down a few months ago, was one of if not the hardest things I've ever had to do. :(

His true breed(s) were a constant debate. The Humane Society said lab and bassett hound, but at 8 months he was only about 25 pounds. We decided from talking to people and seeing pics online that he was half dachshund, half beagle. Not that it mattered all that much, we just needed a better answer when people asked what he was. I was asked that so many times.

But on the phone the vet said "deep chested dogs like your bassett"... :shrug:

At any rate my wife will blame herself regardless, especially if she goes online and reads that stress is a trigger for bloat. She is convinced this wouldn't have happened if he were home. Maybe, but what are we supposed to do, stop going anywhere if we can't bring the dog? And do lots of dogs croak suddenly in their kennels? This seems somewhat rare and unexpected, and the place came highly recommended. Sometimes horrible stuff just happens.

BTW, sorry about your dog too. I didn't realize it was worse than losing an aunt, now I get it. My one BIL with two dogs is beside himself, he loved Pork Chop too. :(

Pocs

My favorites are the ones at the dog park with all the other dogs and the ones where he's in the water. He had so much fun that day, especially when he met this dog. He was a shepherd/dacschund mix and liked to play rough like Pork Chop. They could have hung out all day. I kept trying to get him to go in the water but he was scared. It was 100 degrees that day too. Finally I coaxed him in, and he loved it. He looked up at me with that huge smile as if to say "I did it daddy"!

If he had to leave so soon, I'm glad I was able to give him a few days like that one.

Really appreciate the replies/PMs today and your dog stories. Made this day somewhat more bearable.

Pocs

My favorites are the ones at the dog park with all the other dogs and the ones where he's in the water. He had so much fun that day, especially when he met this dog. He was a shepherd/dacschund mix and liked to play rough like Pork Chop. They could have hung out all day. I kept trying to get him to go in the water but he was scared. It was 100 degrees that day too. Finally I coaxed him in, and he loved it. He looked up at me with that huge smile as if to say "I did it daddy"!

If he had to leave so soon, I'm glad I was able to give him a few days like that one.

Really appreciate the replies/PMs today and your dog stories. Made this day somewhat more bearable.

Reminds me of these two little guys we have up for adoption:

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/23506769

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/23506732

Last thing I'll say on this for a while...we will be doing everything in our power to ensure the facility compensates us for this loss. In my opinion he started getting sick overnight on Saturday, given that he still had that night's dinner in his stomach when he passed. I believe strongly that he could have survived had they brought him to the ER earlier on Sunday morning.

I hope their management agrees they are culpable and will cut us a check so we can all move on. If not, I'm talking to lawyers and going after them for pain & suffering too.

And one more time I want to thank you guys for the support. This place may not be as busy as it once was, but try finding a better community of people.