[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lemme ask this...

SEC=UGA

I mean that The System might be too convoluted and confusing for the average person to know that there's a 'death spiral' problem going on. Most people are too busy living to dedicate enough energy to full comprehend the direction that we're heading.

:lol:

So anyone who disagrees with you is stupid, confused or hasn't thoroughly examined the situation?

I think Americans can fix almost anything. We've been through much tougher times in the past and found the will that swung the pendulum the opposite way.

It would be depressing to think that most Americans are satisfied enough with the current state and direction of the country that they would choose to continue down this path.

I guess we're talking about SS here?

People were more willing to make a personal sacrifice during those tough times in the past. Today its more ME ME ME.

Also people were willing to compromise, both the average citizens and people governing. Today, not nearly as much.

Can we fix it, probably. Will it happen before we're ready to fall off the cliff (become insolvent), probably not. Will it be painless, most definitely not. Anybody who is 40-60 has lived watching the rules change during their working life. So they'll keep changing, with age limits rising, etc.

I guess we're talking about SS here?

People were more willing to make a personal sacrifice during those tough times in the past. Today its more ME ME ME.

Also people were willing to compromise, both the average citizens and people governing. Today, not nearly as much.

I would like some examples of "More Willing". Forced taxation is nothing of the sort. Secondly, more willing to compromise also comes into question.

One only really has to look at revenue to see the amounts into the government today as opposed to 1980 as an example. There does come a point when the now close to a minority are paying 100% of all income taxes that this group will rise up against the tyranny that ensures 50% of the workforce contributes ZERO in income tax.

We are fast approaching that tipping point. At some point those that work and pay zero may have to put off that flat panel and pay some percentage of income even if small to actually contribute. That is what fairness actually is in my book. No question ME Me Me is in play but that is true throughout the spectrum from the rich to the hand out entitlement group that has figured out just how it easy it is to sit at home and game the system.

I agree, fixing this will be painful.

I think Americans can fix almost anything. We've been through much tougher times in the past and found the will that swung the pendulum the opposite way.

It would be depressing to think that most Americans are satisfied enough with the current state and direction of the country that they would choose to continue down this path.

When you reference the pendulum swing, do you mean from the policies you mentioned in your evenutal and nicely brief response to SEC's lengthy opening to policies favored by the other side of the political aisle?

Or were you talking about a bipartisan swing away from fundamental issues with how we're doing everything?

I would like some examples of "More Willing". Forced taxation is nothing of the sort. Secondly, more willing to compromise also comes into question.

One only really has to look at revenue to see the amounts into the government today as opposed to 1980 as an example. There does come a point when the now close to a minority are paying 100% of all income taxes that this group will rise up against the tyranny that ensures 50% of the workforce contributes ZERO in income tax.

We are fast approaching that tipping point. At some point those that work and pay zero may have to put off that flat panel and pay some percentage of income even if small to actually contribute. That is what fairness actually is in my book. No question ME Me Me is in play but that is true throughout the spectrum from the rich to the hand out entitlement group that has figured out just how it easy it is to sit at home and game the system.

I agree, fixing this will be painful.

I'm talking about back in the 30s, then during WWII. People back then were more willing to sacrifice for the common good.

Do you think that would happen today, even under the threat of a global war that could wipe out free society? I'm not so sure, I don't have that much faith in the average American.

I never implied anything about forced taxation. I'm saying both the people and the government are not very eager to address these massive problems. And when you start telling the people "listen you're going to get less, and have to wait longer for it, or SS will go bankrupt" they'll be lots of angry people. They all want theirs and don't care about the future.

Maybe I'm just overly pessimistic.