[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Turkeys - Are they really that stupid?

gbpfan1231

This morning I woke up and when I was making coffee I saw a mom turkey and 5 babies like 2 feet from my patio. I have a fenced in yard but keep the gate to the back end open. They hung out for maybe 10 minutes and left.

Now about an hour ago I looked and they are back. They were hanging out on the side of my house and so I opened my screen door and threw out some free food for them. About 10 minutes later they found the free corn and were in heaven munching it down like it was the best meal ever.

Well then idiots could not remember how to get out of my yard. They spent about 10 minutes walking along the fence going back and forth. Eventually the mom found the opening and walked out but she didn't bother to tell the followers. So now the babies were on one side and the mom on the other.

20 minutes go by with both them going to the left and to the right and when they got to the opening of the gate they seemed to think it was just more gate and would always turn around instead of taking a right turn like 4 feet and being home free.

The mom was gone for 5 minutes and came back with another adult and they both came in the yard and now both adults can't get out again.

It is obvious that it must be the first time this turkey has been a mom - she obviously lacks leadership skills big time and is in no way prepared for the job. The helper is just running around like crazy just throwing out ideas to see if they will stick. It has been going on now for almost 1.5 hours and is kind of painful to watch.

I named the mom Obama and the other adult Pelosi. I feel very sorry the next geration of turkeys.

Edited by gbpfan1231

Yes, turkeys are really that stupid. They have great instincts (their hearing and especially eyesight are impeccable, but unlike deer they can't smell a thing), but are dumb as a rock.

IMO, there is not any type of hunting that is more exciting than making a call, having a bunch of toms gobble back, and then work them until in some cases they're running right towards you looking for some ass. However, it takes a lot practice and experience in a place like GA where there's more hunting pressure and less land for them to hide away in.

They're also very habitual creatures, so they're easy to track and figure out where they're roosting and going if you don't spook them. One day we were trying to call one in, but had a bunch of thick woods in-betwen us and the turkey, so he was gobbling, but couldn't get to where we were. The next day we made the mistake of deciding to hit another spot first and then come there. By the time we got there, sure enough that turkey was standing there almost in the exact spot we were calling from the day before, and we spooked him as we walked in. Lesson learned.

Anyways, sorry for the hunting rant, but they are completely simple creatures that have only survived by strong survival instincts.

Edited by delusions of grandeur

Yes, turkeys are really that stupid. They have great instincts (their hearing and especially eyesight are impeccable, but unlike deer they can't smell a thing), but are dumb as a rock.

IMO, there is not any type of hunting that is more exciting than making a call, having a bunch of toms gobble back, and then work them until in some cases they're running right towards you looking for some ass. However, it takes a lot practice and experience in a place like GA where there's more hunting pressure and less land for them to hide away in.

They're also very habitual creatures, so they're easy to track and figure out where they're roosting and going if you don't spook them. One day we were trying to call one in, but had a bunch of thick woods in-betwen us and the turkey, so he was gobbling, but couldn't get to where we were. The next day we made the mistake of deciding to hit another spot first and then come there. By the time we got there, sure enough that turkey was standing there almost in the exact spot we were calling from the day before, and we spooked him as we walked in. Lesson learned.

Anyways, sorry for the hunting rant, but they are completely simple creatures that have only survived by strong survival instincts.

Thanks for the info.

I bet I watched them for almost 3 hours. Once in a while 3 would make it out but the other 4 would make a left turn just before the opening and get caught again. I could not believe how they could not figure it out.

The only sad part was you could hear the young ones crying when the mom would get out and then a fence was between them and the mom.

They made it out after a long time but I am thinking they might be back - probably dumb to throw corn out for them.

they definitely arent the sharpest beak in the shed....but as far as fine feathered friends go, the ravens & crows are incredibly smart: see #8 on the following list:

http://www.toptenz.net/top-10-smartest-animals.php

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

They were back about 15 minutes ago. The babies came in but mom could not figure out how to get in this time. Babies made it back out to mom with no issues.

Sorry GOP

they definitely arent the sharpest beak in the shed....but as far as fine feathered friends go, the ravens & crows are incredibly smart: see #8 on the following list:

http://www.toptenz.n...est-animals.php

I've had those birds raid my golf cart during a round. Picked it clean of everything edible!!

If cartoons have taught me anything, and I believe that they have, it is that turkeys are dumb and stumbling creatures right up until a day or two before Thanksgiving at which time they become wilely, and even a little dangerous. Caution my friend!

Oh, they seem to get clued in if you leave a calendar by the chopping block. Sharpen your ax well out of their sight and at least a month prior to Thanksgiving.

Turkey's are stoopid. And mean. And tough.

My favorite memory is walking with my 12 year old nephew turkey hunting. He's got a 20 gauge shotgun, comes across one and unloads on its chest from 15 yards away. Bird takes the brunt of it, rolls over twice, gets up and walks away. :lol:

THIS ^

I might add that the "mom" is called a Hen and the "babies" are called Poults.

Oliver Wendell Douglas, city slicker, moves out to Green Acres to be a gentleman farmer. Naturally he needs some animals so he sets out to buy some from the neighboring farmer. He tells the neighbor what he wants when he is informed he wants "livestock" not animals. The neighbor then asks what he wants specifically. Oliver replies he is going to need a chicken, a rooster, and a donkey.

The neighbor tells him that out there in farm country those are properly termed "pullets", "cocks" and "asses"

Well the deal gets made and Oliver sets off to lead his livestock back home when the ass abrubtly sits and refuses to move. Asking how to deal with the recalcitrant ass the experienced farmer says you can pull and curse and yell and whip the ass all day and get nowhere, or you can simply give him a little scratch under the chin and he will get up and be cooperative. Oliver hands the poultry to the farmer,tries it, and it works.

Off Oliver goes with the poultry one under each arm and the ass in tow on a leader. Walking back to his farm the ass sits down and won't budge. Oliver finds he cannot scratch the ass while holding the poultry. He is in a quandry. Just then an unusually lovely woman comes driving bye. She sees he needs help and she gets out to ask how she might be of assistance. He says he has had a rough day and he would appreciate it if she would just hold on to his cock and pullet while he scratches his ass.

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders