[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

First Pearl Harbor, then 911, and now this

SayItAintSoJoe

House Republicans called the Obama administration's birth-control mandate "religious bigotry" and compared it to the events of Pearl Harbor and Sept. 11, 2001.

The heated remarks came at a press conference marking the mandate's first day.

"I know in your mind you can think of the times America was attacked," said Rep. Mike Kelly (R-Pa.), a freshman.

"One is December 7 — that is Pearl Harbor Day. Another was September 11 — that was the day of the terrorist attack.

"I want you to remember August 1, 2012 — the attack on our religious freedom. That is a date that will live in infamy, along with those other dates."

Why go there?

Why go there?

He's pandering to a bunch of illogical idiots who want to ban abortion while being adamant about cutting services to "needy" children who's irresponsible and shiftless parents should have had an abortion in the first place.

• Like 1

Why go there?

To motivate stupid people to vote against Obama.

How long will it take for moderate republicans to regain control of the GOP? because until that happens, I fear that we are on a path to gradual and purposeful self-destruction.

• Like 2

Why go there?

Wow, that was just dumb.

How long will it take for moderate republicans to regain control of the GOP? because until that happens, I fear that we are on a path to gradual and purposeful self-destruction.

There's a local congressman from NE Ohio (Latourrette) who has decided not to run for re-election because he is tired of the politics. He is a moderate Repbulican and generally liked by most people in his district (it isn't mine but I know many who live there) regardless of their politics.

We'll see who ends up replacing him, but I doubt it will be DEM or a moderae REP.

Yup. It's rather extreme to claim you have the freedom to deny someone else theirs.

I don't think any doctor or pharmacy should be forced to provide contraceptives or abortions if they object to the morality of it. I look at them as conscience objectors.

I personally have no problem with contraception. I do have a problem with most abortions. I think it is crazy that the federal government can fine you $250,000 and give you two years in prison for destroying the egg of a bald eagle, but it is perfectly legal to abort a human fetus. Having said that I think it the abortion issue should be a states rights issue, not a federal issue.

+1

I don't think any doctor or pharmacy should be forced to provide contraceptives or abortions if they object to the morality of it. I look at them as conscience objectors.

I personally have no problem with contraception. I do have a problem with most abortions. I think it is crazy that the federal government can fine you $250,000 and give you two years in prison for destroying the egg of a bald eagle, but it is perfectly legal to abort a human fetus. Having said that I think it the abortion issue should be a states rights issue, not a federal issue.

you do know that eagles kill babies right? just think if we still could use DDT the evil eagles would be gone and we would only have to worry about the evil cougars and wolves that snatch babies in the night.

you do know that eagles kill babies right? just think if we still could use DDT the evil eagles would be gone and we would only have to worry about the evil cougars and wolves that snatch babies in the night.

Don't wake perch up and explain to him a proper analogy would have been a bald eagle aborting a human fetus.

It would have been better if you stated "How long will it take for moderate politicians to regain control of our country?"

Just an observation on removing our glasses.

• Like 2

It would have been better if you stated "How long will it take for moderate politicians to regain control of our country?"

:tup:

I think the pending automatic budget cuts will hopefully steer us in the right direction.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Republican Senator Lindsey Graham said on Thursday his party's anti-tax orthodoxy needed to be revisited, sparking interest from a senior Democrat who pledged to work with him to try to avoid deep automatic budget cuts set for early next year.

Graham, a conservative Republican, said he did not agree with fellow Republicans who thought any money saved by closing tax loopholes and eliminating tax deductions must go toward lowering tax rates, as opposed to using the savings for deficit reduction.

Graham's view deviates from the anti-tax pledge sponsored by Grover Norquist, head of Americans for Tax Reform. Adherence to the pledge, which has been signed by many U.S. Republicans nationwide, serves as a litmus test for electoral support among many conservatives.

"I signed the pledge myself. I actually like Grover, I think he's done a pretty good job of trying to keep the country from raising taxes," Graham told the Senate Appropriations Committee as it was voting on defense spending for next year.

"This (anti-tax) pledge has a component to it that I think needs to be revisited. I don't know how we get out of debt if we don't have bipartisanship," Graham said, adding that revenues generated by closing loopholes and eliminating deductions could go toward deficit reduction.

Graham's latest remarks are potentially important because he is a Republican senator outspoken about the need to avoid the automatic cuts in Pentagon spending.

"I don't know how we get out of debt if we don't have bipartisanship".....that's the smartest thing I've heard a politician say in a very long time.

Not really. The main problem with the democratic party (though they have many) isn't that the extremists are at the helm - its that they are too spineless to make tough spending cuts. To their credit, the Dems are far more willing to make compromises. For example, the republicans want to extend the Bush-era tax cuts for 100% of America. The Dems are willing to meet them most of the way by extending those cuts for 99% of America. But somehow that's not good enough for the GOP.

The current GOP leadership would rather burn everyone than help 99% of America - they won't compromise at all. How do you effectively manage a relationship with someone who won't give an inch on anything, and makes their main goal destroying the opposition rather than building solutions?

Edited by yo mama

Not really. The main problem with the democratic party (though they have many) isn't that the extremists are at the helm - its that they are too spineless to make tough spending cuts. To their credit, the Dems are far more willing to make compromises. For example, the republicans want to extend the Bush-era tax cuts for 100% of America. The Dems are willing to meet them most of the way by extending those cuts for 99% of America. But somehow that's not good enough for the GOP.

The current GOP leadership would rather burn everyone than help 99% of America - they won't compromise at all. How do you effectively manage a relationship with someone who won't give an inch on anything, and makes their main goal destroying the opposition rather than building solutions?

That certainly depends on your perspective. If the GOP feels all folks are over taxed AS IS then it isn't exactly a compromise. Did the Democrates and Rebulicas compromise in doling out the last round of tax cuts? Did the Democrates and Rebublicans compromise when Clinton raised taxes? Yeah I am pretty sure they did to some degree. At which point in the history of taxation do we take a snap shot and say OK you are now compromising. Taxation is fluid and just to state that this time around you are not compromising does not seem to be valid IMHO. I know you do not agree with me at all but I do believe any tax increase will hurt this economy large or small. Even Bill Clinton believes that if that means anything. I do believe there are a lot of business owners out there that this will effect, but the problem is it will most likely not hurt them directly as they will "take it out" on the middle man. Perhaps less benefits for there employers or less hiring, less purchasing from other small companies. The money may be forced out of one pocket by the government, but I guarantee they will figure out a way to fill the other pocket. Its human nature, but in the end the little guy gets hurt. Also these tax increase we speak of are purely symbolic. They amount to about $90 Billion dollars. We are burning $9 billion a day. Barley enough money to keep the government running through a world series.

That certainly depends on your perspective. If the GOP feels all folks are over taxed AS IS then it isn't exactly a compromise. Did the Democrates and Rebulicas compromise in doling out the last round of tax cuts? Did the Democrates and Rebublicans compromise when Clinton raised taxes? Yeah I am pretty sure they did to some degree. At which point in the history of taxation do we take a snap shot and say OK you are now compromising. Taxation is fluid and just to state that this time around you are not compromising does not seem to be valid IMHO. I know you do not agree with me at all but I do believe any tax increase will hurt this economy large or small. Even Bill Clinton believes that if that means anything. I do believe there are a lot of business owners out there that this will effect, but the problem is it will most likely not hurt them directly as they will "take it out" on the middle man. Perhaps less benefits for there employers or less hiring, less purchasing from other small companies. The money may be forced out of one pocket by the government, but I guarantee they will figure out a way to fill the other pocket. Its human nature, but in the end the little guy gets hurt. Also these tax increase we speak of are purely symbolic. They amount to about $90 Billion dollars. We are burning $9 billion a day. Barley enough money to keep the government running through a world series.

Tax increases are bad. And yet the GOP's policy is to raises taxes on everyone, rather than protect 99% of America? Anyone who rejects a deal that gives them 99% of what they want isn't making an effort to compromise.