[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

McJobs

Azazello1313

we haven't really heard that word since, well, 2004 I guess:

Some 58% of the jobs created during the recovery have been low-wage positions, according to a new report by the National Employment Law Project. Only 22% have been mid-wage jobs and 20% higher-wage positions. These low-wage jobs pay $13.83 an hour or less.

which I guess also helps explain why median income has fallen more during the current "recovery" than it did during the recession.

Median household income fell 4.8 percent on an inflation-adjusted basis since the recession ended in June 2009, more than the 2.6 percent drop during the 18-month contraction, the research firm’s Gordon Green and John Coder wrote in a report today. Household income is 7.2 percent below the December 2007 level, the former Census Bureau economic statisticians wrote.

“Almost every group is worse off than it was three years ago, and some groups had very large declines in income,” Green, who previously directed work on the Census Bureau’s income and poverty statistics program, said in a phone interview today.“We’re in an unprecedented period of economic stagnation.”

Edited by Azazello1313

All kidding aside this news is not all that surprising given that:

1) job and wage growth tend to lag economic growth

and

2) our whole economy continues to undergo a structural shift from a manufacturing economy to a service and ideas based economy where lower paying unskilled jobs dominate. This would be true regardless of who was in the seats of power in Washington.

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

No doubt it sucks, but compared to the hole we were in was quicker growth even possible? Serious question.

usually, you see what is called the rubber band effect, where the deeper the recession, the stronger the snap-back to trend once genuine recovery is underway. this, to my knowledge, is more or less true of every US recession/recovery EXCEPT the Great Depression and this one.

Low wage jobs pay $13.83 per hour or less?

We live in the greatest of countries.

$28,000 (and that's the top end for a full-time employee in that range) doesn't go nearly as far anymore, when just basic living costs continue to increase. I had to do a double take the last few times I've gone shopping at the store at the prices (of course this is also a component of gas prices, but that's a whole different matter alltogether, though obviously inflation as always has affected it too).

The only ones who benefit from higher minimum wages and inflation are the big boys who can streamline costs, while it hurts smaller companies' ability to compete. Also, higher wages are also a big reason for unemployment that disproportionately affects the less educated/skilled minorities and poor.

I'll stop now though, because I'm pretty sure we've had this discussion before, and it fell on deaf ears. I'm not sure when the Keynesians will realize that you can't manipulate and inflate your way out of this mess.

Edited by delusions of grandeur

So squeezing more out of less just started happening during this admin.? Sorry it has been happening since 9/12 and they've been using 9/11 as an excuse ever since. Of course our brilliant and moralistic GOP hatchetman candidate whom shipped millions of American jobs ove seas after taking over companies has little or nothing to do with it? Man I need to smoke a little reefer and try and forget about this. Then I can believe anything I want to when reading. I have actually stayed about even the past 4 years. It was the 8 before that really dropped the boom on most folks such as myself.

Edited by Hugh B Tool

So squeezing more out of less just started happening during this admin.? Sorry it has been happening since 9/12 and they've been using 9/11 as an excuse ever since. Of course our brilliant and moralistic GOP hatchetman candidate whom shipped millions of American jobs ove seas after taking over companies has little or nothing to do with it? Man I need to smoke a little reefer and try and forget about this. Then I can believe anything I want to when reading. I have actually stayed about even the past 4 years. It was the 8 before that really dropped the boom on most folks such as myself.

Can you name the companies that The Hatchetman Candidate took over and then the number of jobs from those companies that he shipped overseas? TIA

2) our whole economy continues to undergo a structural shift from a manufacturing economy to a service and ideas based economy where lower paying unskilled jobs dominate. This would be true regardless of who was in the seats of power in Washington.

This pisses me off to no end. I cannot get good steel, aluminum or nickel in this country anymore without having to wait a year or more. It is becoming impossible to actually build anything. :furious: and don't get me started on that crap that the Chinese are passing off as steel. MFer's are poisoning the hell out of the world and no one gives a taco because it's cheap.

• Like 1

We need to take all the money from the rich! It will fix everything*

* - for about 8 1/2 days. After that we'll have to find another source of income... :thinking:

Let's cross that bridge 8 & 1/2 days from now, or as Obama would have it 8 & 1/2 days after the election.

We need to take all the money from the rich! It will fix everything*

* - for about 8 1/2 days. After that we'll have to find another source of income... :thinking:

Since you're so good at building straw men, I could use a scarecrow for the my vegetable garden.

Since you're so good at building straw men, I could use a scarecrow for the my vegetable garden.

I've got a Brett Favre Big Head I could send. If you wrap that around a duffle bag it could make a nice scarecrow. It would also keep Jenn Sterger's out of your garden.

• Like 1