[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A draft day to remember

cliaz

Last year I won our league (naturally) and told everyone that if we held draft at this dude's hunting cabin up in western PA that I would donate the winnings to fund a weekend up there. This dude Jeff had been talking about us going up there for draft but we never have. It was such a f*cking good idea. It was some serious driving up in those mountains and well off the grid - no signals for the last 20 minutes of the drive.

25 acres wedged in a hollow that had a 200 year old cabin with running water from a spring 20 feet from it. They rigged up a pump so you could have a flushing toilet. It also had a collection of every playboy and hustler up until 1995. Some of those late 70s sex toy adds are just hilarious. It slept like 15 people which meant there were two rooms upstairs with what i can only describe as human trafficking sex slave bunk beds made out of lumber and dirty mattresses stacked 3 to 4 high.

Let me tell you, aside from the event where one of the new guys decided to disappear to find and buy apple moonshine, you were truly alone. And that moonshine was freaking good, btw. The entire weekend was like the hillbilly version of 'The Hangover.'

There was a ton of beer, a few bottles of nice 10 year old single malt, hand guns and assault weapons galore, a dynamite tossing contest, horseshoe competition, I can't tell you how many pigs died for all that bacon and pork roast, an Owl that f*cked with me at night, coyotes, snoring, two almost fatal widow maker branches falling out of nowhere, three damaged cars and I drafted a decent team. Kill me now because life doesn't get any better.

Sounds awesome! Quick question, I only have about 3-4 friends who actually are into fantasy sports. If I am looking for a offline league to join that drafts in person, how can I go about finding one? I've always wanted to do something like this.

It appears to be what we call a "meat" weekend. Fruits and vegetables few and far between, and nothing but guys doing what guys do. Aren't you glad you made the suggestion and followed through? Following through on ideas does serve a purpose in this world.

On the flip side of drafting in the wilderness, one of the SILs had a draft at a Buffalo Wild Wings in St. Louis last week. They were promised a back room with a draft board and $100 bucks of coupons for food. Ended up getting two tables pushed together, a cardboard draft board and a $100 coupon not good till the next day. He said it was still a blast as everyone announced their picks in stadium announcer voices. Alcohol was involved.