[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lost our pup today

matt770

Last thing I'll say on this for a while...we will be doing everything in our power to ensure the facility compensates us for this loss. In my opinion he started getting sick overnight on Saturday, given that he still had that night's dinner in his stomach when he passed. I believe strongly that he could have survived had they brought him to the ER earlier on Sunday morning.

I hope their management agrees they are culpable and will cut us a check so we can all move on. If not, I'm talking to lawyers and going after them for pain & suffering too.

And one more time I want to thank you guys for the support. This place may not be as busy as it once was, but try finding a better community of people.

Hi - while I understand how you feel - I dont think you can get pain and suffering for a dog. They are property just like a car. When my dog was mauled, I discussed this with homeowners about lost time, inconvenience etc. No deal - just the value of the dog. I may be wrong but hopefully they at least compensate the dog. Good luck either way -

Edited by frenzal rhomb

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi - while I understand how you feel - I dont think you can get pain and suffering for a dog. They are property just like a car. When my dog was mauled, I discussed this with homeowners about lost time, inconvenience etc. No deal - just the value of the dog. I may be wrong but hopefully they at least compensate the dog. Good luck either way -

They probably had them sign some type of waiver as well when they dropped the dog off.

They probably had them sign some type of waiver as well when they dropped the dog off.

Of course, though I'm not sure it applies if they are grossly negligent. Anyway if they don't offer to pay the vet bills, I'll have a couple lawyers review everything and if there's no case, I'll accept it and move on. My opinion is the facility is at least somewhat culpable for a healthy puppy dying while in their care.

If you've dealt with this maybe it will connect, it certainly got me:

Have you a dog in Heaven, Lord?

Is there room for just one more?

Cause my little dog died today;

he'll be waiting at your door.

Please take him into Heaven, Lord.

And keep him there for me,

just feed him, pet him, love him, Lord,

that’s all he'll ask of Thee.

Just f'n bawling my face off. Like 8 times a day. Sucks like I can't even fathom. Picked up April from the airport today and in a way this is day 1. The sheer pain of it is at a crescendo today and we just have to work through it. Lots of good times on the horizon and we'll be fine, I just would never imagine it would be this much of a sh*t sandwich to deal with. I guess how young he was and the fact that it was a third party that we chose to care for him adds to the emptiness and regret. I'm lecturing April over and over that we can't feel guilty, no one could imagine this outcome, it's not like everyone assumes the local kennel is a death trap. Jeebus, are we crazy? It was a dog. Why is it the same cry as my grandparents.

Tomorrow I'm getting his remains back from the vet and his grave is about halfway done. Digging in that clay is a beeyotch and all I think about is him digging in this one bed to bury a bone and what a pain in the ass it was to replant the liriope. Now I just smile when I think about any of his crazy little habits even if they were destructive. That sucks too -- he could do no wrong. At least with people you can say "man, I'm glad I don't have to listen to her bitch about her sister anymore" or whatever. With him, every second was either hilarious, or relaxing, or exciting if we were going to check out a new dog park, always good. Him being gone is 100% suck.

Anyway the plan tomorrow is to have a short memorial, we'll say a few words, finish the horrible job, plant the roses and be done. It's important to recognize what he meant to us but I want to feel better and look forward to good times again.

ETA: On a scale of 1 to 10, "Yeah, this is why we'd never dream of boarding our sweet bootsie" is about a negative one billion if the goal is to offer condolence. I swear I'll go to my grave still struggling to fathom the depths of sheer human cluelessness.

Edited by matt770