[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Any AutoCAD experts?

rajncajn

As much as it pains me to say this, I am horribly out of practice and some of the things I used to be able to do in my sleep are either no longer done the same way or I've completely forgotten how.

I am trying to export a manually generated material list (not an AutoCAD "table") to an Excel spreadsheet or a .csv file. I've tried selecting the text and right clicking, but there is no export option like you get with the AutoCAD Table function. I've also tried selecting the text and going directly to Export, but I see no option to save it as a .csv or any other Excel compatible file.

As much as it pains me to say this, I am horribly out of practice and some of the things I used to be able to do in my sleep are either no longer done the same way or I've completely forgotten how.

I am trying to export a manually generated material list (not an AutoCAD "table") to an Excel spreadsheet or a .csv file. I've tried selecting the text and right clicking, but there is no export option like you get with the AutoCAD Table function. I've also tried selecting the text and going directly to Export, but I see no option to save it as a .csv or any other Excel compatible file.

Your opening sentence pretty much describes me now as I have probably used AutoCad twice in the last 7+ years and I never really got into the data transfer that much.

Is this Acad text? If so I know of no stock command to do what you want.

That being said, I'd go out and try to find a LISP routine. I'm sure there is one to do what you want, the problem is finding it. Call the local CC and see if they can lead help you or put onto a user group to help. Here is one I used to belong to... AUGI .

Wish I could help more, Raj.

ETA:

Probably won't work, but did you try to just copy/clip it and paste into Excel?

Edited by rocknrobn26

Is it mtext?

I assume it is.

I do not know of any way to export just text.

what happens when you select it all (from within the text editor), copy it all, then try to past it into a excel spreadsheet?

Your opening sentence pretty much describes me now as I have probably used AutoCad twice in the last 7+ years and I never really got into the data transfer that much.

Is this Acad text? If so I know of no stock command to do what you want.

That being said, I'd go out and try to find a LISP routine. I'm sure there is one to do what you want, the problem is finding it. Call the local CC and see if they can lead help you or put onto a user group to help. Here is one I used to belong to... AUGI .

Wish I could help more, Raj.

ETA:

Probably won't work, but did you try to just copy/clip it and paste into Excel?

A LISP routine might do it. Unfortunately it's been way too long for me to remember how to do it. Copy & paste just pastes it as an image and since I'm doing a data comparison between an equipment spreadsheet & what's on the drawing, I need the actual data in the cells. There is an export data command, but you have to export it one column at a time as it not only exports the text, it exports all of it's properties in separate columns as well. . I may see if I can convert the dwg to PDF and then use my PDF editing program to select the text. I also may be able to paste it to a browser. :thinking: I'll have to wait until Monday tho. What really ticks me off is that I KNOW it can be done because I remember doing it. But like you mentioned, it may have been done with a LISP routine.

If it can wait til monday, I'll have my draftsman call you.

Cool, thanks. :tup:

ETA: A former senior designer getting AutoCAD tips from a draftsman... That's like asking an teenager how to put on a rubber. :kicksrock:

Is it mtext?

I assume it is.

I do not know of any way to export just text.

what happens when you select it all (from within the text editor), copy it all, then try to past it into a excel spreadsheet?

It's mtext, but each "cell" is a separate entity so I would have to edit & copy each one separately. :wacko: Maybe if I explode the text... :thinking:

Edited by rajncajn

Here is what I know about AutoCad. It is the best and worst thing to happen to construction in the last 20 or so years. It makes the plans much easier to read. It also has replaced a lot of real architects with computer geeks that have no idea what so ever how to put a building together.

Here is what I know about AutoCad. It is the best and worst thing to happen to construction in the last 20 or so years. It makes the plans much easier to read. It also has replaced a lot of real architects with computer geeks that have no idea what so ever how to put a building together.

True.

Glad I am still a real architect who was taught how to draft by hand...

ACAD is just a tool- and we have seen how a tool can cause problems when not put in check (especially around here).