[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Message Board League 8 Team Thread

DMD

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I am reading correctly, you guys went full circle and want it to remain the same.

I'd still like 24-25 spots.

However, I think the confusion comes from the fact that nobody from on-high weighed in as to whether or not expanding the number of rounds was doable, and so some of the owners in the league have made decisions based on this being an 18 rounder and would like to not see the draft extended.

So, I'm fine either way. Thanks for doing this, DMD.

I draft in a 8 man league every year. Actually 16 person league with two 8 man drafts each.

I know that my team here isn't as tremendous as it is in my local league each year. And to look at each roster and to determine which team you think would win, good luck with that. Adding to the roster size would create the same effect as having waivers through out the season.

I will be the first one to say, that I don't know which RB or WR will move up three places on the depth chart and become a stud. Figure each team has 2 QBs, 3 RBs, 4 WRs, and 2 TEs along with kickers. That's 416 players. 416 divide by 8 is 52 per roster.

There you go.

However, I think the confusion comes from the fact that nobody from on-high weighed in as to whether or not expanding the number of rounds was doable, and so some of the owners in the league have made decisions based on this being an 18 rounder and would like to not see the draft extended.

Well put. I woud like a longer draft as it means more fun for this league since it's all we can really do, but if some people would feel that they are being given a disadvantage if it was extended then that is a valid reason not to extend it.

...and, I'd made decisions expecting the draft to continue...

...alas...

No perfect solution exists; I'm happy to play the role of 'martyr' on this issue ... and still kick your arse anyhow! :brow:

I agree. Would prefer to extend rosters but since this league is free, I'm not going to argue too heavily in favor.

I draft in a 8 man league every year. Actually 16 person league with two 8 man drafts each.

I know that my team here isn't as tremendous as it is in my local league each year. And to look at each roster and to determine which team you think would win, good luck with that. Adding to the roster size would create the same effect as having waivers through out the season.

I will be the first one to say, that I don't know which RB or WR will move up three places on the depth chart and become a stud. Figure each team has 2 QBs, 3 RBs, 4 WRs, and 2 TEs along with kickers. That's 416 players. 416 divide by 8 is 52 per roster.

There you go.

That's exactly why we should want the expanded rosters. With the limited bench, if a few players go down with injury, you're screwed. Larger rosters will help with that.

...alas...

No perfect solution exists; I'm happy to play the role of 'martyr' on this issue ... and still kick your arse anyhow! :brow:

But I don't see that as a reason to take a kicker earlier than anybody else. Was that a factor in doing that?

...alas...

Only difference was the league was set to 16 roster spots, and it was unclear if there was enough support for a change or if it such a change would be feasible or approved. :tup:

I am pretty sure I'll get my arse kicked this season either way with my questionable RBs.

Except that if I knew rosters could support more than 10 RB/WR, I would have waited alot longer to draft Defs & Ks & backup QBs & TEs.

I would have as well, and yet would be fine with expanding the rosters. I took the first D off the board but did so because I figured, it was sort of a funky league so I'd just as soon as root for my favorite team's D (who happens to be bad-ass).

I think 20 is a fine mid-point.

Here's how I see it in generall

1) This is the kind of thing that should typically need a unaimous vote

2) This is, none the less, a free league that pay, what? A $25 prize to the winner only. So it's not like anyone is risking anything.

3) That means, both the side that claims they're being disadvantaged because they drafted a certain way and those who are afraid that this might be decided by luck because rosters aren't deep enough to withstand injuries should be reminded that nobody is wagering anything here.

With that in mind, I'd personally love it if we went to 20 and think we have the votes to expand, unless someone really, truly has a beef with that. Then I say, screw it.

I would have as well, and yet would be fine with expanding the rosters. I took the first D off the board but did so because I figured, it was sort of a funky league so I'd just as soon as root for my favorite team's D (who happens to be bad-ass).

I think 20 is a fine mid-point.

Here's how I see it in generall

1) This is the kind of thing that should typically need a unaimous vote

2) This is, none the less, a free league that pay, what? A $25 prize to the winner only. So it's not like anyone is risking anything.

3) That means, both the side that claims they're being disadvantaged because they drafted a certain way and those who are afraid that this might be decided by luck because rosters aren't deep enough to withstand injuries should be reminded that nobody is wagering anything here.

With that in mind, I'd personally love it if we went to 20 and think we have the votes to expand, unless someone really, truly has a beef with that. Then I say, screw it.

Sounds good to me. 20 is a good compromise.

No you didn't.

I took the 1st and the 3rd DEF's off the board at picks 10.01 and 13.08.

Oops, missed that. At any rate, we both took Ds off the board earlier than anyone and, are none the less, happy with expanding to 20.

I'm against changing rules mid-draft out of principle. With that said, I'll agree to the 20 roster spot compromise, but won't be making any further picks until the issue is settled.

Is a change in roster spots mid-draft even permitted in the system we are using?

I'm against changing rules mid-draft out of principle. With that said, I'll agree to the 20 roster spot compromise, but won't be making any further picks until the issue is settled.

Is a change in roster spots mid-draft even permitted in the system we are using?

I basically agree with this but think any vote or change considered should be done at the end of a round not in the middle.

This may have been commented on, but how did MJD last till the 5th round? The comments from MJD today were positive and I think he's back in camp by week one. I must be in the minority here.

The 5th round happened yesterday when things were sounding pretty bleak. Also, 5th round in a 8 team league ~ 3rd round in a 12 team league, so it's not as late as it seems.

I never knew that actually changing it was an option. How about a two round "supplemental" draft after this one is done? BUT I will say that replacing your first round stud that goes down for the year with a RB you drafted in the 20th round probably isn't going to be the insurance tha you are all looking for. There's a reason that teams don't play their 3rd or 4th best one and it's probably because they aren't as good. ;)

And if somebody picks off the correct depth chart Nd somebody else picks off the wrong one, does that show who is better at drafting or who is still luckier?

(I typed this on my phone while I was in the car wash. My car was in dry mode and I didn't edit at the time.)

Edited by MikesVikes

I never knew that actually changing it was an option. How about a two round "supplemental" draft after this one is done? BUT I will say that replacing your first round stud that goes down for the year with a RB you drafted in the 20th round probably isn't going to be the insurance tha you are all looking for. There's a reason that teams don't play their 3rd or 4th best one and it's probably because they aren't as good. ;)

And if somebody picks off the correct depth chart Nd somebody else picks off the wrong one, does that show who is better at drafting or who is still luckier?

I don't think that's the case. Rather, just enough depth so that nobody is starting zeros at any positions come December. Hell, you never draft 2 Kickers, but it'd be nice to have one in this league. Say your kicker blows an ACL in week 2? You're giving up 5-10 pts a week every week from that point on.