[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What is the most boring sport to watch ?

whomper

71 members have voted

1. 1. What is the most boring sport to watch ?

• Soccer
    • Nascar
    • Golf
    • Baseball
    • Hockey
    • Football
    • Basketball
    • Boxing
    • Tennis
    • Puddy
    • Cycling

• Soccer - Highlights are awesome, you just have to sit through the rest of it. Great for Sportscenter

• Nascar - Not a fan, can watch for short periods of time, but get bored after about 10 minutes

• Golf - I don't golf, making watching it tedious. TV coverage is just the same people over and over. Maybe the format (having to go from player to player) is what bores me.

• Baseball - Great on the radio (of course we get Uecker), awesome live, watching at a bar is ok as I'm just looking up every once in a while. Can't just sit and watch a game on tv

• Hockey - My 2nd favorite sport. My favorite live sport (yes, above football). Not a great tv sport. Can't see the whole rink to see plays develop or what happens behind the puck. Also great for Sportcenter highlights

• Football - Best tv sport by far. Action. Pause. Replays. Repeat.

• Basketball - Run. Score. Repeat. So boring. Highlights=dunks.

• Boxing - Have never really gotten into it. Probably better live?

• Tennis - Kinda like it, but don't watch much.

• Puddy - Kinda like him, but don't watch much.

• Cycling - I like it more than alot of huddlers. That being said, I can't remember watching more than 10 minutes of any race recently. I hate the idea of teams, because I think it should be an individual sport (hate teams in NASCAR as well) but the team strategies are intriguing

Edit: I forgot to rank. Most boring to watch on tv at top:

golf

basketball

soccer

boxing

NASCAR

cycling

baseball

tennis

hockey

Puddy - I'm thinkin' Arbys

football

Edited by chester

(Most boring to least)

Marathon

Pool

Bowling

Cycling

Baseball

Golf

Rowing

Nascar

Drag Racing

Road Course Racing

Motorcross

Cricket

Lacrosse

NBA

Soccer

Hockey

Football

That one where they throw stuff in the water and the dog runs and sees how far he can jump... AWESOME!!

Some of these are not sports, like baseball, but I included them anyway.

My bowling average is 201. That alone makes me more exciting than cycling, nascar, golf and soccer. But my real entertainment value is darts and ping pong. You don't want to miss that.

Now that I know this I'm changing my vote to Puddy.

• Like 1

I'm probably in the minority, but I love watching golf (of course, I play golf as well, and can definitely understand why those who don't play couldn't stand watching it). I record pretty much every PGA event (used to record the entire tournament, but as life has gotten busier, I now mainly just watch the final rounds on Sundays), and typically watch as much of the majors (as well as Ryder Cup events, etc.) as I can. Whether or not you consider it a sport, it's definitely not in the same category as pool/darts... Pro golfers walk over 30 miles/week. Not saying that's difficult, necessarily, but in my book, if you can sustain an injury playing it (without booze being a contributing factor), it's a sport. But, we've debated that enough in the past... Moving on.

I actually enjoy watching most other sports as well. Besides the obvious (hoops, football, baseball), I can get into pretty much anything/everything... Curling is very interesting, for example, and I DVR'd quite a bit of curling during the last Winter Olympics. I don't go out of my way to watch hockey or soccer, but I can watch them and be entertained, if there's nothing better on TV. I enjoy watching the major tennis tournaments, but don't ever watch the other events.

The bottom for me, in terms of least interesting, would have to be Nascar, cycling, and anything involving horses. That said, again, if there's nothing else on, I can watch any of those and at least be somewhat interested/entertained.

DEFENDING CYCLING

Yes, it probably looks boring...and these days, if you're watching the wrong part of a stage race, it probably IS. But there's some really interesting tactics/strategy that goes in damn near EVERY race, if you're willing to take a few minutes to learn about it (and if you aren't, that's perfectly fine).

I WILL bristle a bit when someone says "even the crashes are boring" - I think my favorite explanation of crashing on a bike came from Jonathan Vaughters - "get your car going about 35 mph, strip down to your uunderwear, and dive out the door" - hitting the wall at 210 mph in NASCAR with 2 tons of metal wrapped around you may actually be less hazardous than hitting the deck at 40 mph wearing lycra and a styrofoam helmet is in bike racing.

I'm not saying anyone has to LIKE cycling, just don't diminish it. A pro rider is probably pretty tough (admittedly in a limited spectrum of "toughness")

Dang, My friend, it was a joke! :sigh:

Edited by rocknrobn26

• 3 weeks later...

..... i guess we have to define "sport" again :reporter:

i will never see golf or nascar as sports

I've had enough of people say that NASCAR is not a sport, or motorsports in general. I understand why people say it isn't a sport, many people on this site have driver licenses. Thus, they take for granted the entire notion of competitive driving as something that's easy, mindless, or unathletic.

Most people also think that NASCAR or any form of racing is a lot like the vehicles that me or you have at home, they are not.

All drivers go through something call g force's, imagine experience 3+ G's on a race track with 42 other drivers around you, all while maintaining the fastest speed you can.

How does this relate? I human being must in an amazing shape to withstand that much force for nearly three hours straight. During blast off a space shuttle exerts about three G's of force on its passengers, nearly a straight up comparison.

And you tell me that a NASCAR driver, who withstands those G's for nearly 3 hours straight (and up to 64 G's during a crash) just turns left all day?

Any person who can withstand those kinds of forces on his or her body is an athlete.

Almost no matter what your definition of "sport" is, NASCAR racing fits that definition, if you truly understand the sport.

Also, being an auto racer myself for many years (karnac.com search my name 'Jimmy Norman') I also played ball sports all during high school, after a 30 minute 25-30 lap race I was far more exhausted than I ever was after playing a full soccer, football, baseball, or lacrosse game.

So all you minivan drivers out there, football freaks (which I am as well), or whatever you are, those individuals who still say NASCAR is not a sport ought to go out try it. Once you've driven 500 laps at Bristol Motor Speedway, you'll realize how physically exhausting the sport is. Maybe then you'll understand.

I'm probably in the minority, but I love watching golf (of course, I play golf as well, and can definitely understand why those who don't play couldn't stand watching it). I record pretty much every PGA event (used to record the entire tournament, but as life has gotten busier, I now mainly just watch the final rounds on Sundays), and typically watch as much of the majors (as well as Ryder Cup events, etc.) as I can. Whether or not you consider it a sport, it's definitely not in the same category as pool/darts... Pro golfers walk over 30 miles/week. Not saying that's difficult, necessarily, but in my book, if you can sustain an injury playing it (without booze being a contributing factor), it's a sport. But, we've debated that enough in the past... Moving on.

one could sustain an injury sneezing. the mere virtue of adding competition to an activity doesn't constitute sport imo. heck, shall we create a new sport "airporting?" grabbing the bag from over head, trekking through long concourses to get baggage claim, then on to transport.... requires much more exertion than golf.

I've had enough of people say that NASCAR is not a sport, or motorsports in general. I understand why people say it isn't a sport, many people on this site have driver licenses. Thus, they take for granted the entire notion of competitive driving as something that's easy, mindless, or unathletic.

i really don't think anyone thinks it's easy or mindless... many activities and games require a great degree of strategy. also, there are many things that require athleticism that are not sports (ballet for instance). i admit i waiver on the athleticism of driving. certainly takes hand/eye and over a long haul, endurance. imo the inclusion of a mechanical devise as a major component in the activity turns me away from it being a sport. i could be a little more on board with motocross due to the immediate physical demands.

Most people also think that NASCAR or any form of racing is a lot like the vehicles that me or you have at home, they are not.

All drivers go through something call g force's, imagine experience 3+ G's on a race track with 42 other drivers around you, all while maintaining the fastest speed you can.

How does this relate? I human being must in an amazing shape to withstand that much force for nearly three hours straight. During blast off a space shuttle exerts about three G's of force on its passengers, nearly a straight up comparison.

And you tell me that a NASCAR driver, who withstands those G's for nearly 3 hours straight (and up to 64 G's during a crash) just turns left all day?

Any person who can withstand those kinds of forces on his or her body is an athlete.

Almost no matter what your definition of "sport" is, NASCAR racing fits that definition, if you truly understand the sport.

Also, being an auto racer myself for many years (karnac.com search my name 'Jimmy Norman') I also played ball sports all during high school, after a 30 minute 25-30 lap race I was far more exhausted than I ever was after playing a full soccer, football, baseball, or lacrosse game.

So all you minivan drivers out there, football freaks (which I am as well), or whatever you are, those individuals who still say NASCAR is not a sport ought to go out try it. Once you've driven 500 laps at Bristol Motor Speedway, you'll realize how physically exhausting the sport is. Maybe then you'll understand.

i would love to see how my prius would hold up on a major track. i don't appreciate how so many extraneous variable (and the mechanized nature of those variable) can impact the final result of the competition

Edited by Bier Meister

I think people that don't follow NASCAR or any other motorsports don't understand how hard it is to simply turn the steering wheel. An average car like you or me drive you can probably make a 90 degree turn with one hand and one finger, that definitely isn't the case with stock cars.

A stock car you have to use a lot more force just to turn the wheel, and that is when you actually have power steering, sometimes in racing the power steering box goes out, and that driver (which is an athlete or he would not be able to do this) does not slow down or lose any speed. Could you imagine turning a 3,500 pound machine at 180+ MPH's with NO power steering, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that that could really put a strain on your muscles.

I also do see you're point about how extraneous variables can impact the final result of the race or competition. But this goes back to NASCAR being a team sport a typical team has anywhere from 20-40 employees working at the teams headquarters, building the race car doing their best to make less of variables matter. Also another part of the sport is the pit crew, a crew of guys who change 4 tires and put 22 gallons of fuel in a car in under 13 seconds, they are athletes too.

I also believe that there are just as many 'extraneous variables' in football and a lot of other ball sports. Lets say a pass happy team with a 14-2 record that also has no run game, has to go play a team with an excellent run game, and all the players and coaches wake up that morning and it is pouring down rain, that pass happy offense isn't going to be as effective as it would have if it was a clear day, and the weaker clearly not a talented team could come out on top.

One last thing, if race car drivers weren't athletes, I don't think AP would've gave Jimmie Johnson AP Male Athlete of the Year. By the way he also did win five championships in a row, which is the single great achievement of any athlete in any sport.

The lady doth protest too much.

As Bier said, no one is denying that NASCAR drivers can be defined as "athletes" just that the act of turning a steering wheel left for 500 mi may not qualify as a "sport."

My loose definition of a true "sport" is one where if you aren't physically superior to the other guy, you (usually) don't win. Again, to echo Bier, it isn't so much that NASCAR guys don't perform athletic and physically difficult feats, it's that the strongest/smartest/whatever NASCAR driver isn't even guaranteed a shot at being in the Sprint Cup series, it's HIGHLY dependent on equipment.

I think people that don't follow NASCAR or any other motorsports don't understand how hard it is to simply turn the steering wheel. An average car like you or me drive you can probably make a 90 degree turn with one hand and one finger, that definitely isn't the case with stock cars.

A stock car you have to use a lot more force just to turn the wheel, and that is when you actually have power steering, sometimes in racing the power steering box goes out, and that driver (which is an athlete or he would not be able to do this) does not slow down or lose any speed. Could you imagine turning a 3,500 pound machine at 180+ MPH's with NO power steering, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that that could really put a strain on your muscles.

I also do see you're point about how extraneous variables can impact the final result of the race or competition. But this goes back to NASCAR being a team sport a typical team has anywhere from 20-40 employees working at the teams headquarters, building the race car doing their best to make less of variables matter. Also another part of the sport is the pit crew, a crew of guys who change 4 tires and put 22 gallons of fuel in a car in under 13 seconds, they are athletes too.

I also believe that there are just as many 'extraneous variables' in football and a lot of other ball sports. Lets say a pass happy team with a 14-2 record that also has no run game, has to go play a team with an excellent run game, and all the players and coaches wake up that morning and it is pouring down rain, that pass happy offense isn't going to be as effective as it would have if it was a clear day, and the weaker clearly not a talented team could come out on top.

One last thing, if race car drivers weren't athletes, I don't think AP would've gave Jimmie Johnson AP Male Athlete of the Year. By the way he also did win five championships in a row, which is the single great achievement of any athlete in any sport.

I understand that Danica Patrick is 5'2" tall and weighs in at 99 pounds. She competes with these great athletes. Sorry, not a sport.

• Like 1

- imo, golf may be the most challenging activity/game to master.

edit: golf goes into the same category as pool, darts, bowling, etc imo

- skiing involves oneself racing, body control, endurance, athleticism (certainly not all of the qualities that might define a sport, but sufficient)

So what is the criteria you have determined for an activity to be labeled a sport???? More specifically, what characteristics does Golf lack that deems it un-sports worthy? Seriously...I'd love to know.

And while you are thinking of a nifty answer, I'll provide one for you:

The following is the entry for "sport" in Merriam-Webster's dictionary

(1): physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2): a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in

So by definition, the game is of course a sport. But there is clearly a mindset that thinks of sport as being a particularly vigorous athletic pursuit. By Encyclopedia Brittanica, sport is:

:physical contests pursued for the goals and challenges they entail. Sports are part of every culture past and present, but each culture has its own definition of sports.

And I think in that last line lies rub. Each culture decides on its own. In the American mind, is there a level of vigorous activity necessary that is lacking in golf? The anti-sport contingent, you, would say that golf can't be a sport because old men play it, or because there are professionals who are clearly out of shape and overweight. I would ask those same people if they have ever seen a YMCA basketball game, or watched Fernando Valenzuela pitch or William Perry play football. None of those events disqualifies the activity in my mind. The same with golf. The act of striking a golf shot in the manner of the top echelon of players is clearly an athletic and vigorous motion. It is absolutely a physical contest and is easily defined as a sport. Because I know that you don't think hitting a draw or cut at 200yds 10ft from the pin is something any couch potato could accomplish without thousands and thousands of hours of practice. How about putting some spin on that 30ft chip to land in the winners circle (10yd perimeter of the hole).

I always come across thinkers such as yourself that don't give golf credit. Until I take them out on a golf course for 18 holes. First thing that comes out of there mouth before we start is: "Are we gonna get a cart?" hahahahahahaha....negative ghost rider. Matter of fact, lets do it again tomorrow. And the next day, then the next.

Edited by tazinib1

imo golf lacks a certain level of physical prowess and exertion. to me a driving contest smells more of a sport than golf itself (as does the work of a pit crew vs driving itself). the definition you provide is pretty globally accepted, but allows for virtually anything to be turned into a sport.